Outdoor planting times in raised bed?

Was wanting to throw this question out there to the OG members, I want to start my plants outdoors here soon and I was wondering what time would one want to plant out. My concern is nighttime low temps and what effect they might have on cannabis . Thoughts, questions,concerns are welcome!

2 Likes

IME, most strains of cannabis can shrug off colder overnight temps better than tomatoes or peppers for example.
As long as there is no chance of frost, you should be good to go.

3 Likes

i’m afraid it’s probably really variable… a tropical sativa landrace won’t like cold & just be slow until it get’s mid80sF.

soil temp will be warmer in the raised bed… black plastic mulch is more of a farming thing but can work(might have a straw mulch under it).

night-times in the 40s mean it’s early (in my book) but you might have super-hardy afghan/paki indica that doesn’t get stressed.

others’ opinions?

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

I was thinking along those lines as well with my small amount of time growing this wonderful plant is does seem kind of a hardy plant in several aspects!

Our NT temps seem to be around low 50’s here in CO so I’m thinking it’s getting close I have some auto’s that I’m wanting to get out soon!

find & bookmark some weather forecast pages you like.

i used to use weatherunderground but they sold out a couple years ago, so i use:

https://forecast.weather.gov/

check the “forecast discussion” part, learn the weatherman lingo(there’s a glossary), and also check the “hourly forecast” section; i like that a lot.

but i’d say GO FOR IT! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So @Muleskinner and @Viva_Mexico which the strains you guys gifted me how do you think the C99/Rom , and hurkle and hurkle crosses will fair?

1 Like

no experience w/ outdoor here, but I think you want the photoperiod plants to go out around June 1st. You want to make sure the day is long enough that they don’t go into flower early.

3 Likes

If you are starting from seed, I might recommend cold frames.

https://overgrow.com/clicks/track?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.almanac.com%2Fcontent%2Fhow-build-cold-frame&post_id=90421&topic_id=8767

What region are you located in?

2 Likes

I had a couple outside in 2C last night. They are fine today. Having enough hours of sunlight to keep them from flowering is your main issue this month. Mine have a street light overhead.

4 Likes

i can’t do outdoor cause a nearby daycare :frowning: do you plan on starting seeds outdoors or have you already sprouted them?

1 Like

I believe we’re in zone 5 last frost for here is this week

1 Like

There coming upon about 3wks now some are on nodes 4-5 my autos have shown pistils in the last few days

2 Likes

Damm that’s cold I’d be out there with heavy blankets and warming up some hot chocolate for them! LOL

1 Like

i’d be worried about the cold stunting the autos but i guess they don’t really grow while they sleep anyways? sorry i can’t be much help but i’ll learn from you tho so thx for that :thumbsup:

2 Likes

I’m with @99PerCent. If you want to plant them in the ground now, whip-up a little homemade cold frame. Just don’t cook the plant’s in there. A greenhouse can get HOT, quickly in the sun :sunny: :fire:

3 Likes

Looks like the daylight hours for my area are right at about 14 hours and 20 min … I’v had them on lights for 16-17 hours indoors and have hardened them off good in the last 2wks

1 Like

Opinions on my plant pics issue over in Tinytuttle grow chronicles plz!

1 Like

…in my perfect world, the day care operator has to ask permission to move in near me & my neighbors…damnnit. :older_man:

horsefeathers & poppycock

those would be great strain names

1 Like

I would think wait until no frost. cool temp will make for slow growth.

1 Like