Oni's 2nd grow. Lessons learned

No worries just providing better options though totally understandable not going the diy route though it is a lot cheaper…just let me know and i’ll throw it in your box as I didn’t get the chance to get to the post office today but will definitely tomorrow while my youngest is in OP and Pt

2 Likes

I’m talking to her now about it. Figuring out what the plan is for tomorrow

2 Likes

@MomOnTheRun She’s considering it, but what do I need to install it? Just rope hangars and the driver hooked up to the timer? Any tools to put it together I need to make sure I can get this done. Also I don’t see the 4 pack when I select the options :sweat_smile: am I just blind or is it not there?

Maybe this’ll help convince her 2x4 qb build with emerson far red initiation…The dude is doing exactly what I want to do for my 2x3x4 cabinet so of course, I am watching intently and taking notes. That’s the awesome thing about diy, totally expandable as the budget allows vs getting something that currently fits the budget to be tossed aside later…thats why I don’t mind gifting the driver - rather it be put to use rather than collect dust since I went with the cmh’s for my 3x3’s…food for thought :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Here is a qb120 guide that illustrates how to hook them up…no special equipment needed other than electrical tape though you may need to get some 18guage wire as sometimes they don’t send it with the boards. I hang mine by trout leaders (found in the fishing section) so I can raise/lower individually as needed though many opt to go for angle aluminum so its all one piece

Ummm the price is for the 4 pack just select one of the versions and add it to your cart. IIRC, they add another 15.00 or so dollars for shipping so the v1 for 99.00 would be more budget friendly.

Edited to add: I just cleaned up my lower cabinet and took a pic so you can see I have 2 boards sharing 1 driver with 3rd on its own driver just simply hung with trout leaders and pipe cleaners :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I have a heat lamp with a really thick cord rated for 660w and 250v. Should I hook my lights up to it until I get the chance to gut it? My breaker box can do 120 or 220v, so I’m wondering if I’d actually seeore intense light with the higher current. When I hooked them up to it before I had no way to block the light from coming through a crack :thinking:

1 Like

Here’s the heat lamp cord pics @MomOnTheRun only problem is it’s a 2 prong, bit damn wee the lights bright with this thing :sweat_smile::joy: ignore the mismatched slippers. I lost one of both, but somehow I had 1 left of each

1 Like

That would be a question for someone with more electrical experience as I just follow guides… when I ran the 4 boards, I just used the plug in from an old extension cord so I could ground it though many simply use an old cord from a lamp, blender, video game unit etc.

1 Like

I have an old cord that back before I got rid of them the mice chewed up a monitor Power cord that I could power my PC with.

I also have my old PC cord I can’t use anyways, so there’s that too. :thinking:

1 Like

Either one of them would work :wink: Here is a huge thread outlining the qb120’s…all kinds of ideas, builds and technical aspects

1 Like

She might be asleep now as she stopped responding, but she’s on the fence making sure it’s not a wasted purchase now as she doesn’t know a lot about lights. If I could get her to join she could post herself and help me out here​:sweat_smile::thinking:

1 Like

So I can tell her what I need to do convince her what should I tell her? I know quantum boards are considered top of the line to my knowledge. Solstrips being better off not slightly worse, but I’m seeing that solstrips are best, but these would be run at full 70w each or how much per board? Just trying to hey ahead of myself on knowledge to cover my bases in case I’m asked a question I don’t get an answer in time for😅

What’s a trout hangar?
Also how much do they cost as if I have to add extra cost to hang them I have to know what I’m asking. If it’s a lot I have to be sure if for the same cost if I could get a solstrip for the same coverage and power rating if not better m once it delves into 200 couldn’t I just get 1 solrack or whatever they call them with the baking sheet?

I could also maybe make a rack with aluminum from my old PC?:thinking: Probably not sturdy enough. It’s all aluminum or brushed aluminum in case there’s anything I can do there.

Imho, its a much better purchase than those blurples she is/was looking at with much better response from the plants with expansion capabilities

Idk man, what did it for me was doing a search and looking at people’s journals then when they had a single board on sale for 29.00 + 18 for the driver I ran with it figuring I have spent more on bunk equipment. After seeing the response in veg, I picked up 3 more then another 4 after the 1st round of flowering with them…nice and cool to the touch, the plants can even touch them without burning though get light bleached closer than 8" - running 2 in my microcabinet :stuck_out_tongue:

From what I could tell, there really is no difference between the solstrips and qb’s except 1 is a strip and the other is a board…Tboneshuffle at GC confirmed it for me as I really considered the solstrips for the microcabinet though figured why have more equipment sitting around? They can be run up to 70watts each just have to have the right driver…here is a picture of the one I have

I think its the non dimmable version to run the boards at 60watts each though not really sure

Fishing line adapters for hooks…you could pick up a 3 pack for ~4.00 or diy with these

iirc, it was 7.00 for both packs at walmart though honestly don’t remember

That could work as the boards are really light and thin…the weight comes from the driver which you don’t want on the boards anyhow. While I was looking for the driver I discovered I do have 1 I don’t plan on using that could be used as a demo for ya before you bite the bullet and order more just the problem is they are almost always out of stock :joy:

1 Like

Good to know I could finally gut that thing. It has fans in it I could use too of course :thinking:

I’m convinced here. I just have to convince her now. the total wattage I’m getting is 60x4 or 70x4?

1 Like

I did the math if I include my lights I have now in the build that I’d have 29w/SF at 70 each and 26.56w/SF at 60 each. Running them at 70w won’t burn them out fast will it?

With the driver I can send you I believe its 60w x 4 = 240 watts total which is just over 26watts/sq ft though better than what your running now as I did the same thing for my led intro going from this

To this with the qb’s with a different plant ~8 months later though the same ages

Nope - that is the highest they can safely be ran without a heatsink…its the heat from the driver that kills them

1 Like

So have you also noticed that the corncobs are brighter on the sides than the circle on the top/front? It makes dark spots directly below it I’ve noticed. The sides spread it really far and more bright. I Know it’s lumens I’m noticing, so the dim spots could be better, but I would think if it’s casting shadows dark enough that I have to squint at the plants to see them it’s not good enough. On it’s side it’s spreads deep enough that I can barely see any shadows. As you can see in my new pics I have installed the lights with the heat lamp. The UV light was on to keep them from going into night mode while I switched the cords.

1 Like

They are brighter on the side though a lot of light is wasted going away from the plant…I just played around with it to see how the plant would respond. I even tried it in one of those clamp lights with the aluminum domes…that really sucked. Overall, it was the worst $30.00 I think I have ever spent on a bulb as its not really any good even as supplemental light due to the loss though of course, this is all just my opinion having yet another thing laying around that I won’t use though it served its purpose I suppose

1 Like

New brighter lights. Same ones different cord with more power driven to support the whole of both splitters rating. It seems to make a difference in brightness when I’m allowing the splitters to have the up to 660w they want vs the 250w they had access to before. They never used that much, but if the splitters are doing something funny IDK I just noticed it’s so bright I get a headache with the heat lamp cord vs the regular lamp cord I was using before. No clue why. Maybe it’s the thicker wire Supporting the full 185w and the lamp really couldn’t do that much wattage properly?:thinking:

I spent 40 total on all 4. 10 each and after looking at the reviews the lights I got weren’t much brighter on the higher wattages and we’re tested at higher lux at the 10-20w range vs any higher wattages

1 Like