Oni's 2nd grow. Lessons learned

My GF has been supporting me in my times without nicotine. While vaping isn’t the healthiest I still prefer it over smoking in general as I’ve never had more open airways when I don’t vape. I don’t need it to have nicotine though. My thing is I mostly smoke anyways to breathe better. I used to have to clutch a inhaler to my mouth always like a 80s movie nerd.

Smoking weed was my first event in my life that allowed me to finally forget to carry it always. If I don’t smoke in some way I can only breathe in my upper airways and no deeper. I spend half the day coughing up phlegm and various fluids from my lungs and if I take an antihistamine as well I can be free of asthma for a few hours. It just takes work and I would easily take the easier route as long as it’s not pills. My family history makes anything addiction forming a bad idea. I lucked out with nicotine as on its own it’s only as bad as caffeine and just mildly addictive. Half the time I swap out a cigarette/spliff for a coffee. If nothing else I’m blaming the autism for my mentality for why I do anything.

On the compost note I do not. My stepfather owns the house and he doesn’t like me. If I’m not a homebody he’s not happy. If I’m never home he’s not happy. If I’m happy he’s angry. If I’m miserable he’s happy.

For exercise I can walk my dog. She loves to pull hard and run. She might be 10.5, but she has the power of a puppy her size. If you’re not careful she’ll dislocate your shoulder or knock you on your face. She loves to play as well, so I can find a feild and roughhouse with her. She needs the exercise way more than I do. She’s an American Bulldog and she’s mostly sedentary in her old age.

3 Likes

My sympathies Oni… I’m in a weird boat with weird issues too. :slight_smile:
The last therapist I talked to asked me if I was ever checked for autism & I laughed because he’s an idiot. :smile:

If you want to try your luck seedbombing random guerilla sites I’ll send you hundreds of RedCherryBerry#5 “The Herm” herm/selfed seeds. I don’t have a site in mind yet so if you could spray weed seed out that way, you’re welcome to. Could be buds all over town next fall. :wink:

PM if interested.

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

I might take you up on that offer. I’ll have to go looking around for some good spots first though.

I have the distilled water and Epsom salts now as well. In a little bit I’ll have the pen calibrated and it should be time to water tomorrow anyways, so I’ll test the runoff and see what I’m dealing with

1 Like

I crashed hard yesterday, but I’m awake and functional today now that I regained my appetite yesterday and devoured enough protein to fall into a food coma. LoL :joy:

Anyways the soil is drying out pretty fast compared to before I saturated the soil. Even the way it’s drying just looks better. No color change or issues showing yet.

I got some exercise this morning at least.

What’s the plan for the Epsom salts again? The distilled water was for the pen, but should I use it or my tap water? I know that water from the Ipswich river has fertilizer runoff in it. Even molybdenum is in it lol.

1 Like

ewww… :cry:

https://www.climatehotmap.org/global-warming-locations/ipswich-river-ma-usa.html

:evergreen_tree: guessing it’s not the real Ipswich :gb: :laughing:

1 Like

You re correct. I’m in Mass. Straight outta Gloucester LoL.
Not now of course. If I still lived on that island I’d never say it public online

1 Like

Oh damn I actually had no clue what was going on with the river. I just know the water quality tests after looking at them can easily be considered seedling feed ratio on its own. It clearly looks like agricultural runoff is contaminating the water.

1 Like

Could I get some more info. Were you trying to calibrate the pen? PH pen? Or, are you storing the pen in the distilled water?

Avoid storing a PH pen in distilled/pure water. It’s counter-intuitive but it will eventually destroy it.

3 Likes

It’s for calibration. My uncle gave it to me and I have no clue how accurate it is.
It’s a pH pen
I’m waiting for the pen to calibrate now. It’s taking awhile to settle the number RN

2 Likes

:+1: Got it, carry-on.

2 Likes

This pen is ridiculously annoying RN. It just keeps dropping the pH if I let it sit in the distilled water and rn I see it reading the pH at 6.03. the longer I leave it the lower it keeps dropping on its own.
Now 5.99 before I could hit send

What does it do if you agitate the solution, stir it lightly with the pen? Then see if it drifts?

Oh, wait you are measuring distilled water? Try the same thing with you tap water. Don’t leave the probe in the distilled water for a period of time.

Also, do you happen to have a storage/conditioning solution intended for PH pens?

Here’s the final stable number after it dropped to 5.5 pH and climbed back up to 5 74 and stuck there.

The problem is I don’t have any way to pH up unfortunately and I drank that water after testing. It’s a neutral 7 or close to it. I can taste if water is acidic or alkaline. While water technically on its own has no taste pH does make a flavor to me. Personally I love my pH 2 candy, but it’s not for everyone. With all the metal and cavities in my mouth in extremely sensitive to acidic and alkaline water. I can taste my fillings if the water is even a 6 pH level. If it’s a 8 pH it starts tasting like hard water and has a chalky taste start forming. This pen is awful without calibration ugh

I have no solution no. It just says to store in it’s cap after wiping clean and rinsing with distilled water.

2 Likes

When I agitated the tap water the pH dropped about 0.40 pH. It’s still stabilizing, but it’s 6.94 and climbing slowly. 6.96 before I got to send

1 Like

My tap water is apparently sitting at a perfect 6.86 apparently after it settled and the pen after calibration seems to be sticking there instead of what the distilled water did and dropped 0.50 pH immediately after calibration

1 Like

If it’s stabilizing, then you are probably ok.

With the distilled, there are few ions in the water and what you end up measuring are any ions that leach from bulb, dirt, CO2 from the air, etc. Very unstable. And, is the reason you don’t want to use distilled water for storage generally.

The whole “calibrate and clean with distilled water” is a bit goofy to me.

2 Likes

After reading up on it myself I agree. Also it’s freaky to me that my tap is the perfect pH reliably no matter the time of year or day. It’s always 6.8 pH range whenever I test it. never quite up to a 7, but not ever below 6.5 either.

I’ll have to dig up the water quality test

1 Like

Best I can do without directly posting my water quality PDF here.

If it’s municipal water, they are probably adjusting and buffering it to some extent.

Usually, from my understanding, they try to make drinking water slightly basic as opposed to slightly acidic to avoid dissolving the distribution piping. But, the measurement of 6.8 could be a calibration issue with the pen itself.

On the other-hand, if it’s well-water, that would be quite impressive.

1 Like

I can tell you the pen is not correct with the 6.8 reading rn. That water is very basic tasting. Usual tap water flavor that’s about a 8 pH. The chalky basic taste is fighting the cloride taste like the standard tap. Though with a odd mix of acidic taste in it which I find odd. How is the water tasting both acidic and basic?:joy:

After another sip it’s a 8.5 or up. That is a chalky mouth feel after swallowing it

1 Like