Oni's 2nd grow. Continued

I checked Daisey’s trichomes to check maturity and she’s all cloudy now and I can’t find and clear ones left. I could chop her today or let her go up until flower or when she’s Amber. I wish I could find my lens to show the trichomes better than my scope.
I watered her 12 hours ago, so idk if I should chop her or give her a bit longer to drink up and use any remaining energy she has left

3 Likes

I thought she looked about done to me. :+1::seedling:

3 Likes

Her CBD content won’t be compromised if I harvest too early?

I’ll pull her from the tent then. I’ll work what the plan is on a more level head

Daisey is out of the tent and for the moment I have her with the zmeans as ambient light in a closet while I get things ready. May as well give her all the extra light I can provide at the end

Zelda

Tulip

Hygrometer

1 Like

These shouldn’t have much CBD to speak of, but take them when you prefer. I like all cloudy myself.

2 Likes

I think I may have managed to get all cloudy and with the 2 Zxmeans in the closet below I’m seeing her frost up nicely in response apparently.

2 Likes

Daisey is continuing to make some extra frost as I’m leaving her to soak up some of the ambient light from the zxmean lights o have at her feet. IDK why, but they definitely show an effect if they get light from below too. Daisey has a tan already and she got it from just a minute on the closet with the zxmean lights. After 8 hours there is no burst trichome heads and no smell escaping either. Averaging 70f on the closet where she is and on her buds/leaves I see 68-70f at all locations I checked. The air and walls on the closet are averaging 75f with a 70f-75f range for temps. Not sure about humidity at all. She’s not giving off much smell at all though, so I’m not complaining if she wants to keep her terps lol. I’ll keep frosting her up before chop. May as well get all I can off her and make her even better if I can.

Zelda is looking much better today after a couple days to get used to the soil moisture. She looks much healthier today and is starting to turn her leaves upwards all happy like finally. Definitely a note for next time to soak, drain, soak, drain, water from the top, drain, soak, and drain again to rehydrate stubborn soil that’s to dry. All in 86f water.

Tulip is just being Tulip. Bushing out and thickening stems. Not much else going on with her at the moment. She’s growing tops all day everyday, bit that stopped being interesting once she wouldn’t stop and work on another function with that energy. It would seem that the bagseed GSC I got was pollinated by a lucky plant as I’m not seeing any intersex traits yet

Hygrometer

1 Like

Giving daisey a last bit of time to do what she wants to and I’m letting her enjoy the brisk morning air after it just snowed. Her bud and leaf temperature is 50f all over while I let the wind and fresh air make sure she doesn’t have anything nasty able to grow easily. In a little bit I’ll close the window and let her warm back up.

3 Likes

Well shit😅 I guess daisey has another push left in her. I’ll let her finish up what she’s doing now before I pull her. Did I do something to instigate this? All I know is that I went in with tweezers to pick off any bugs and bits of perlite that found their way on a leaf. No issues with the buds to my knowledge. Also something about Daisey kills bugs on contact. They land on her and die within a minute. Gnats too if any decide to wander in. Overall though they don’t show up really anymore. One here and there, but not a colony and they’ve been trying since the beginning of the grow. Maybe it was the scraping of the leaves and stems to get the bugs off that started to promote new growth? Idk if it shows well enough to see, but the side facing the window and cold air seems to have inflated or swollen on that side. I put the zxmean 14" away from the lower buds and 16" from the top. Leaf and bud temperature is back up to 75f and the soil is at 65f.

1 Like

Now for this mornings update properly. Zelda is doing really well after I found out I had in fact snapped the base of one of her top stems. She’s making that knuckle now. I found it when I went in to see how her base stem was. It’s big😅 I won’t be able to chop her down at all. She’s going to be a root pull or I’ll need a saw/axe😂
Her soil is drying at a proper pace now too as I scratched the surface and I saw dark moist soil beneath the dry top layer. I’ll try to get the lobster compost in the next couple of days. I can get a 1 cubic foot bag of it for $8 and it’s a high quality local brand too❤️

Tulip wasn’t getting enough light where she was, so I put her closer to the seedling light to get the other side of her to get more light. She’s been focusing on growing tall and bushy, so she’s going all out. It hasn’t been gradual, bit because it’s been constant and even growth I didn’t notice it until I took a shot today and she was out of frame at the angle I usually use. Not all of her tops are even though with some at 4" below the rest.

Humidity is much more stable now at 40% average. It drops about 1% when I go in the tent, so unless an emergency happens I’m going LITFA.

1 Like

I’m debating on how I should hang and dry Daisey. Should I use the same paper bag upside down in another paper bag way I did for Diana?

Also that’s Daisey in UV and IR to get the colors. Otherwise it would be 5000k color correction.

1 Like

I missed out on lights off pics. I’ll take them when I can after lights turn on. Lights are off for daisey as well. I’ll be pulling her out and washing her roots before I put her in the bag I made for Diana. She won’t be as fast drying as Diana was, but it’ll be 30% or below for humidity in the house, so the double bag and in the closet to stay cool and as humid as I can manage. Hopefully it’ll be above 30% in the bag isolated. The closet is usually in between the house temp and the outside temp. Should be the best spot anyways. If I can get that diffuser working again I can use that in the drying process.

