Oni's 2nd grow. Lessons learned

30g ewc, 9g fish fertilizer, and 969g distilled water. :sweat_smile: I’m not exact, but probably still more accurate than a volume measure for nailing what I did wrong.

I mixed it all up and put them back in the fridge.

In 2.5-3.5 hours it’ll be ready to strain. Those bottle nutes came in more handy than I thought. What do I pour the mix into or is the bottle okay?

I finally ordered a acurite digital hygrometer, 1lb gypsum, the nursery bag set I keep on talking about, and a fan speed controller for my filter system. Also 10lbs rye berries I can use to start my next project once I finish getting the supplies. Nearly there. Just some bags if I want or I can just use my Mason jars and make it work.

@MomOnTheRun how should I strain the mix?

1 Like

If you don’t have a fine mesh strainer then a coffee filter or paper towel works in a pinch

1 Like

I have more than enough unbleached coffee filters :sweat_smile: I have fine mesh, but not fine enough to catch the smaller stuff just veggie bags.

1 Like

You can put a coffee filter inside the strainer so it doesn’t fold up on ya

1 Like

I have it in a jar with a mason jar lid on it. When it comes to filtering in jars with a coffee filter I know what to do at that point. I’ve found the extra surface area makes straining more difficult ime.

Homemade coffee bags wrapped dust tight(old world k-cups) work well too for homemade cold brew. Just drop in jar and top off then wait. When ready take out the bag and your drink is ready.

1 Like

Oh yeah how should I be storing the ewc? I have it in my fridge next to the fish fertilizer.

Since it’s lights out I’ll foliar feed and add the ewc after filtering on to topsoil if that’s what you said to do

Half the mix was filtered. I sprayed the plants. All except for Diana as I’m unsure if I should foliar feed her. Once it’s all filtered do I just toss it or topdress? @MomOnTheRun

1 Like

Oh yeah the lights are coming on Wednesday with the 2nd half of the shipment I mentioned earlier. Just in time as Daisey is wanting to flower very soon showing her sex at lights on yesterday

1 Like

Still filtering the foliar, bit here’s the lights on pics.

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

Group Shot

Lights

@MomOnTheRun thoughts? I know I screwed up and forgot the soap part😅. That’s why the water stains are on them. They seem to look better to me, but I need an objective eye to check me here

I mixed the clay like filtered solids into the topsoil of Zelda. I should have to water at lights on. 2 jars of the tea I made. How should I store them?

1 Like

Sorry, date night with the boys…topdress as there is still goodies in it

I would remove the one by the fan and the one directly across from it as they are crossing the one on the left though all in all much better…plants are responding nicely too and no longer leaning

Unmixed, I store at room temp though mixed, in the fridge if I expect to use it all within a week or i’ll freeze it in ice cube trays (perfect 1 Tb) to pull out as necessary

2 Likes

Right before lights on I transplanted indigo into a new nursery bag. Not as big as I had hoped. Very narrow. I learned that when my soil goes dry it makes dry pockets. I had to soak the soil in a lot of water. More than what would be considered flushing to saturate all of it. Can I get advice on how to water soil that gets extremely hydrophobic and difficult to water without just getting a container to sit them in until they’re watered. I’m not sure how to do that with the 3 gallon pots and once it’s time to transplant Zelda, indigo, and GSC into a bigger pot it’ll be in a 7-10 gallon pot once I get them all grown into the pots. My buddy really wants to help out, so I should have the lights I need. Possibly might replace all the lights with a hlg 550 kit since from what I see 1 can be used to flower with in a 4x4.

Here’s the pics I took right before your response @MomOnTheRun I foliar fed them again tonight this time with some soap added to not leave white spots on them after. Should I turn off the Galaxy fan in there when I foliar feed or leave it on? GSC seems to be a bit from a transplant ATM, so I might end up with enough time to get a better plan on larger transplant needs. At least I have my seedlings needs covered. I’ll find out the sized once opened and if I feel like it I might germinate another auto seedling with a proper start since I don’t have to disturb the roots to transplant. I can just place them in the new bag until it needs a new one and once I’m at Max nursery bag size I’ll put them in a 3 gallon fabric pot or a 5 gallon depending on situation. I want to learn autos as I’ve seen some get monster sized.

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

Indigo

1 Like

At lights on I watered with half a gallon with 6.36g megacrop, 1g Epsom salts, and 3oz of the tea. They’ve all been very nitrogen hungry, so considering the last one still wasn’t enough even after 1 foliar feed I went double strength on a hunch. So far looks like the red/purple stem on indigo is fading after that, but not all the way. No runoff on the fabric pots this time, so everything I put in stayed in the pot.

My phone is charging rn, but hopefully the wilting on Zelda will reverse soon. She went full droop and I watered a little heavier than usual to try and rehydrate the soil beneath that’s full of dry pockets.

I saw some growth on top start with indigo, so looks like I lucked out with my first proper transplant :sunglasses:

I’ll add an update with pics, but the 2nd foliar feed I did last night greened them up nicely.

