Outdoor Hydroponics

Did a search but couldn’t find any info…Does anyone have an outdoor hydroponics system for weed or vegetables? if so please post pix…

I’m seriously thinking of doing an outdoor DWC for weed/vegetables…I did do a DWC 10+ yrs. ago with weed but I had to trash it because it was heavily infested with spider mites.

8 Likes

I’m running some Hempy peppers this year, I’ll let you know if they all die :+1:

6 Likes

@Esrgood4u is doing it I think

3 Likes

This thread by @JoeCrowe comes to mind.

6 Likes

I’m doing a 2 plant outdoor hydroponic grow using a solar powered pond pump. I’m not holding high hopes for it working though as the UK sun is shite BUT you never know. The scaffolding is down now so come Sunday ill get it started. :v:

8 Likes

Both my older sisters did. One sold her house last year and the other JUST sold her’s 2 weeks ago.

4 Likes

I was looking into this awhile back… there are some YouTube videos up… a few people used rows of hempy buckets in a greenhouse. Another used trays filled with hydroton… with multiple crops (bad idea) I can check into my YT playlists for ya :v::sunglasses:

☆DJSF

3 Likes

I tried doing a “gutter grow” two seasons ago, but it didn’t work out… My fault, not the system, it was set up well, I just used the wrong soil and fabric in the cups and it wouldn’t wick up any water. I’ve heard it works very well, though.

3 Likes

I think my only problem would be flowering time…in my area, harvest time would be November…I would have to definitely use an aquarium heater to keep the reservoir warm enough so it won’t get too cold…

6 Likes

I’m thinking about burying my hempy buckets. My first thought was to keep them cool, but the opposite will be true in cold weather too.

4 Likes

I am giving it a crack in a greenhouse it seems to be working so far.

8 Likes

Paging @Lobstah and the cucumber barrels.

2 Likes

Watched many on you-tube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=out+door+hydroponic

2 Likes

I looked at a few videos on YouTube but most were veggies…most veggies will work on DWC but what about pot…as I said before in Central Illinois outdoor pot will start to flower around the 2nd. week of August and probably wont be done by November…if the reservoir gets too cold it will affect the plant/flower growth…

2 Likes

@PhilCuisine I would def suggest a pond/reservoir heater for the cool/later months. I would also try to light dep them in some fashion to get them flowering earlier.

☆DJSF

3 Likes

I was thinking of maybe submerging the bucket/reservoir in a heated pond my buddy has this pond…My buddy is actually the one who wants to do DWC outside…he’s a total newbie…if the bucket/reservoir is warm enough I won’t have to force flower it…

4 Likes

My sisters are up here in Michigan. The one that just moved, after I started a couple dozen clones for here had a hope house. The other sister had 50 gallon barrels that you can throw fish tank submersible heaters in. I don’t know why a heated pond wouldn’t work.

:green_heart: :seedling:

edit: she did have some barrels in the pole barn next to the hydro set-up for late growing plants.

3 Likes

Maybe I can take a thick piece of the pink foam insulation 2ft. x 2ft. With a hole in the middle to put my net cup in and just float it on the surface of the pond…the whole pond can/will be my reservoir…

4 Likes

@PhilCuisine Duuuuude at least try one like that! Should be fine with a bit of aeration!

☆DJSF

3 Likes

Cowboy gardening at its finest :+1:100% approve

3 Likes