Oni's 2nd grow. Continued

Zelda is looking a lot better today. Yesterday I pruned off the sick leaves. Any new issues that show up claws excluded can be used to diagnose her properly. Her leaves perked up nicely too. Next time she asks for water I’ll fill the bin I have and put her in that to let her soak up water properly and without dry pockets. I’ll use a zxmean to keep her from going to sleep while she’s out of the tent. During that time I’ll get her stand ready. I’m looking around the house later after I slept for things that can be used safely to keep her from getting soggy roots.

Nothing special of note with tulip while she’s correcting her branches and adjusting to her last training. She can lift though. Those metal things are as heavy as my phone.ill work on finding something I can use to make training simpler. ATM my method involves tying a loop around the stem and if the stem gets too thick I have to cut and redo the string. I also have to keep a eye in the stem though. The wire I used on Zelda’s stem dug into it and if I waited much longer she’d have been topped by accident.

Midna is adjusting nicely to the pot. She’s growing new leaves again and not slowing down growth at all. In fact her pace picked up after the transplant. The soil mix I gave her was the 50:50 mix of my old soil and the 50:50 mix of fox farm ocean Forest potting soil and happy frog potting soil. She’s loved it her whole life, so I’ll keep her in it as long as she’s liking it.

Daisey is still covered in clear trichomes. An occasional dark one here and there. Mostly clear trichomes and some cloudy. I have to learn more clearly as I have no idea how far back she was stunted and where she thinks she is towards the 10 weeks she should have. She’s getting extremely frosty and not swallowing the trichomes to new bud growth. I’m excited to see how she is up to harvest :heart_eyes:

Humidity dropped again, but the house humidity did also. Tomorrow I’ll be boiling plenty of water for non grow related reasons, so it should help the humidity in the house regulate better once it’s bounced back from dry.

Pics may wait until morning or will happen soon. If nothing else I make sure I add my notes.

1 Like

I have some hdr pics to compare shots.

Sorry about any blurry shots. My phone was freaking out and I couldn’t see the shot before I took it.

Zelda HDR

Zelda

Daisey HDR

Daisey

Daisey flash on

No more HDR pics.

Midna

Tulip

Hygrometer

Basil pot

I went in the tent and saw Tulip wilted also with no structure to the leaves. Lifeless. I mixed up water to 74.4f and Tulip went in first. She’s draining now 8n the tent. I used a old cardboard box and added layers inside to soak up the water that didn’t already drain off before she went in the tent again. I soaked her for 30 minutes and watered her from the top. She’s already perked up and back to life again. She even grew towards the zxmean like it was all that is. Look at that growth pattern. All pointing to one spot :joy:

I had the same suspicion about Zelda and she wanted water again. She started wilting more again closing the leaves again. I followed the same suspicion. The pictures are from before I added water on top to help her soak it up. Once I leave her in it a bit the soil should finish soaking up and Zelda should hopefully perk up just like Tulip did. Should function as a partial flush or something like that. Idk, but I do know tulip acted like doing that was the right move. Just minutes after she perked up like it never happened.

Once I finish uploading the pictures I’ll check on Zelda. I opened all my windows to let in as much natural light as possible for her to be happy 2 zxmeans are on the desk behind her to add some extra light. Tulip liked it at least. Should give Zelda some extra energy once she’s back in the tent.

I’m doing the same for daisey. Should get any built up shit out of the soil and fully hydrate her soil to spread her roots and finish budding.

1 Like

Update on Zelda. I checked on her after posting last and her topsoil was still pale as dirt, so I watered from the top again and let her drain down before I put her back in and let her soak up water more. She’s starting to perk up also, so my instinct was correct. Somehow she didn’t have enough water still. For whatever reason she needed more. Hopefully this will help. Especially with the rate of growth once the soil is allowing it without dry pockets. Tulip grew fast immediately after her soil was watered from the bottom and sides from halfway up. Zelda is pressed against the sides slightly. Her pot is bigger :sweat_smile: once I clean my tub I can use that to water like this. If I wanted to water with a tea though it’ll be with this bin. The solids won’t go through the pot, but the small particles can pass through the pot. I’d be putting them in the tub to wash off and drain the outside of the pots if anything thinking of it now.

Anyways I’m giving her about 20 more minutes to soak from the bottom like this before I let her drain and head back in the tent for daisey turn.

Here’s Zelda and the family as of now. Daisey still needs a soak for a little bit and Midna is now getting a soak too. Front of the tent is open and the zxmean lights are pointed towards the tent.

Last progress update before lights out.

Midna may be overwatered a bit. Price to pay to keep her soil fully moistened. She was allowed to drain fully. Now she dries until she asks for water like the rest of them. Her soil also dried up a bit and deflated in volume. After soaking all of them became heavier and Zelda I needed help moving after watering.

Daisey is looking good. Her soil is fully saturated instead of shrinking 2" from the walls of the pot.

Tulip is very happy with the watering. Also I let her weights go. She’s all natural now past her strings that don’t get in the way of watering her.

