Oni's 2nd grow. Continued

Just the right amount of water it looks like. Zelda perked right up and her soil stayed dark and moist through the day after. Usually by this point her soil develops dry patches on the surface. I watered with 800ml plain water.

I’ll start adding megacrop back in small amounts next watering. I’m nearly out anyways, so I’ll have to order more when I can. If anyone knows the current code of like to know it as I can’t find it if there is one currently.

Overall the soil feeds her well when it’s not having issues.

Tulip is doing very well also and is no longer looking sad after the pruning and adjustment period after that. Let’s see how well she does, but if she could use a transplant I have soil premixed with compost that’s been sitting outside the tent this whole time. Enough to easily fill a 7 gallon.

Anyways that’s all there is to the update tonight. More than anything I’m just happy the compost amended soil behaves much better than it normally does in my tent. Hopefully it stays like this.

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like

Tulip has received a transplant up to a 7 gallon pot. She definitely needed it. As I was getting her unstuck from the pots wedge of the bottom came off and showed me how dry it was inside. The only moisture in the soil is at the topsoil I added the other day. The rest was dry to the core at least on the chunk that broke off and the surrounding area. She was really dry beneath the topsoil

I have a good feeling for her weight after transplant. I’ll let the moisture do it’s thing and if I should water the center of the soil I will. I’m just waiting to check if I should just LITFA now. I can’t undo extra water, but at the same time undoing hydrophobic soil is a bitch of a annoyance.

Even the soil amended with compost left out of the tent for days needed a half a gallon of water to reach a fluffy dark soil from pale through. The exception being a baseball sized semi dark patch in the center. The bottom was so dry that even after the rest were dark it wouldn’t accept water.

I added the water slowly and mixed it evenly with my hands until all clumps vanished and the water was spread evenly. I repeated this until the soil became dark and fluffy without being wet or damp.

As for Zelda she almost looks thirsty again. With what I saw on Tulip the topsoil may be where most of the moisture is holding in Zelda too. It may line up with what I’ve been noticing too though. Regardless I’ll keep an eye on her to see what’s up. If she begs for water again so soon I may have to water from the bottom again.

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like

I trusted my gut and watered Zelda and Tulip both. Zelda perked up a bit instantly, so I was right on that. My instincts were telling me that her core was doing the same thing as Tulip. I watered all sides, but focusing mainly on the center where the original 3 gallon soil is. I watered fairly heavy with a half gallon. No runnoff at all.

Tulip I just added 48oz in the middle and about 12 oz spread out over the rest of the surface. 60oz total for her and LITFA now. Once. I get something to do it I’ll train her out to spread better.

On a separate note my Basil is starting to stretch, so I don’t think it’s close enough to the lights. It’s only 1 node currently on each. 2 sets of leaves over the cotyledons. Decently thick stems for the size. It actually feels like it’s not stretching, but evenly spacing for it’s size. The smaller one is proportionally smaller in height and leaf size.

Pictures to come soon. I bent over too much earlier.

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like

This morning they’re doing well. I still see moisture in Tulip’s pot. Well dark color specifically that’s still the main color without flash.

Otherwise she’s looking pretty happy and even with the large scone sized chunk of rootball that fell off she didn’t seem to badly stressed by it. A couple lower leaves shriveled up right away, but it didn’t continue past that point after I got the wedge back on so she could balance and not fall over. Think the wedge they remove from a tree to knock it over. That 45° angle wedge was just the worst to see. I let her be exposed to air without burying her for a few minutes when I was getting there’s of her soil ready. I topped it off with straight compost. Tulip was the one that never burned no matter what anyways. She only ever went deficient or leaned on nitrogen toxic without claws.

If I can avoid lifting these 7 gallon pots in and put off bin again I’ll be happy. If I didn’t have my long arms I couldn’t lift with my legs to get it out if the bin.

Anyways picture time

Zelda

Tulip

2 Likes

The compost on top of Tulip’s soil is maintaining moisture better than anything I’ve put in that tent.

I have purple basil seeds I want to grow out, so I may test out a few ratio of compost to my original soil with it. I may also just use that bin as a outdoor planter. It retains it’s moisture very well, but feels fluffy and gives easily when it’s not cold.

If nothing else I’ll be growing with other plants to get a feel for the ideal soil for my environment. If nothing else I’ll be giving dwc a try next grow or even just for my herb garden. It all depends. I’ve found that Basil repels fruit flies and I haven’t seen a fungus gnat in awhile.

I may have finally found the main nest. I added a cup with mosquito bits, water, ghost pepper, and sugar in the area and a few weeks later not a single one in sight. Surprisingly fruit flies also die in this mix.

I’m finally much more comfortable once I got the main chunk of them gone. Just motivation to grow more cilantro, Basil, garlic, and garlic chives. Best part is they all help nearby plants and smell nice. Well cilantro smells like soap, but mixed with basil and garlic it makes it much better overall.

Tulip is not looking that stressed at all really. I’m not sure what to train her with though. TBH tying hemp wick is irritating and I’d rather something less prone to digging into the stem.

