Oni's 2nd grow. Lessons learned

My only thought after reading what I said was that I had a facehugger on me for the last 2 days😂

Here’s today’s update. I’ll take a bunch today, so I’m just keeping the pic count to a minimum sorry if some are upside down. My phone camera is glitching on me

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC not sure where the bleach spot is from. I may have gotten a bead of water on it changing the humidifier or I’m not seeing what did this

Indigo I see that Indigo has it on most tip points. I’m seeing light bleaching (doubtful but not impossible), zinc deficiency, or something else I’m unaware of. Seems too mild for zinc to show the bleach white tips though

Hygrometer

2 Likes

I just watered the plants and I used a half gallon with a small amount that found my floor lol.
2oz is the amount the indigo’s pot can handle with a teaspoon of runoff. 4oz is GSC pot capacity with a few drops of runoff. Zelda was watered until half the pot was saturated based off where the 1tsp runoff started to escape off the sides. Same treatment to Daisey. Diana got 8oz water. The topsoil wasn’t hydrophobic for once, but it was dry to the touch and at least where the cilantro was pulled it was dry 2" deep. Unevenly dry though in Diana’s pot. Zelda is still growing nicely even though she’s at the walls of the pot. Worst case I can convert a old plastic tub into a pot if she needs it asap while I work out the final pot for her. By the time GSC fills out her pot I’ll have harvested Diana most likely and have a 1 gallon pot I can amend free for use.

The cheapo lights came in. They produce some heat, so I’m keeping an eye on the tent now. I turned my heat down in the house and let’s see where the temp falls. They’re sorta just thrown in rn, but once I’m back tonight I’ll be able to work with them easier. For now they’re level at 24" from the plants. There’s some purple, but with the corncobs in there is mostly a magenta hue at the edges and leaning on the orange/white hue in the middle where the plants are. I’ll need to get a way to rearrange the lights better.

@MomOnTheRun the package arrived at the same time the Amazon lights came in. ATM I have rosin core solder. It says it’s for electronics and it was what I bought it for, but I’m not sure if it’s the type I want after giving it a glance. Would it offer too high resistance and be bad or what should I grab while I’m out today?

2 Likes

Correction on my last post they should be 36" up rn.

Currently at 305w from the wall and at 10° above room temp so far and steady. It became 85f in there when it was 75-80 before. Room temp is at 75-76. Currently at 74 before I open windows to cycle air out

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

Group shots and light shows

4 Likes

Im happy to hear that you got your lights bro. Cheap or not, you should see some more growth now.

3 Likes

Even if they crap out it’s a ready made grow light case I could upgrade to be good if I had to. It’s definitely intense in there. Barely a shadow cast.

When I get home tonight I can see if my PC has enough spare parts to work with that’ll let me hook up the QB @MomOnTheRun sent me. Thank you again for the drivers and board! :blush:

2 Likes

Rosin core is the correct type for soldering electronics. Do not use “acid” core, the stuff sometimes used for plumbing.

3 Likes

Sweet!

Shot this pic omw to where I’ll be the rest of the afternoon. Hopefully no one slept outside last night :grimacing:that’s frozen sea foam now free of water. Only porous sea salt RN.
I thought it was snow too, but it’s mostly salt.

4 Likes

Nice! Personally, I don’t solder any of the boards just going with plug n play so I can switch them up if/when necessary though some do so its up to you just make sure its for electronics

No problem! You shouldn’t need anything for the single board as I included some better hangers than the trout leaders…the driver for it is the smaller one with the plug in on one side and the red/black wires to plug directly into the boards. You may need to strip the wires a bit to fit them in the +/- side of the board and perhaps some more electrical tape to secure the splits better other than that its ready to go. Now when the other boards come in, is when I would fashion up some sort of rails so they are all 1 unit instead of hanging seperately :wink:

3 Likes

I’ll make sure to get a spot worked out for the QB and see how I can rework the design

2 Likes

I will never smoke my buddy’s bud😅
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/springvalley/svgardening.html

He’s using Papa’s perfect poop still and at 11ppm arsenic I won’t go in his place anymore. He doesn’t water until runoff and he’s concentrated his soil with toxic levels of arsenic by now.

1 Like

At lights on I’ll be shifting the lights around to make room for the QB in the center. I’ll setup the corncobs separately once I can figure out the best arrangement. Once the QBs arrive I’ll need to work on the light distribution again

2 Likes

Here’s the current light setup. I’m welcome to suggestions for the corncobs and other screw ins.