I raised the lights up to 18" from the top of Zelda’s canopy. Midna is now in the front right side of the tent.

Humidity climbed up higher than ever once the soil was made hydrophilic again. All of them were floating and I had to push down to keep them in the water. Next time shouldn’t be as bad. LITFA from here.

All plants look much better this morning. Zelda’s soil has already dried out down 2" overnight. It’s apparently moved down instead as the Bottom is more wet than the middle and the top is just dry.

I’ll wait to water Zelda again until she’s looking thirsty. She either drank a lot or would be stressed by having water again so soon I’m sure. With how much the pot fought with me and the water to stay down it might have needed more time soaking. Next time I’ll water with s lot more than last time letting her drink up fully and hopefully rehydrate the peat or whatever is making this soil so difficult to work with.

4 Likes

Plants are all looking good today. I’ll have to figure out a watering technique that works for Zelda. Maybe I get her water warmer next time as 74f wasn’t feeling that warm to me. Maybe I’ll go for 77-80f next watering. That way they hopefully aren’t floating around in the water again.

No pics just yet. I need to charge my phone before that. 10 days until flower though. It feels so nice to have them so close to flower.

I want your opinion on this. Should I start to prep the soil with some bloom nutrients next feed? Transition the nutrients to bloom without cold turkey switching.

Looking like I won’t be changing pots for the flip to flower now as I waited too long to do it. Not like it would have mattered in the end. At most I’d have gotten a Oz more this grow if I did that in the best case scenario at my current skill level.

I’ll work on fixing this soil instead. How can I mix in compost to add some water retention to the soil? Am I screwed there or is there a way to water it in?

I’m thinking I used up anything it had getting here with my long veg time.

Zelda’s topsoil is dry 1.5" down, so looking like I’ll be watering again tomorrow. Very good root development at the surface if the topsoil. I ripped roots sticking my fingers in. closer to Zelda’s base it’s 1" down before I can feel moisture. She has something happening to the leaves here. Just a couple leaves rn, but I’m not sure what the deficiency is she’s showing me.

The rest of the pots soil looks nice, so I think I just didn’t soak her long enough to fully saturate all of her soil. She got the same 1 hour soak time as the 3 gallon pots. She’s in a 7 gallon pot. I’m thinking I’ll leave her in the water until she’s looking wet on the surface adding water as needed to keep her soaking up all the water. I’ll let her drain as fully as I can before I put her on the makeshift base to soak up excess water that’s still dripping before they go into the tent again. The 3 gallon pots were allowed to drain out of the tent before the last few drops per minute rate happened. They still let go of water once they went in the tent, so that can be playing a part. I can’t wait to get some compost to add to the soil and later on grabbing some worms to add in my pots directly.

Daisey is doing really well today. She’s bulked up a decent amount and is making nice big buds per site now. I added ewc to her topsoil before watering.

Now as for Midna she’s doing extremely well considering she had my phone dropped on her a day ago before watering and flattened her flush with the soil immediately after I had sprayed her leaves to keep them moist and happy while her pot is drying. It may have worked out perfectly as she was getting a bit Woody before that. She’s seemingly growing fast like she didn’t mind that much. Good vigour on this one. She looks happy despite the taco tips from what appears to be heat stress.

Tulip looks very Happy where she’s at now and once I gave her water she perked up and started growing fast. If I had more lights I’d give them all a bigger pot and mix in compost with the soil before the last transplant, but next grow I guess.

I put in the other hygrometer in the tent so the lucky 7s could have their own one. The humidity is different in different spots of the tent.

I have to get things lined up before my 3rd grow starts. At least a month after this grow finishes is when I may be able to restart my grow.
I want to get things lined up first before I get another grow going. At least 8 QB in there. A easily drained stand for the pots. Definitely a proper way to water from the bottom. I need to get a better way to get the humidity in check both up and down.

Otherwise my next grow is going to be a windowsill grow while I’m not able to between this and my next proper grow.

Here’s the basil pot too. Might end up with something helpful by the end of the grow or I’ll be nurturing them for my windowsil herb garden. Create a pest free zone in my place before the next grow.

1 Like

The lights wound up at 16" from the canopy, so I raised the lights to 18" and the light above Daisey I had to raise up to 13" above her as it was at 9" from the light when I checked.

I think Zelda has a phosphorus deficiency or a potassium deficiency. I’m not sure which, but I do know her tips go necrotic and die. I’m not sure if the interveinal chlorosis is related or not.

Lights out pics. Midna appears to have found the soil still retaining water as this morning she was happy and reaching. She’ll be fine soon. I’ll just wait for her to finish spreading roots through this pot before she goes in her final 3 gallon pot. I’ll mix that soil with compost, ewc, and some peat as that water retention is piss poor, but I don’t want to make it retain too much. I’ll be getting some compost at least tomorrow and if possible more. Let’s see what I can ask for first before I make it expensive.

Zelda

Tulip

Daisey

Midna

Hygrometer

2 Likes

Today is like I had expected. Midna got through that water pretty quick and now she’s looking pretty happy again. Maybe she was just tired. Whatever the case she’s looking happy again. I checked her soil and it’s dry 2" down.

