Oni's 2nd grow. Continued

I got a lot more than I expected. I’ve done smoke tests already and it still needs to cure a lot longer, but it’s a strong citrus, skunk, and pine with a note of black pepper and sweet in the background. I’m waiting on the grassy taste to lessen more. It’s way less than it was when I jarred it…

2 Likes

I just watered Zelda and Tulip. The leaves are confusing me though. Zelda shows both under and over watering symptoms. Tulip is a easy tell and she’s just losing life a bit. She’ll perk up after she drinks.

I’ll provide a follow-up update once they drink what I gave. These pictures are from right after I gave them water

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like

Zelda has perked up a good amount today. Her soil is acting much better today also. I checked the surface moisture and for once at this time after waking up the topsoil still has moisture, but it’s not damp or wet looking. Still dark though. Perfect moisture level. It’ll form in a ball if I squeeze it and fall apart if touched after. It feels a little cold though, but my skin isn’t the best judge of temperature. I run 100f and my fingers run 88f. To answer your probable question yes I’m always both cold and warm. It’s awful and I don’t like it. Moving on I used my IR gun and it said Zelda’s soil was 77f at the surface and 66f at the bottom of the pot. The temperature of the fabric matches the soil temperature, so that made it easy once I found that out. I measured at 15 points to be sure and the temperature is constant. The bottom of Zelda’s soil is 10f lower than her soil just 4" above the bottom. I’ll also mention that her bottom soil feels fluffy like cotton balls are on bottom. It doesn’t feel like soil or dirt is on bottom there. There is still 2" from the edge of the pot where roots haven’t spread to well enough to keep water in it yet. Maybe that will change soon.

Tulip I measured and her soil is 74f across the entire soil. That may explain why she’s doing so well by comparison.

Not a lot more to say as I haven’t been looking close at Tulip TBH :joy: she’s just growing so boring and steady. Just bushing out and growing taller trying to get 18" from the lights. I have to move her over to the right more to distance her from the seedlings light as she’s 17" from that now. Her smaller branches caught up like I was trying for placing her there.

Oh yeah as for my environment and how fast the soil dries Daisey’s soil with the auto seedling trying to germinate in it is retaining a lot of moisture even in direct morning sun every day. That window gets the most intense direct sunlight when it rises in the morning before moving to the other side of the house completely opposite of the tent at the end of the day. Mid day it’s the most intense though and that may be why our outside garden does so well. It’s intense, but not a constant all day intensity. I’m betting it’s the clover that’s so well established though all the way to the edges of the pot that it’s retaining moisture better. The pot doesn’t change shape when I lift it up by the handles too. I only water it with a spray bottle using only around 1oz once a week waiting until the bottom feels dry to the touch. I’ll have to look into mulch for Zelda since her soil isn’t letting clover germinate well enough to do the same thing.

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like

Zelda and Tulip needed more water already, so I added some more and they started to perk up almost right away while I was watering. Tulip may have to be pruned back a bit as she’s eating her lower leaves and gave up trying to lift up the stems on her lower leaves. They raised up Mildly after the water.

I’m not even going to begin to guess why, but I’m just glad what I did helped this time. I made sure to water until I saw the water reach the bottom and I heard snap, crackle, and popping like rice crispy cereal in milk and then stopped. Right after that I saw Zelda perk up a little.

Humidity climbed up after too, so they’re transpiring immediately after watering it seems. It went from 20% humidity to 22% and 24% when there too was finally closed up. I haven’t checked in 15 minutes or so. I’ll check up in a bit.

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like

Yesterday I raised the lights again to 20", raised the fan up more and tilted it slightly upwards, double checked my vents and window ports for gaps, and I opened my mesh window instead of the vent on that side for better passive intake.

Today I raised my exhaust fan up to 50%, scratched around the surface of Zelda’s topsoil to even out the level as the soil from her 3 gallon pot made a raised border that didn’t erode as well, and once the crust on Zelda’s topsoil was broken up it was very easy to manage and when mixed with the extra seedling soil I had to remove as mentioned in the other thread.

Zelda is perked up even more today. Next watering will be with plain water most likely as her claws are slowly trying to recover and overall growth is lightening up now. She might have had wind burn too as the fan was too direct on her canopy apparently. With the temperature going down now she’s looking a lot happier. I’ll find something to raise her a little off the floor and increase airflow to the bottom of the pot as well. I’m thinking the clover that got mulched when I added soil to the surface last had the effect of increasing nitrogen in the soil throwing off her feeding schedule. I have been using fox farm acid loving fertilizer as recommended on the bag for each plant height, but I think I should try the tea method too add the microbiology to the soil easier with the clover to see how it is by comparison. So far she may need some Epsom salt in the next feed, but otherwise I think the dry fertilizer I till in each month has been more effective than the added nutrients in the water. Her soil structure has improved significantly now after the last watering. The plan now is to just watch her and wait to act if needed, but otherwise LITFA while she’s drying.

