OSS 96 by fromdankestafrica

This is Old School Skunk ‘96, Finally got a female! This plant is on day 30 of 18/6 and about 99% sure I got a female growing. Gonna wait til I see alternating nodes before I do the flip.
But if I were to top her, how long before she recovers and starts new growth?
I’m very excited to finally have a skunk variant growing and hoping to find something special here!

32 Likes

Nice. Definitely a female. Hope you find something nice with her!

2 Likes

If you are feeling adventurous…

I would cut the top off above the third node and clone the top.
Train the branches of the 3rd node flat keeping nodes 1 and 3 on these branches.
Once established, flip to flower.
It will add two weeks to veg but you will get an eight cola manifold on the plant and a bonus clone :+1:

Cheers
G

15 Likes

Cloning is completely new to me but I’d be willing to give it a shot!!

And any visuals to help with the recommendations on where to cut and on where to apply the training??

I’m excited that’s for sure!!

6 Likes

Here’s where I learned:

On the cloning, there’s a dozens different ways, I’m 100% with my cloner and 50% with pHed tap water on the first try.

There is a ton of info here but I’m not totally familiar with the FAQs section

Cheers
G

7 Likes

Yeah its worth it. Only female got to copy her. Once you know how she is that copy will have 50 more copies waiting if you choose to keep the cut. Its your cut,
hate to let a good one run out once when you can keep that flower forever really. Plus every time you run her youll learn more about what she likes. In return shell get better n better in my experience

8 Likes

I really like the idea here and will attempt that at a later point when I get a good grounding in my growing abilities.
For now I’m gonna top her and clone the top. Get the freshly cut top n hope she makes roots! Gonna try the honey/aloe Vera route and see if that works as I’ve read and seen in videos. If successful I’m gonna let it get a few weeks in and then put in the flower tent. :call_me_hand:t4:

3 Likes

OSS 96 coming in nicely however on the close up pic I’m experiencing some weird growth. At first I thought the work of caterpillars but this is an indoor grow and I been on top of my grow monitoring for pests and just being a watchful grower.
Thanks for helping figure this out. This is the only plant exhibiting this growth or particular “feature”

3 Likes

That’s node #2?
Looks a little like when I FIM’d and missed but the ends of your leaves are more uneven.
I’d guess the meristem might have taken a little damage (maybe physical or light)

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Just a little photo update on this Skunks progress, rubbing a leaf revealed new tire rubber smell with a nice peppery spiciness on the end.

4 Likes

I am loving the way this skunk grows!
The new top growth reminds me of an octopus :octopus::skunk:
I am getting anxious to do my first cloning ever! I plant to cut my plant at the 6th node once I have about 6” of growth from the 6th node.
I have a question, being that my plant is on its 9th node and I’m gonna cut it at the 6th node,
Will it still be “topped” inducing the extra growth of branches at the 6th node?? Still learning so I may ask questions that may require anyone’s input who decides to share.

So far I’m happy to report that the stem rub reveal the smell of new tire rubber, almost kinda similar to new tennis balls. The sativa influences on this skunk make her that much more fun and interesting to work with.
Thank you for visiting!

3 Likes

Yes, the plant responds as a regular topping and will promote lateral branching as expected.
The apical top will sometimes be slower to root, so don’t give up on it!

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Post top chop and clone 4 days in and seems to be surviving!! :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Find it interesting how the leaves above look different than the leaves below.
Also was surprised to discover that upon a stem rub she is starting to also put out this sweet smell that’s spot on to smarties candy along with that new tire rubber smell. :man_shrugging:

Also does this clone of top appear to be making it so far or is it stalled out or something? Last pic

3 Likes

Just a little stem rub update that has me scratching my head.
I cannot mistake what I am smelling and so much so that the name came to me instantly!!!
Bazooka Joe Gum!!!
Since when is this terpene found in a skunk plant??? Then again this is a skunk with mysterious origins.

2 Likes

This is a great run man! :slight_smile: I met Nick a couple of years ago on Strainly. He was very excited to see his strains run in US gardens.

I haven’t heard from him in over a year, and South Africa’s had a rough go with Covid, so I keep hoping he’ll turn up. It’s nice to see his stuff being run here. :slight_smile: Another OGer ran his Burning Love #9, and was very happy with the results.

Keep up the great work man!! :vulcan_salute:
:guitar:

That was me who ran the burning Love lol
@Guitarzan
Can you chime in on my attempt at cloning her top? It’s been more than two weeks and not much change. Should I dump it??

1 Like

Absolutely not. :slight_smile: Clones almost always look worse before they look better. After 2 weeks, if it was dead it’d be nothing but crispy leaves. A little LITFA, and I think it’ll be fine.
:guitar:

2 Likes

So glad she rooted!! Didn’t even realize how much roots had already developed! She was overdue for transplant and looking like all will be ok.

Here is the plant from seed in the flower tent under 11/13 for 6 days.

4 Likes

My plant seems to be having issues.
Yellowing leaves that crisp up and die.
Leaves that are clawing down and bending down.
Soil is roots organics and fox farms happy frog mixed together 50:50.
When issues began water was ph’d and added cal mag. Don’t seem to be helping.
Does this seem like a nutrient issue or watering issue?
I only water her when I see the leaves getting droopy but I did pick up the pot and was surprised at how heavy it was so possibly overwatered :man_shrugging: If so would this cause my issues?? Haven’t added any nutrients except couple feedings of Recharge And last night I added 1 cup of ewc but didn’t water the pot. Won’t bother watering til the pot lightens up a bit.
Or is this one of them finicky plants that need dialing in?? Still new here to growing so open to all possibilities and suggestions. :pray::pray::pray:

1 Like