Zelda is doing pretty good after her pruning and is focused on growing out the existing leaves I left on her. They all got much wider and fatter looking. Like what they should be looking like, but not quite there yet. Her soil dries out faster, so I have to get used to them not all being on the same watering schedule.

So far it’s been a month since I last mixed up fertilizer for the plants as I’ve been working on the soil. Any nutrients they are getting come in the soil or from the compost I added to fix the soil structure and water retention.

Zelda

Tulip

3 Likes

Zelda got a mild wind burn from the fan somehow even though it wasn’t pointed at her directly, so I pointed it away from the plants and towards the wall now.
Other than that she’s looking a lot happier today. Leaves raised up and a lot less claws today. New fan leaves are reaching out now also. It seems like some leaves previously clawed became new fan leaves once the need arised for new growth. Overall she looks to have reached a balance between fan leaves and all the single finger leaves from the reveg I’m told she went in. I’m excited to see how she behaves in flower with all the calyxes she’s made. She’s building up a lot of CBG, so I’m expecting her to make a very nice profile once she’s making new ones.

Tulip is looking good today also. Her topsoil started to dry out today finally also. No real notes on her as she’s focusing on her roots currently or she’s stressed from the transplant. No signs I can see she’s unhappy though, so I’ll see what’s up in the morning before I leave for the day.

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like

The clover on Zelda’s topsoil started to break the surface, so it made a dirt bubble of sorts on the surface
She may need a watering tomorrow IDK. I’ll be gone until tomorrow to let them rest up. I see purple stripes on her stem like phosphorus or potassium deficiency I believe. With all those preflowers she’s been making I’m not surprised.

Tulip is growing taller now that she can spread her roots again. No discolored leaves or anything shriveled up, so that’s always a good thing.

Humidity dropped a little, but overall it’s averaging 30% now.

The Basil is stretching a decent amount being down that low far from the lights, but if it’s not directly next to the tent wall it won’t lean to one side. I planted purple basil seeds in various pots through the tent. None have any weed growing in them, but I’ll be able to enjoy some purple basil once they germinate and grow out.

Zelda

Tulip

4 Likes

Today Zelda isn’t wilted, so she’s doing really well. I added 36oz of water to her soil. It didn’t reach the bottom of the pot. Not a single drop reached the edge of the pot. That’s a good sign for the soil finally. The even spread of clover all over may be helping too. I have to train her out more now that she’s healed. I need some advice on the best way to go about it. Her stem is covered in preflowers, so I’m not sure how the best way to train her stems out for best spread and distance from each other. The stems are all thick enough to support bending if I had to do it. I don’t want to do anything idk how to do, so please advise me on the best way to go about it. I’ll follow a video tutorial if bending is the best way to go. I’ve never done it on purpose, so if that’s my option to move stems I’ll do it. Otherwise I can try to train them put again. The stems fight anything with a potential to cut or bruise it too hard and without a way to get around that I’m likely to cut the stem moving them around.

Tulip is looking happy, but otherwise not much difference from last time I saw her. Just focusing on growing taller. No new foliage yet. She was starting to change her leaves from a 45° down a little, so I gave her a sip of water. Just 8oz for now in the middle. I should find a suitable training option soon. She’ll love the extra light from it.

The humidity seems to have started to reach a stable high 20s minimum finally.

The Basil has seemingly stopped stretching at it’s current height. I doubt it, but if that’s where it likes to be to grow more leaves I’ll leave it there. the smell in there too now is intense too. My friend tells me the smell is intense every time I open the tent. I asked for more info, but they just said it smells like dank weed IDK what else to tell you. It’s intense any time you open the tent. Apparently I became nose blind to it, so I can’t tell how strong it is anymore :joy:

The smell got stronger though after the Basil was added to the tent. I’ll mix up some soil for the rest of my garden today. The rain is helping everything defrost and reach a more even temperature spreading the microbiology that has been developing in the 20 gallons of soil breaking down my last harvests roots still in the soil. If the herbs do well I’ll fill out the extra space with other plants. Should help humidity regulate better too.

Pictures to come in my next post. Busy ATM being a good host now that my post is done.

1 Like

Edit: can someone move this to my main thread? I need to check better before posting what thread I’m in.

Zelda

Tulip

Basil

1 Like

I can’t place what’s different today tbh. Zelda looks a little taller now. She’s making thicker stems. I think she might be nearing the limit of her pot. Let’s see how she is as I’m not sure I can get her in a larger pot TBH. If I did get her in a bigger pot it would likely be with my old soil unless I got another bag of soil. I’ve been wanting to try coast of Maine. At 11 a cubic foot it’s not a bad price and I could get her a new pot and soil for 20 if she needs it. Otherwise I’m just going to assume it’s a stress issue with her currently.

Tulip is evening out her canopy now growing the shorter ones to match the rest. Other than making herself symmetrical now not much else is happening with her other than a thicker stem forming on all branches.

The Basil has definitely seemed to have found it’s favorite spot. It’s growing in shorter node spacing now, so let’s see if it continues. I’ll be testing different plants at different heights to test how far is too far with these lights.