1 Like

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

New Digital Hygrometer

I think Diana is responding nicely to the new lights. Stunted or not she’s growing in bud size every day these have been in. Also as much as I like the zmean lights I’ll work on the rail for the QB going in before I think about hanging those again. The QB are 10x better at 18" and if I had to choose between them I choose the QB set. I can always use the zmean lights to germinate seedlings in a small 2x2 tent or box depending on costs. Choices.

The fan speed controller I ordered is coming with gypsum as well and the lights are also arriving tomorrow.

I accidentally ordered 2 of the acurite things. Might as well have one going in the bedroom too.

Am I using that humidifier wrong? It seems like it has no effect on the house humidity or it’s being spread evenly between the whole house. I’m wondering if I should put the humidifier outside the tent or get another one I can try off Amazon that will be better than the Vick’s humidifier i have.

Anyways that’s all I have in me for now. I’m most likely going to bed soon.

1 Like

Only advice I have at this point is to bite the bullet and buy some decent soil for your next grow. The stuff you have been using is where all your problems lie.

3 Likes

That I can get from my buddy. I’ll need new soil anyways once it’s time for the big pots.

What soil would you recommend?

Also I took more pics and they look much better. Indigo’s rootball is resting right on the water level in the soil.

Diana

Daisey

Zelda

GSC

Indigo

Pic of the lights once the full 440cfm negative pressure alters the light arrangement

I had to stay up long enough to see them once they drank up and the water level stabilized a bit.

I’ll read up in any advice in the morning with a fresh head.

1 Like

I used this…

and another called Vermi-fire an organic potting soil with earthworm castings from my local hydro store. Both good.

Make sure you get soil for potted/container plants. Potting mix so to speak. Soil for outdoor dirt plots doesn’t give potted plants what they need.

2 Likes

When I hand water, I go by root/pot size:
young plants/just rooted clones = 1/8c once a week
Roots fill a solo cup or 3" pot = 1/4c - 1/2c twice a week
Roots fill a 3" pot or 6" pot = 1/2c twice a week
2 qt - 3 gallon = 3-4cups twice a week
5-7 gallon = 1/2 gallon twice a week

Though my environment is really dry at 10-15% so this works for me…you’ll have to find out what works for you. I like to find out by periodically letting some wilt just begging for water then water to 5-10% runoff in a saucer letting the plant sit for ~30 min to take in water and prevent dry spots, taking note how much it took to reach run off then wait until the leaves start sagging like the plant can’t hold up the leaves (~4-5 days)… if you do this just make sure its on a healthy plant though it looks like your on a good track to finding out what how much they want in your environment

Either/or…I leave mine on as wind doesn’t stop when it mists or rains. Now wait 4 days before foliar feeding again to see their response

Ikr! I am starting to get the hang of it though we’ll see on my next batch with the ReikoX’s Divyders and the Vaults Colorado Cookies comparative…i’ll be using DocBuds High Brix nutrients

Maybe. Ime, they work best in smaller spaces like a bedroom and the drier it is, the longer it takes to combat
as everything around tries to suck it up

That is a great next topic!

For me, it depends… chemical, organic, a mix or water only? are you going to recycle your soil or work towards no till?

1 Like

To answer the soil questions I’m liking organic tbh. Hydro would blow my breaker in there. 15A 120v max without blowing the breaker and for constant draw I want no more than 12A which I assume most everything growing related fits the description of constant draw. I’m no higher than 600w and no lower than 500w draw rn, so I’m halfway to my max draw assuming none of my devices have bad efficiency and draw more than they should.

I’d like no till, but TBH I’m not sure what I’d like best only ever trying organic and not the right kind. I didn’t buy garden soil on purpose. I got what was labeled potting mix and potting soil both😅

Sure I’d like to get the soil I got proper for growing and Having a soil I could effectively reuse as I want to. A living soil seems ideal for me as I feel like I’m letting nature do their thing and I really prefer the taste of weed grown in soil over anything else. Works out as I would have to move the tent into another room to use a hydro system. I have 6A left to use between all remaining outlets in there. This room here isn’t the best option as it has 2 breakers only. The kitchen on the other hand has a exhaust fan in it that goes directly outside. I don’t use my small hallway that’s called a kitchen for eating even if it has built in benches. There’s a heating vent on front and back of it if I use that room. Main reason I’m thinking to put it in the kitchen is the outlets. Every plug in there is on a different breaker switch. 5 outlets in there I can think of rn and all have a separate switch :joy: I hate who wired this place :rage::triumph: 4 outlets with 1 in a separate room and both overhead light fixtures run off the same single breaker switch. I’m sure anyone reading this knows what I’m talking about and why I don’t use that room anymore in general. Under 1200w though and it’s fine in there.
The 2 garage sections and the outside plug behind my kitchen have a 20A breaker also. I wish I could get that rewired and not spend a fortune :sweat_smile:

On the note of the soil itself being bad: let’s be real for a minute. If I amended that soil after processing it it wouldn’t be any worse than any other super soil once it was corrected. That’ll take time sure, but I mean doesn’t everything worth having?

1 Like