Oni's 2nd grow. Lessons learned

If you eat a hot enough pepper or hot sauce with enough heat rating you get a effect very similar to a 1:1 THC:CBD smoke. It kills pain, mellows you out, and is very euphoric. Capsaicin binds to cb2 receptors and cb1 both.

A runner’s high is basically our own bodies version of THC high. Anandamide, dopamine, and serotonin get released after a good workout. High stress usually adds cortisol or whatever the stress hormone is called making the effect changed to something unpleasant imo.

1 Like

Because that would vary per grower. You can calc your own costs though per watt and compare and see where you are most efficient.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s interesting. I get the runners high because exercise does make you feel good. I’ve never heard or read about the other till now.
:wink:

1 Like

I would think there’s a standard cost when you don’t calculate the strains that can be sippers or heavy feeders depending. That’ll change the cost of course. I was wondering if there’s a common cost you see before all the extra costs are calculated. Not the strain dependant costs.

All the mystery is fun and all, but there has to be a way to calculate what the plant wants outside of exceptional phenotypes and even then there can’t be such a variance that it’s incalculable. Maybe it’s just too soon in legalization to get a clear hard number value, but once a standard method of care for cannabis is known I’m sure the math will show what method is the most cost effective per grow. While not the only value that matters it’s one element that matters for at least myself and a few others I know rn while money is tight.

1 Like

Not really, but I’m too tired to get into the intricacies of cost accounting. A few examples… the cost of electricity alone varies per county, shipping costs, sales tax, labor costs etc etc etc…It is of course calculable, but like I said…variable between growers

1 Like

I’m going to be the person who ends up writing the basic FAQ aren’t I?:sweat_smile: I’m going to go into my OCD moment and break down the costs that aren’t variable for the basic rundown with a low, middle, and high end calculation for the variables. Of course it wouldn’t fit it all, but as a ballpark average I would think if cost is the biggest factor in a grow for someone it could help people choose what’s right for them. We all have a item we could get for free cutting cost of course too.

Rant aside it’s definitely watering day😅 the cilantro straight up collapsed and wilted right after I took the pics if it’s not in the pics too. I wasn’t home long enough to remember without scrolling up.

1/4 strength for megacrop recommended feeding from the chart? For Zeke that would be 0.14g I believe at 0.56g per liter feed ratio in that case. As far as bottle nutrients go I’m done using them. The Fox farm organic bloom one there I’ll have to look at to remember the name is basically a guano and earthworm casting mix, so I may use some during the flower transition, but idk. Guano likes to burn roots.

1 Like

Watered all of them with Zeke’s water. Even the baby seedlings were looking light in color. I’m wondering what my soil lacks now😅 it would make my job easier if I could amend it before planting and not after they show issues a month later. Diana is probably stressed now as she started to eat the lower leaves and was wilting badly down below on the lowest leaves. The 2nd set to grow to be specific have been selected by her to die now. It was honestly longer than I expected to see the first set of serrated leaves to last.

On the note of true fan leaves and feeding once they show: The new leaf growth that has been forming since I noted Zeke was turning pale initially had showed it’s shape finally and I see 3 fingers connected together forming a fan leaf before it even shows it’s stems yet. I’d say it’s official and Zeke needed to be fed more than water if they show these symptoms. Zeke, Daisey, GSC, and indigo got 4oz water. Daisey got 8oz water.

Mix was 0.61g megacrop and 0.5g Epsom salts to 1 Gallon of water. I have excess sure, but it’s way easier to mix at 1 gallon ratio with such small amounts. I got really tired of the math of how much do I add for this much I’m mixing shit​:sweat_smile: 1 gallon works. I’ll give the rest to the herb garden. From what I’ve seen it’s great in food plants mostly in the herb range. Tomatoes seem to love it. IDK if that had to do with the basil and mint or if tomato plants love megacrop too like those 2 in particular I know responded really strong to megacrop by flowering :sweat_smile:. They wouldn’t stop no matter what I did. Tons of basil flowers. No lie I like the smell of the basil flowers more than the leaves TBH :sweat_smile: the pollen on the other hand I found out I’m allergic to. Sneezing fits all day if I’m near a pollinating basil plant or specifically it’s pollen.

2 Likes

I’ve been reading up on plants and nutrients. I learned that if you give your plants chemical nutes then you always have to give them chemical nutes as they get lazy. Not only that but chemical nutes kill all the beneficial fungi and bacteria that organic gardeners rely on. I know Megacrop is not labeled organic but I believe it contains all natural ingredients. I’m gonna have to find out when my living soil beds are done before my summer grow, I want to keep those mj beds all organic. I was also tempted to use some chemical ferts on my veggie and flower seedlings that are germing in my greenhouse, but have decided to go strictly organic on all the plants that will end up in my veggie patch as I plan to use organic growing measures there as well. Only my container plants can have chemical nutes as they are already completely reliant on me to grow and thrive anyway. Food for thought.