Tulip is showing some deficiency issues now, but I overwatered her and I’m waiting it out now also. She’s bouncing back today. It may have been heat stress too. She’s also liking the lower heat and raised up lights. I want to encourage her to stretch a little bit more anyways. I’ll train her as needed. Otherwise she’s a happy plant with a few lower leaf issues. I use the acid loving fertilizer on her also. The tea method is intended mostly for her as I struggle to scratch at her topsoil :joy: I want her to go back to loving her soil and the environment tweak is showing strong promise for both the soil and plants. She’s also getting raised up though she’s happy as is so far soil temp wise. It stays one temperature evenly to the bottom from the top.

Humidity has climbed up nicely too. Not a lot of info to say about that.

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like

I finally got the lobster compost and now it’s just warming back up to room temperature from frozen.

The plan is to topdress with it and water it in next watering.

Maybe mix it in with some clover seed, but I may just leave it honestly. The soil structure now feels much better and a bit of compost would do it good, but otherwise not much care is needed

1 Like

All plants are free of restraints and I had to raise the lights again to get them 20" from the canopy. The light in the back is about 30" above the back of the canopy near the stem though. Let’s see if this helps encourage stretch there.

It was a very good thing too as the stem on Zelda was pulling harder than the epidermis had strength to resist and the hemp wick was getting swallowed by the stem slowly. If left there I’d get either a interesting knuckle or a cut off top.

If I have to restraints height any more I’ll bend over stems. They’re almost all calyxes on the entire stem though. It’s absolutely beautiful looking up close.

I moved Zelda a bit and rotated her to better keep her in the light and away from the walls.

I pruned off some leaves on Tulip as they just weren’t looking well. Now that she’s free to grow as she pleases let’s see what she does.

The compost will be ready to add in the morning or tonight if I go in there and it’s warmed up in the bag finally.

Overall the plan is to add little to no extra nutrients to the soil and to add structure back in where it is lacking.

Pictures to follow once I give them some extra time to adjust.

Overall humidity is climbing steadily. The analog hygrometer says it’s 40% humidity and 80f. The one attached to Tulip’s box is saying it’s 34% and 79f last I saw.

Whoops I meant to post this in my main journal :joy:

@toastyjakes mind helping me move this post over?

2 Likes

It’s lights off and that means picture time

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like

New day new pics. If everything is on schedule today should be the last 18 day and Tonight should be 12 hours.

It all depends on what MOTR says in the other thread.

Zelda looks very Happy today, but damn did she reach up after being let loose. She has a spot she likes to be at for sure and no matter how many times I take her away from it she does all she can to reach that spot.

Tulip is looking more lively too. The hemp wick is good to start training with, but it’s definitely not long term. They love it too much once they’re let free and also at the very beginning before the epidermis is bruised/cut by the wick.
She does look like she may want some water possibly or idk what I’m looking at. She didn’t get any compost like Zelda did. Should I mix up a batch for her?

Zelda

Tulip

2 Likes

@ModicumGenes what’s your recommendation on defoliating Zelda before the flip to flower? If it’s today like planned then I’ll need to do it today. At least in part if gradually is best

1 Like

i would suggest cleaning up the bottom. what ever has a shadow and not revieving light remove it. if you want to clone a couple take a coulple spindly ones from the bottom also. and also open up the Middle for air flow. some may say to lollipop it up to you to decide that

2 Likes

I’ll clean up any leaves in the shade then. Maximize her light penetration

1 Like

I pruned away any leaves shading calyx development. Holy crap she has a branch that looks legit like a Cola. Not even like close to one I mean like she’s been in flower :heart:

@ModicumGenes how did I do? I can go and do more or leave it alone now

I pruned back Tulip also. Both have the best light penetration I can provide and the terpenes they threw off appears to have given me a high or something. Interesting :joy:

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like

oh yeah now lets watch them show you how angry they are lol… just kidding watch when they realize they have the same amout of roots but less leaves for water to pump to. cant wait to see the recover growth

3 Likes

Awesome :blush: they have very strong stems.

The smells I got off her are a strong citrus in some spots. In others a strong tomato smell. Not a lot of pine. My nose isn’t the best today, so anything else they gave off I’m not able to smell RN.

1 Like

I found my lens, so I took some more pictures of the plants while I was in there.

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like

So far Zelda looks pretty happy. I pruned off the front fan leaves also as OCD if I had to blame something really.

The flip to flower is when the seedlings are at 6 nodes, so now I just have to get them to that point ASAP if I want to go 12/12

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like

I’m out until tomorrow, so here’s the last pics before I come back tomorrow.

Zelda

Tulip

2 Likes

Well I just got back home and Zelda is definitely thirsty. I’ll get some water ready now to get her perked up.

I gave her some water and now I wait to see how she likes it. I didn’t add a lot. Just a mason jar instead of a gallon or so like usual. Let’s see how she responds to it.

Zelda

Tulip

2 Likes

I’ll be out for a bit, until then so far my update has some good parts. Zelda’s soil has spread the compost around and I don’t feel any dry spots around the pot. Initially the soil channeled the water out the sides of the pot and then after just stopped doing that and took the water without runnoff.
The entire pot feels evenly moist across this time.

When I get home I’ll see how she liked her drink. I gave Tulip a sip of water yesterday before I left and she didn’t droop at all.

Zelda

2 Likes