🕊 - Outdoor Growing Adventures With Your Friendly Neighbourhood Pigeonman - 2021/2022

If I plant 1 row every 2 weeks then it works out as a steady source of food rather than an overwhelming one. And YES, I did dream of doing this since seeing the NASA hydroponics system at the Ontario Science Center as a kid ;D

4 Likes

DO IT! I do all my projects in stages over a LONG PERIOD or an insane all at once. This one was a few months of gathering due to lockdown, and then did the major work after another project: CLEANING THE GARAGE SO I CAN DO PROJECTS :smiley:

5 Likes

Question:

It looks like there is room for another row near the bottom there. Is there a reason you didn’t add it? Or is it just a camera trick that fools my eye?

3 Likes

Good eye and you’re not wrong as I did initially plant for 6x rows total.

It’s glued together in sections, and dry fit in others so I can disassemble and add another 2 rows next year if i’m up for it. I decided on 4 rows versus my original 6 after pricing everything out that I didn’t already have. Another concern I had was airflow so the extra 2 rows but that may not matter… (it also means keeping an eye on another 14 plant sites + topping nutrients for these extra plants… which is already a lot considering the rest of the garden on-top of all the “devils lettuce”!

6 Likes

Because of the rain and cold snap I finally got to harvest the 1st crop of Rhubarb! This patch has been worked by my family since it was planted in 1967 after being dug up from it’s 1965 original home.

All peeled & cut.

Each bowl is about 4lbs of ready to go product.

In a heavy pot on med-low with some lemon, lime, cloves, cardamon, honey and maple syrup.

30min later and it just needs to cool.

12 Likes

Looks delicious.

I think cardamon is an underrated flavour. My great grandmother used to make cardamon buns. Cinnamon buns except different.

Is this a jam? A sauce? Either way I like it.

6 Likes

My grandmother used to make the best rhubarb. I love that stuff :+1:t4: :v:t4:

5 Likes

I work, prep and prepare the patch the way my Grandmother taught me! :smiley:

5 Likes

Highly underrated, I love my cardamom tea.

Send me Grandma’s recipe!! Lol

5 Likes

It’s been too hot and dry the past week for much to happen until now! We finally had a good days worth of rain give me just over 1" of rainfall to help things out. That combined with a humid heat wave the garden has really taken off.

It was already 28c with 88% humidity when I got outside to take these so I didn’t take to many. Will take more shots and post later on after the next bout of rain and things cool down some. :smiley:

Thanks for checking in from my garden to yours!

17 Likes

Real nice looking garden .

5 Likes

Garden looks great, we have only a couple of weeks of decent weather so far, been in the high 20’s and low 30’s last few days, I am suffering, don’t get time to acclimatize.

Haven’t done anything this year as we are trying to get out to BC, and I think its going to be at the drop pf a hat, when we do, so can’t grow anything atm :confused:

4 Likes

I’m so “Canadian Sorry” for your woes! I hope you have houseplants to keep y’all company when you can’t have something on the grow. I just drove 30km with a 5ft Ruby Red Grapefruit in my front seat like the HAWT BABE IT IS so I’m always only wanting to head away for a week at most. I’m currently babysitting my Fathers plants as he and my Mother are in Collinweird. Fruit doesn’t fall far from the tree it seems.

3 Likes

Thank you kindly! This was my Grandfathers garden until he passed, then my Grandmothers until the alzheimer’s went too far and I ended up living here looking after her during the worst of it. So I’m so happy that it’s back up to it’s green glory before the shit got real and I’m blessed with a roof over my head with ancestral land for me and my fam.

7 Likes

Hi @Pigeonman … Charles said >>> Gardening is the Hobby of The Lords … And the Growers .

I’m 60 … My father goes away last Dez …85 … C19 … We both live always in the Green Chateau …

By 92 at The Rio ECO Sumitt… 2000 bromeliads Cactus and Orquids to tender >>> tautautau

Your Roses are amazing … Right now i am on a Coleus mood .

Tomatos is a problem here … Pest magnet stuff

Nice to meet you !

5 Likes

Hello @Bud_Weiser that sounds like both an amazing and intimidating amount of Bromeliads, Cacti & orchids! My heart to yours regarding the passing of your Father due to this dreadful plague. Are you working with Coleus’ now? I’ve seen some wonderful and POPPING gardens worked with them by landscapers with class. My tomatos go hit and miss; I’ve got enough wild crop food-pest magnets (dill, etc) but it’s occasionally to wet and the fruit splits! I’m trying above ground bags and in ground cages in hopes of either one or both being successful. A pleasure to meet you as well! Hoping to see some of your work as time progresses :smiley:

6 Likes

It rained over 1" today so only one photo to share of Celia next to my Pink Cookies after the rain stopped enough for her to be “okay” with the wet grass (drama queen).

I’m expecting a growth spurt over the next few days as a result.

10 Likes

She’s so cute!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Did you have some strong bursts of wind today too?? Had to bring the Hellfire inside for a bit…the Afghani in the tote wouldn’t fit through the door :laughing:

4 Likes

I did! But years of working this land has allowed me to grow wind breaks for where I grow my 4 plants. The permanent ones are made of raspberries, currents, gooseberries & my neighbours grapes, and the variable ones each year are bean walls with both Scarlett Runners and Cranberry beans. The Scarlett runners double up by attracting all the pollinators & hummingbirds really boosting the pollination… well, that and the entire lawn is now white clover so it’s a bee party out there where it’s sunny.

I hope your Afghani is okay!

6 Likes

Nice, I have an open field behind me so plenty of airflow. Haven’t seen any hummingbirds yet but plenty of bees. Caught 2 bumblebees bangin in the garden yesterday lol. My dog keeps trying to eat them (already ate a couple, don’t tell misterbee) even though I keep telling him not to, damn dog. Good thing he’s not allergic.

The Afghani and all the rest are fine thank you, they saw worse with that freak weather we had a few weeks back. Really gotta get those nets up soon though cause they’re starting to get heavy quick.

6 Likes