Oni's 2nd grow. Lessons learned

@MomOnTheRun should I grab the qb132 or the qb120?

Edit: NVMšŸ˜… I saw the driver canā€™t run it, so Iā€™ll get the 120s tomorrow when the check clears. Whatā€™s the delivery time on average?

Also whatā€™s the spectrum you all recommend? Iā€™m thinking of the 4000k as itā€™s the closest I see to natural sunlight spectrum. Iā€™m of the mindset tatt if I have a plant with a color other than green that green light will be used with minimal if any loss. Iā€™d imagine purple plants use less blue and red if we follow the logic of green plants donā€™t use green light :joy::joy::joy: morons. If you read up itā€™s a 60% loss and a 40% gain rate. Thatā€™s nearly half the light used LoL :man_facepalming:t2: sorry for the rant itā€™s just amusing that people deny known facts and assume a green plant is a mirror :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I forgot to say last night, but even if the lights I ordered last night donā€™t work out we have a shell to work with to make our own. She has wanted to diy a custom diode build. If the new Corsair LED tech makes its way into the open market soon thatā€™ll make an amazing light

1 Like

Yup, the 120ā€™s :wink: Iirc, it took ~10 days from hlg

The 4000k is better for veg and the 3000k is better for flower so since your not spending a lot of time in veg, iā€™d get the 3000kā€¦the single board (v1) I am sending is 3000k so if you get the same for the other boards (either version) youā€™ll have 33.3 w/sqft for flower with a bit more if you supplement the blue light with the cobs though youā€™d have to get them a lot closer to have an affect over the qbā€™s

3 Likes

Is there a reason I wouldnā€™t want to go 4000k or 3500k? I might be near flower now for Daisey, but I have 3 photos in veg. Only 2 autos. Shouldnā€™t I account for all stages and go one of those 2? Just yellow light with next to no blue sounds like a nightmare in veg :sweat_smile:

Iā€™m just trying to understand why 3000k and not another more full spectrum light?

1 Like

Ideally, for mixed spectrum youā€™d have 2 4000k for veg then add 3 3000k when it comes time for flowerā€¦the plant will receive it as 3500k though hlg doesnā€™t offer to split the spectrumā€™s anymore in the 4 packs or maybe they can if you email them?

Breaking it down, you spend ~3-4 wks in veg yet 8-12 wks in flower so imho, the 3000k would be a better choice that is if hlg wonā€™t split up the boards for the different spectrums. The 3000k doesnā€™t have as much blue light as 4000k though its still there we just donā€™t visually see it though the plants do :wink:

4 Likes

Why such a short time in veg?:sweat_smile: I stay in veg until Iā€™m satisfied not a predetermined time I set. Iā€™m usually 8 weeks at least in veg. Iā€™ll be training and pruning, so Iā€™m not flipping until I have a plant Iā€™m happy with of course accounting for 3x stretch always just in case.

Also why not just get 5 3500k ones then?:thinking: I mean they have a 3500k I can get, but TBH Iā€™m not of the mindset to deprive my plants of light unless it can be very clearly explained as to why itā€™s bad. Blue light penetrates the farthest, so for intensity and penetration wouldnā€™t a higher blue ratio be good for nice dense flowers? 4000k doesnā€™t leave out anything, but it includes more greens and if any of these purple Iā€™ll want more green light. I still donā€™t know how people can say if the plant is green it doesnā€™t use green light and then those same people use blurple lights to grow purple plants that end up low quality and not that dense TBH. If your plant purpleā€™s under the same logic you should avoid all violet light and most likely the blue and red end of the spectrum. However the color green should be much more photosynthetically active than it would be if it were green. Assuming the logic of the plant is a mirror for the light color it appears as meaning those colors are useless. SMH

That last chunk about the mirror isnā€™t about you @MomOnTheRun itā€™s just a mentality I canā€™t understand no matter how much I try to wrap my head around it. That and Iā€™m quitting cigs and trying my best to be satisfied with just a pod vapeā€‹:sweat_smile: Iā€™m a little confrontational and aggressive sorry :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That was estimated for your autoā€™s though many only give ~4 in veg for photoperiods or they run out of room unless they do heavy training so it takes longer for the plant to fill out

Same, same imho

Because they stopped selling the single boards, youā€™d have to buy 2 4 packs so they are all in the same spectrum then have a couple on stand by as 8 boards in a 3x3 would be overkill. I think they did that to prevent people mixing spectrumā€™s on the same driver though not really sure but they do say to run the boards from the same lot/reproduction run when sharing a driver so its just a guess

Blue light increases leaf growth, not flower growth

Yeah, I donā€™t know how that all got started though in todays environment, thanks to NASA, we now know more of what the plants need and what the different spectrumā€™s doā€¦I remember ~7 yrs ago, a neighbor chastised me for not using a purple light to start my petuniaā€™s then later ate her words as my baskets werenā€™t only more vigorous but also bigger than hers was being started around the same time so the mentality is changing just slowly

:ok_hand:

Oh boy! Good luck with thatā€¦I really mean it. I am a 1.5 pack a day smokerā€¦some days more, some days less. I roll my own so I can get roughly 4 cartons for $60.00 instead of the 115.00 per carton the stores charge. Someday, I may join the bandwagon and try the vape again though I basically converted it over to a pacifier last time lol

1 Like

Iā€™ll be honest subohm was the best option TBH. Even 3mg was enough if I got an extremely powerful cloud chasing mod/tank. Iā€™m currently at 24mg chain vaping off my pod. Not even close to the same as my mod on 3mg.