One of the cuttings I placed in the crystal candy soil. I dug it out and it was decomposing in the soil, so now the pot will be used for the only cutting to show roots. It’s looking sad now as I haven’t been taking care of it this whole time. Let’s see if it improves as if it does it’ll be interesting to see. I’m not going to delay the grow for it, but let’s see what it does if it survives. The roots stopped growing after the initial sprouts they grew. After that they stopped.

Zelda

Tulip

Cutting

1 Like

Just catching up on your thread and I’m all out of likes so I just wanted to say things are looking good Oni!

2 Likes

I’m still waking up, so I’m not noticing anything different this morning on these 2. Growing on like usual. Once I get the words to describe them I’ll add a post to detail what I see, smell, and feel.

Zelda

Tulip

2 Likes

It may be watering day for Zelda. When I moved them around a bit and raised/moved the lights to better distribute light I had been able to lift her by the handles. The soil is still nice and dark on top though, but I’d wager it’s watering day tomorrow at the latest with how easy it was to lift her. Tulip is heavy still and lifting with the handles makes me worry it’ll tear the eco felt they used. I’m unfortunately too familiar with the feeling of something that reach structural failure while in my hands. The extra pull I got after it was stable at one weight long enough was all I needed to feel to put her down right away.

Zelda

Tulip

And the final placement as of now until a better one is found for the growth pattern.

2 Likes

I decided to trust my instincts and the lift test to tell me it was watering day and I gave Zelda 36oz of water. The soil accepted it very nicely. Only a few seconds before the water went down and no leaks on the side even when watered at the edges. The clover immediately started to move around, so if nothing else they needed it.

She was lighter than a 12 quart bag of fox farm ocean forest and that’s the majority of her soil now, so that should say something when she’s in a 7 gallon pot :sweat_smile:

If she’s still light I’ll give her some time to drink what I gave her and add another 17oz if she’s still light before letting her settle and spread the water around before any more is added.

2 Likes

New day. New pics.

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like

I haven’t slept. From what I can tell before I wake up in the morning with a fresh mind Zelda has some new growth picking up on her tops. They mostly all are coming out with those thin leaves and not many fan leaves I can notice. As long as she’s happy I’m happy. She doesn’t look like all the other bud and that makes her more interesting to me.

Tulip is striping all along her stem now. Otherwise she’s looking very happy with 45° leaf angle. She responded well to her new location in the tent. Her smaller branches are now closer to the wall and they’re growing faster than the rest like I had hoped.

I’m tired now and going to bed. Here’s the pictures before I pass out.

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like

Okay. Finally new things to discuss. I trained Tulip out by bending the stems. I may have been a little too hard on one stem, but the rest are done and spread out nicely now. Just time to watch her recovery and see how she likes her new spread out canopy.

Zelda is making a good amount of leaves now. Most of the claws have flattened themselves out and grown into proper leaves again. She still has more single fingers than fan leaves though. Overall the spot I have them in is working out just perfect :ok_hand: I’m seeing recovery and new growth pick up when I listened to the voice in the back of my head. It was saying I should move her closer to the wall where her soil is most exposed. To try and get her as much light as possible without taking her out of direct light from above also.

The Basil has started to pump out smells heavily. Personally I love it. I can’t say if it also is helping the grow other than pests, but I will say the smells in the tent got way more intense after they started to make their own in the tent.

Zelda

Tulip before training

Tulip

2 Likes

Yesterday was watering day for Zelda and I nearly missed it. She was already drooping and on her way to sadness again. I gave her 36oz of water again last night right before lights out. Today she’s bounced back nicely. I lifted her all day yesterday to check her progress. She drinks a good amount each day as the pot started too heavy to consider watering and ended nearly at the same weight as it was last time she needed water when that pot was nearly styrofoam light.

Tulip is looking good. I’ll check in through the window through the day, but so far as I can tell she’s not too fazed by the training and she’s keeping the bends pretty much where I left them. I chose woody spots near the stem if possible or halfway up. I judged that by eye to get a canopy later once they all even out again.

I have my 3 gallon pot for my herb garden ready in the tent finally. It’ll bring in more foliage and as a bonus both feed me when I want a snack and keep pests from wanting to be near. Purple basil, cilantro, and garlic chives are all sown in the soil. I’ll pull out any that can’t be together and let them thrive separate before they join roots in harmony. Luckily all these are compatible root systems with each other and help each other out.

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like

Zelda is definitely a lot happier in her new spot and direction. I’ll do what I can to get more lights in the tent, but I may not have the time to get it in there in time unless I can work it out soon. She’s already used up the water on the surface and now it’s a waiting game for the next droop.

Tulip is recovering nicely from her training already. The branches are staying in almost the exact spot I left them in. They’re spread out nicely and looking healthy. In a little bit I’ll go in for a full inspection, but otherwise she’s not too bothered by what I did.

Zelda

Tulip

3 Likes

Today was watering day for Tulip and Zelda. Tulip wasn’t showing signs of drought, but her soil was dry 4" down in all spots. I’ll check her stem in the morning. I should be able to remove the electric tape in the morning when they wake up.
Though I did notice she moved her tops a bit after watering, so maybe the loss of vigour was my sign to water.

Zelda

Tulip

1 Like