Zelda is looking pretty much the same as she’s recovering. She’s probably working on thicken up her stem while she’s waiting to flower. I let her weight on one of the stems the other day and it’s stayed in pretty much the same spot. She doesn’t seem to want water today. I added 16oz yesterday to the topsoil in the afternoon to help bring it up from the bottom and looks like it spread out more evenly now. Not sure if she needs any more water today, but we’ll see when I wake up.

Daisey is still bulking up nicely. Not sure when she’ll finish, but I won’t complain if she wants to give me some good bud while I wait for flower. It’s going to be interesting if she lasts another month. I’m waiting for her to stop increasing the quality of the bud she has.

Tulip is just focusing on her existing tops and bushing out. Not much to say about her really rn other than she’s happy and continuing to grow. Her soil is nice and moist still :ok_hand:

It’ll be interesting to see how much I get off this grow despite it all.

Zelda

Tulip

Daisey

Midna

Hygrometer

1 Like

Midna was dry 2" down so I gave her plain water.

Zelda is also dry 2" down, but she just started to perk up, so I’m not sure what I should do. I’m leaning on LITFA and soak later to water if she’s droopy tomorrow.

Daisey is doing more of the same. I’m just waiting on her to start changing trichomes from clear already to give me a timeline. I barely see cloudy and that could be from the LED on my scope.

Tulip doesn’t appear to need any water any time soon and she’s thickening her stems. I’ll have to keep an eye on her oldest loop :sweat_smile: last I checked she was getting close to the size and if she’s at that stage again while she’s working on roots and leaves she already has I have a day to myself it looks like.

I’ll be back tomorrow and I’ll take pics before I go. My aunt died, so I’m heading out for the night.

Midna wound up a Mike. Culled and dumped in a bone dry soil to kill him faster before any pods break open. These were pretty well swollen :frowning:

Here’s the rest of the pics. Editing later. I’m outside

2 Likes

It’s watering day at lights on. Tulip has little moisture anywhere near 2" down. Bone dry up to 2" and hard to tell if any moisture was near TBH.
I checked Zelda’s soil all the way to her base. She’s completely dry up to my index base knuckle, so 4" or so down she’s dry.
Daisey is curious, but she’s dry too. All are very light when I lift them also. Now that I have the storage bin I can water much more efficiently and easier.

The plan is to water with plain water again for all the plants. I’ll be making the water now to be ready by 1am. I’ll be boiling water and adding it to the bin, then letting it naturally cool to room temperature. Bonus is more humidity in the house LoL. Not my intention, but bonus :joy:
I’ll keep the temperature of the house at the temp I want the water at and put it at the end of the vent to keep the water from getting too low on oxygen too quickly if I’m not constantly stirring it. 8 hours won’t be the worst if I stir it occasionally to keep it from stagnating. I’ll invest in a air pump when I’m able

Zelda

Tulip

Hygrometer

1 Like

Water ready for the plants when it’s time. I could only get the water to 106f before it could only drop faster than it could climb higher by the time I got 10 gallons in the bin. It’s currently in front of the exhaust vent to stay at room temp and keep from staying too hot for too long.

I’ll start with Tulip first as she’ll be much simpler to water and then I can put Zelda in it to drink up her fill as slowly as she wants to properly saturate her soil and hopefully see her improve properly. It’ll take effort to get her out of the bin, but shouldn’t be too hard if I plant my feet.

1 Like

Zelda, Tulip, and Daisey have been fully saturated and drained already and are back in the tent.

Now after watering pics:

Zelda

Zelda after draining

Tulip

Daisey

Hygrometer

The water was absolutely nasty looking (:mask:), but it smells perfectly normal. The water was still clear before Zelda was watered​:sweat_smile: this was a good thing I’m sure. I tested it with my phone pen and I think it’s off calibration. It says it’s 5.74 pH. My normally alkaline tap water is saying it’s about 5.8-6 pH. I’ll find my pH drops and vial and test it ASAP to check. If my tap is really that acidic, then I have a problem in that too

1 Like

I tested the pH of the water again this morning and it’s 6.13 pH now. It’s either increasing or the pen is just that off calibration.

Now on to the plants. All are looking happy and healthy after watering. Zelda’s soil is staying hydrated after I wake up for once.

Daisey is lightening up now and looking to be hopefully close to the finish line. I never thought she’d last this long, but as long as I still see clear heads I’ll keep her in the tent :grin:

Tulip is seemingly not doing anything rn. Anytime I think that is true I see a change soon after anyways.

I just woke up, so I won’t be too detailed, but essentially more of the same rn and existing growth appears to be the focus RN. I did handle them Fairly rough to keep from dropping them last night :sweat_smile:

Humidity is much more stable as well. They all drank a lot of water though. The total amount taken from the bin looks to be around 3-4 gallons of water. It took a lot of water to get from the point the water level is at now to where it was before I watered.

2 Likes