1 Like

@MomOnTheRun doesnā€™t flower growth include leaf growth? Does having more blue light just increase leaf growth? If so wouldnā€™t the increase in leaf mass help increase bud mass in kind?

I ask as Iā€™m a little confused about the reason I should compromise on light spectrum. I keep hearing 3500 is the middle ground for flower and veg, but 4000k includes more blue, more green, and all the same red and yellow light with just a lower ratio of red to blue. Though overall red reaches about what looks like the same amount in the end too, so IDK. Please help me understand as Iā€™m not arguing Iā€™m just confused

1 Like

Kinda. Leaves stop growing just after the stretch as the plant focuses on bud set so once they are toast (~60%+ yellow/burnt), there is no replacing them

It does and thats why its preferable for veg. Kinda. The more healthy leaves (big 5+ fingers) will absorb more light over a wider area vs a bunch of small leaves though the plant will only keep what it can sustainā€¦take a look at my DBHP thread. I severely defoliated the momma just before bud set whereas I didnā€™t take anything away from up top on her girls next doorā€¦they are naturally shedding what they cannot sustain vs doing it for them.

Once bud set happens, blue light is still used though not as much as red making red more important for flowering

1 Like

I know. The more you get hands on experience, the easier it becomes to understand :wink: Perhaps someone will chime in with a better explanation to help clear up the confusion.

I did find the HLG thread on RIU and am skimming through it to see what has changed as well as, give the green light (or not) on different board spectrums sharing the same driverā€¦from what I can tell so far is its a no no though I want to be absolutely sure so I am giving solid advice

1 Like

Ok I have it confirmedā€¦do not mix spectrum on the same driver. So if thatā€™s what you wanted to do then youā€™ll have to pick up another driver to run a set of 3 (70w ea I think) on one driver with the other 3 on a different one. The big driver I am sending you is/was ~$55.00 so if HLG is willing to split up the sets, I would go with 3 in 4000k for veg and get 2 more in 3000k rather than buying 2 setsā€¦if they are not willing to then just stick with the 4 set in 3000k and add more later if you wanted to

1 Like

Does it have to be v1 3000k or can it be v2 3000k?
As far as what weā€™ll order tomorrow it seems like regardless Iā€™ll want the 3000k for now and when we can get more weā€™ll get a 4000k set. Or did I misunderstand you?

1 Like

How do I contact them for 5 instead of 4?:thinking::sweat_smile: Iā€™m getting lost

V1 or V2 doesnā€™t matter as they both take the same big driver just v2 is using the newer diodes though the 501cā€™s arenā€™t bad just getting outdated

You got itā€¦least thatā€™s how I would do it

1 Like

So how would I end up splitting the order anyways? Would that cost me more or the same as ordering 2 sets?

Youā€™d have to contact them to see if its possible or not and what, if any extra charges it would be. I imagine the cost would be the same as they routinely send out the 4 board sets

1 Like

Sorry. Their email is: horticulturelightinggroup@gmail.com

1 Like

I feel like having extra boards wonā€™t be such a bad thing :sweat_smile: I mean easy excuse to get a extra driver to ease the load on the circuit wired per the instructions of those who know how to do it properly and getting the tent a nice even spread of 4000k and 3000k spectrum. At least for now I could say the blue light if theyā€™ll need any extra will come from the lights I have now and should they actually be a surprise good buy the other lights. If they do fail Iā€™m more excited about having a empty shell to diy with. She did want to make one thatā€™s full spectrum from a collection of mono diodes covering the spectrum. Weā€™d have plenty of trial and error, but thatā€™s the fun in it for us. The challenge of doing something we want so badly to get out of our imagination actually makes us more motivated. At least thatā€™s the case for me when Iā€™m not a ball of depression :joy::mask:

1 Like

Not at all

Sure. You could run 3-4 in 3000k on one driver and 3-4 in 4000k on the other driver alternating the boards so just plug 1 driver in for whichever stage your in if going with 8 or plug the 2nd driver in for flower if going with 6 to keep the light spread evenā€¦either way would work just have to be mindful of your watts per sq ft: 20w/sqft for veg and 40 w/sqft for flower with these :wink:

It can be a fun challenge :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like