3 Likes

In general I’m just going to avoid bottle nutes. It’s always problems. Honestly megacrop and Epsom salts(every 2 weeks) together seems to be a good fit for my soil as is. Diana responded so well she almost got nitrogen toxicity :sweat_smile: almost. The claws started to form and went away like I brought her to the brink.
Let’s see what Zeke’s feed ratio does to her. If she wants that little it looks like her sister isn’t getting more until she asks for it.

It appears either the humidity sensor/s are malfunctioning or I need a better way to increase humidity tahn what I have now.

I’m struggling to get humidity above 20%:sweat_smile:
Can someone point me in the direction of something that can help?

1 Like

Zeke drank all the water within 2" of the topsoil and was still pretty light in color. I upped the feed to 0.24g per liter and I found my spray bottle to get the water to stop beading off the surface before I add more than 1ml at a time. It only takes a few seconds to absorb down after the surface has been sprayed first. My phone is on low battery. I’ll take pics in a few. The growth has changed since the last pics I took.

Diana

Zeke

Daisey

GSC

Indigo

Humidity is improving now. It’s taking 2 tanks on high to climb to here, but as long as it helps and stays that way. I wouldn’t doubt it if the cilantro are why the humidity dropped so low. They’ve been thriving and I just pulled out one after pruning all it’s tops off and seeing it was too close to Diana’s root system. I yanked it. Also it was just too close in general. My lights are only 11.5w/SF and the intensity is high for what it is, but I have to add more ASAP. That’s my next purchase and at that point I should be good to only need to grab some megacrop occasionally each year.

2 Likes

Now in order of age. Pics taken 20-10 minutes before lights out

Diana

Daisey

Zeke

GSC

Indigo

The humidity has increased finally

The garlic is just kinda chilling doing fine

I lowered the lights to 12" above the canopy (outside if the babies who are below the canopy)

4 Likes

I watered again this morning. All the soil dried up in the first 2" on all plants. 4oz per plant and Zeke and Daisey have been watered in a circle around for now. Zeke in particular as they’ve been very hungry and I’m not trying to drown them if I find today is the sipping day😅

Zeke is still pretty light in color. Next week I’ll see the full effects of my watering the last 2 days. seemed may have nailed what Diana wants. After watering she immediately started to perk up and push back when I move her leaves.

2 Likes

Today’s update before I leave for the day. I’ll be back tonight for more pics.

Diana

Daisey

Zeke

Zeke has pulled the water to the middle. The circle was just like Daisey’s is still.
I watered 2x yesterday as they are really thirsty. Humidity has been very low, so if I remember my VPD correctly the low humidity makes them drink more from the roots.

I see it like a negative pressure thing in the most basic visual in my mind. I know it’s more complicated, but I don’t have the time to remember each plant function in response to something.

GSC

Indigo

Hygrometer

3 Likes

Look like they need nitrogen

3 Likes

I was thinking that too. Zeke had a higher concentration overall than the rest. Each day they are improving in color rn. Recommended dose I should feed them next if it doesn’t improve?

1 Like

Zeke is still very light in color and now is appearing to lose life in a leaf. No tip burn or issues forming other than losing green shade. They did lose the read stems mostly. Can someone help me find a ratio for them? It’s clear I have to mix then a heavy feed as the rest don’t like it too high ppm, but I guess Zeke wants to take after me😅

As I was typing it I was thinking about a foliar feed should it get to the point where if I don’t they’ll die. I have no idea why Zeke alone is having a hard time.

I did put a bamboo skewer down to the bottom of the soil in the fabric pot and the only space that added any transfer was the 2" on bottom.

I’ve watered with 0.56g megacrop per gallon of water and saw these issues soon after the 2nd feed. I upped it to 1g per gallon ratio and color only mildly improved.

Zeke

Daisey

Daisey

GSC

Indigo

Garlic

Hygrometer

3 Likes

Like I said before just use a gallon ratio. It’s too hard to figure out those micro doses
Oh just saw you Fed her, why a girl named zeke? It takes time for them to green up

2 Likes

No reason. Just the initial growth speed made me suspicious if I’m being honest.:sweat_smile: It’s not feminized to my knowledge. I’m watering with distilled water only for now to be safe. I learned today that 4oz water will saturate 2" in the fabric pots. With how fast Zeke drinks I gave them 12oz water and it saturated 4". Seems like there’s a saturation point that 4oz may not reach in 2" of my soil that 12oz can get 2x the volume covered.

I can feel the water level through the fabric pots after watering.

On another note as light as Zeke is they do appear to be growing just fine aside from a leaf getting soft on an edge. After I upped the feed ratio they didn’t darken up, but they did start to grow again. 1 week behind schedule unfortunately, but Zeke is back at the growth rate they were at before yellowing as of today. Once my anxiety lessened I was able to look at them closely. I see signs of nitrogen deficiency, but not something that should impact yield with how long they’ll be in veg anyways. Once I correct what’s happening and nail their feed ratio I’ll have nothing but healthy plants again.

1 Like