Zelda’s looking a little stressed out now. Of I didn’t know better I’d say it’s heat stress. The leaves definitely are telling me something, but idk what ATM. I just woke up, so maybe it’s just not obvious until I’m awake.

The intake vent was too close to the seedlings. While they look fine they were 90° waving 2x every second. I moved them immediately even if they had that all night and were fine.

Tulip is just plain happy. I think the rustling breeze she’s getting is good. She’s very bushy and could use better airflow. I positioned her so that her smaller branches are closer to the seedling light and the rest is under the main lights.

I turned the extraction fan up to 50% from 33%. The smell was starting to leak out finally and the intake plus the plants made enough pressure in the tent that it was neutral instead of negative pressure.

Phone about to die now😅
I’ll charge it and get to work

I think I turned the fan up too high and opened the intake vent too much. I’ve slightly reduced both to regulate humidity and heat better. It made the plants drink too hard or something as the topsoil is dry and crusty and Zelda looks sad. Her branch was looking more torn, so I relieved some pressure on it to let it stay where it’s at and go no further as it heals. The bottom of her pot still has a couple inches of moisture left I can feel. The clover does not look happy
Zelda

Tulip is just plain happy to be here now. She did very much enjoy the lower humidity and lower temp with that strong breeze.
Tulip

Hygrometer

I plan to finally harvest Daisey today after noting that what she’s been doing is getting denser and more frosty the last couple days. Swelling up a bit also. On that note I’ll have a windowsill grow with a Crystal Candy Auto to see how they like the sun and heat they’ll be able to enjoy thanks to my heater exhaust vent that’s near that window Daisey is in love with. Her soil does get warm to the touch if I leave her in the window, but with what I’m seeing that window gives more light than my tent😅
Daisey

4 Likes

Daisey is nice and chunky! Looking good!

3 Likes

I pulled daisey and she’s in her bag in the closet now. It’s nice and dark & cool in the closet and it has passive airflow thanks to the poor construction when they turned a hallway into 2 closets with a wall between them. There’s a leak somewhere and it always has a breeze in there. No complaining here. I have a area I can dry in when my tent is in use. I washed off her roots with water and then took off the lower undeveloped buds that are likely to mold anyways. They were basically soil level and I really don’t want to leave them on to find out it went moldy from that point.
I opted to pull her instead of chop her as I want as slow a dry rate as I can get with her. Since it’s so dry I’m keeping her root on and using a double bag method to keep her from drying too quickly. Those lower buds had no serrated edges on the leaves LoL. Still odd to see on cannabis.

2 Likes

Zelda just keeps confusing me. She’s bushing out and growing, but she doesn’t look happy.
She finally has started to resume growth again at least and her tops are growing in all aspects again, so maybe it’s just all the new growth after she’s been slowly growing for awhile.

If I were to guess what is happening I’d say it’s the main top stem getting nearly snapped in half causing a topping like situation where energy is dispersed across the tops left. She didn’t lose that top and it’s almost fully knuckled up now. It has a lot less stretch with it’s new growth, but it’s growing just like the rest despite the damage.
Zelda

Tulip is growing up so fast today too. She’s really liking her new spot in the tent buffering the breeze for Zelda. Maybe it’s in part due to her having a lot more light than before and a nice rustling breeze.

Actually on a second glance she’s drooping also. I’m going to have to water her in the morning. Last time she went lifeless if I waited to water all at the same time.
Tulip

Hygrometer

I tested my tap water today with a few ppm tester strips for pools and it couldn’t find any chlorine in my tap water at all. My tap water tested at 7 +/- 0.15 pH it matched up with the 7.2ph square and my pen decided to function after I had checked it for accuracy with the strips and measured only slightly lower than the strips. The runoff still hasn’t turned anaerobic and it’s testing at total hardness 500ppm, alkalinity 80ppm, 6.8-7.2 pH (pen 6.8 strip 7.2), 0ppm free chlorine, and 0ppm total chlorine.

Tomorrow I’ll be able to check the ppm of the tap properly, but it was around 250ppm I think if it wasn’t the 100ppm one. I’ll check in the morning and check to be sure. Funny though that the runoff is testing like a slightly higher ppm than I would want for nute water. My thoughts on it seem to be correct and it’s full of microbiology from the soil. Before it turns I’ll add it to the garden outside and let it do some good. The winter plants seem to love the runoff I give them or they just appreciate being watered LoL

1 Like

Now I’ve finally figured out at least part of why Zelda looked so sick. It was a combination of the lights being 14" from her tops, stress from slowly snapping her main top stem, and end of day drooping. Anything else causing it I’m unsure of, but I did just finally place my finger on what was going on. I went in to check on them and take pictures and when I used my 17" board to check distance from the lights I noticed that Zelda was at 14" from the lights.
Zelda

Tulip was just drooping from end of day energy loss. She won’t be dealing with it that long, so she’ll be very happy when it’s time to flower.

Tulip

3 Likes

I’m heading out to grab the compost soon.

I should only need half of it to add to my topsoil and the other half I can use on my rye berries with some gypsum and coffee to start my myco finally.

1 Like

Okay, so Change of plans. The website said they had it in stock, but when I go in they didn’t. It sucks, but that’s life. They’ll call me when it’s in stock