And a group shot for now as I’m tired and I have to be up in 7 hours

2 Likes

I’d remove the corn cobs and screw ins altogether then move the rest of the lights to 18" above the plants

2 Likes

I couldn’t get 18" stable, but I did get 19" :sweat_smile:
I’ll try again with a clearer head in a bit.

According to the page these lights aren’t the worst with par, but at my current height it’s between 400 and 300 par per light at 19"

There a large dark spot above the lights now that the screw ins are out of the tent.

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

Garlic

3 Likes

@MomOnTheRun do you know the ppfd of the qb120 3000k v1? I’m sure with all the extra lights though it’s not as easy as adding up the numbers together. :sweat_smile:

Also what should I mix up for my next watering? Now that I have the ewc, fish fertilizer, and obviously megacrop what would you recommend?

If I assume the ppfd was properly measured on the Amazon lights that’s 478 μMole/M2 -S per unit.

The calculation from the Post here

And the calculation in a 4x4 tent at 60 points thanks to YouTuber migro

gives me 2,657.7718478986 μMole/M2 -S

IDK if adding them together does anything, but if it does I got 4,569.7718478986 μMole/M2 -S in the tent rn. I’m tired, so please correct me if I’m wrong. Hopefully I didn’t get sick with what’s going around here :sweat_smile:

Okay that math doesn’t seem to add up for me.
I followed the DLI calculator here, but now I’m just left more confused as to my DLI as it says I have 2.43 hours until I reach 40 DLI and I know I can’t be right, so I’ll leave it here and let those who ocwn help tell me what I did wrong😅

1 Like

Questions aside I see the combination of the 3000k and the cheapo lights are leaning towards white with a hint of pink.

The cheapo lights I still am unsure of the shorthanded for since they shine magenta leaning towards pink. I’m not sure blurple describes them since they use orange and white LEDs too😅
If blurple works I’m just going to use those as I’m not sure if it has enough coverage to be called a full spectrum light.

Oh yeah Diana’s pistils are starting to turn brown now. Looks like by the time I have no other choice but to transplant indigo I’ll have harvested Diana and put her in the freezer for later processing or whatever I plan to do after harvest.

The garlic in Diana’s pot is looking like it’s needing a look at for harvest also, so once she’s harvested I’ll fill the pot with the soil the clover has made a home in amended with the soil in the other 3 gallon fabric pot and some ewc at the ratio @MomOnTheRun recommens as I have no idea how to use those. The plants will need a watering Tomorrow. The 6g megacrop and 1g Epsom salts per gallon ratio worked nicely, but it didn’t store well. Past 24 hours it stank like shit. Actual shit like a toilet. It went anaerobic fast. Note to self don’t get the CVS distilled water even if my fingers and forearms are cramping up from the Cold. More specifically I can’t move anything past absolutely basic movement’s. No individual finger movements and no closed hands. Sorry TMI shit was awful :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Unfortunately, this is as close as I have on file as people are doing the ppfd’s on the bigger boards

HLG also did some testing comparing the hlg 65 (qb120), 100 and 135 kits HLG 65 (QB120), 100 and 135 kits

I would make a tea with ~2Tb ewc and 1/2 Tb liquid fish in 8cups water…let sit for 2-3 hrs then strain the ewc for a foliar then topdress then ewc and water in with the megacrop. That should get some green back to them in a hurry

Just call them what they are: 30w zxmean boards :wink:

All in all, they look better with no more wasted light as its all going to the plants now. If you you set them up works for you then great! However, I would go with this:

And work my way up to this using the 1st option to either veg a 3x3 or flower a 2x3:

Which is similar to my plans for my 2x3 using pretty much the same watts I am using now

When amending a soil to recycle, I like to topdress 1/4c ewc per 5 gallons so for your 3 gallon pots, i’d use 1/8 cup or 2 Tb as its better to topdress (long term) than foliar (short term) though either works

1 Like

Okay sweet! That s a lot to process rn, so I’ll have to bookmark that and come back to it when I’m awake😅
I’ve been charging my phone to take pictures. I’m a little confused what’s going on with Indigo. She’s wilting almost. Her soil is dry on top and below it’s not dry yet, but not shiny either. That hardneck garlic isn’t doing too well, so worst case I switch to that pot for now if I’m seeing signs of rootbound happening. The roots that were coming out are now self pruning back into the pot. I’m probably going to just cut the bottom of the pot off carefully as these things are really cheap TBH. They worked great though. I’ll look into the nursery bags next. I have the option to grab some stuff tomorrow before it gets too late, so I’ll look into nursery bags to transplant in and a proper hygrometer with a high and low value. My analog one sucks for overall knowledge of conditions in there without going in all the time.

1 Like