Overgrow.com rises from the ashes!

Once legendary site is back! We are reviving it using latest technology and welcome you on the journey to become best marijuana growing community again.

We have overgrown the government. So let’s Overgrow the World! :wink:

If you want to read about history of Overgrow.com which dates back to 1999 read here.

21 Likes

How we revived Overgrow and started 2.0

In February 2006 Royal Canadian Mounted Police has brought charges against RC for distributing seeds to US through his online sites. Few people where busted and servers hosting RC’s seedshop and also Edge forums were confiscated. Unfortunately domain Overgrow.com was freezed at the registry and held in stasis for long 8 years.

In 2014 finally RCMP released the .com domain, which was then auctioned. More than 40+ people attended the auction, but we were the winners.

In following months we’ve been offered many times to sell the domain. But we didn’t… The reason is that we just want to make sure that old legendary name will be alive again and in the hands of community! Simple as that.

So, today story continues… Overgrow is back!

But there is a catch. We have recovered the domain name, not the database. We don’t have your old posts or uploaded pictures. We have to start from the scratch again.

Do you want to help us rebuild Overgrow

We have the opportunity to Overgrow the World!

September 27th, 2016

34 Likes

Our Mission with OG2.0:

There is a lesson from OG story. Never mix community with business. The fall of OG has started just as RC stepped in. Promoting his own seed shop, he began to censorship forums and banned competing seedbanks. Once his business reached global levels due to popularity of Overgrow, RCMP squad has stopped his business. And OG has fallen with it. This must not happen again.

So, we would like to offer Overgrow back to the growing community to guarantee free of speech and independence on commercial subjects.

Commercial seedbanks and shops can freely compete on the site when they respect netiquette. Fair play for all business players.

Many things has changed since. Barrack Obama has replaced George W. Bush in presidency. Marijuana has been fully legalized in many US states. California hemp business is blooming. In Europe soft drugs toleration and medical use is trending. Bitcoin offered pseudonymous realtime payments on the web.

22 Likes

I want to help! The site definitely needs to look more like the original. And a lot of information is missing, like symptoms and solutions for sick plants…and so many other FAQ type of links that taught so much about all aspects of growing.

I think after some time and dedication WE can rise up top again! Overgrow was the best site hands down! I was devastated when it was taken down.

It needs the old logo back, and a different background other than white… I miss the old colors. Just a suggestion…

Welcome back Overgrow!

12 Likes

hi there! it is so nice to see OG back. I was an old member, hope to see some of the old timers, I still have the old big FAQ :smiley: i used it as a bible for growing LOL

6 Likes

There are actually some topics:

and better this one with pictures

All GrowFAQ topics are forum threads so they can be commented and also there is feature called wiki post - first post in each FAQ topic can be edited as wiki, so you can update what you think is outdated or wrong. Wiki post enables also history, so all changes made can be tracked and compared (and possibly reverted by admin).

6 Likes

We have tried our best to have it “resemble” old fashioned colour spectrum. If you have any historical graphics or screenshots, I’d love to see it - please post anything from oldschool OG you might have! Thx in advance!

Thank you very much for your support, I really appreciate it!

2 Likes

Hi zem, welcome to OG!

If you please could do some searching at random in our GrowFAQ (there is search box in it) to compare your FAQ archive with ours, and see if we are missing anything you might have, it would be very helpful!

Also be sure to just post “Hi” in this thread to get that fine “Oldschool Member” user title :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi LJ, I will give you the link to the entire old faq, i even downloaded it as backup, but i still use the link for easier navigation. I think that I did post “Hi” in here, anyway.
There is the link https://drugs-forum.com/growfaq/GrowFAQ%20Basic%20Topics.htm
I feel like it is in good hands now :smiley: cheers

3 Likes

Hope I can use this site to get better at growing as I could use much improvement.

3 Likes

Cool, glad to see OG back… its going to take a while to reconstruct, and many OG refugees have made homes in other places, but its cool to know its back.

2 Likes

Thanks zem, I’ll check it out if we are missing something…

UncleBuck, welcome to OG!

Thanks for support and welcome! Yes, it was real exodus, great growers spreading all over the internet! But times have changed since and many old sites are shattered. I think we have much to offer and much more coming in our development lab!

Thank you for suggestions! I know what you mean … our graphics artist is currently working on the logo rework… We’ve also got new smilies ready for deployment :slight_smile: … Stay tuned… :tv:

Color palette I think is right now tuned according to 2006 Edge forums, it is not purely white so it is better readable and doesn’t tire eyes…

1 Like

I don’t know if this is any help, but these guys claim to have the old strain guide:
http://www.onlinepot.org/the-overgrow-marijuana-cannabis-strains-guide-reviews-a-to-z/
They have a few other items as well I notice, like the growFAQ.
Maybe have an archive section and put that info in there in case that site goes down?

1 Like

Hi Everyone!

Glad to see the old OG site rise from the ashes. Such an incredible site at the time and what a great community to be a part of. Had so many great times from there and met a lot of cool cats throughout it’s run. Looking forward to checking out this site and sharing some knowledge and stories with everyone.

Some things from back in the day that came to mind as I was writing this. Those that were there probably remember some of these things…

The Karma System. Remember the little green dots or if you were a member there long enough or with great threads/posts… that LONG green line. Then of course… the “Karma Bandit” came onto the scene and would hit people and take away 10-15 Karma points per swipe. lol That was a huge controversy at the time I recall. Does anyone remember who the Karma Bandit was? Correct guess gets a “K-bump” from me. Hahahaha

Where’s ~S~? At one point, our leader ~Shabang went MIA for quite awhile. Can’t recall if he ever resurfaced or not?

That crazy Russian cash cropper who would grow under 50,000 watts of HPS power in a HUGE warehouse in Russia somewhere. A friend of mine from the site actually befriended him on OG and went there to visit him. Wound up staying for a month and not only got to meet the man, but also see the OP and even work there for a couple of weeks when he was there. He was put in the “Trim room” with a bunch of Russians and work a few hours a day. There’s more to that story but I’ll leave the just out for the time being.

And of course all the characters from the site which made OG such a special place. Some of the members and friends that come to mind that some of you may recall: Dowzer, Smoothy, JEAST, BOG, Rez, Old Pink, Kryptonite, Biglove, and many, many others.

Shocks

8 Likes

we had a TOG site after the original OG went down…it was nice to keep in touch with OP, RC, Krypto, and the others…we had that site going for years…it’s been a long time shocks…

2 Likes

Hi Shocks!

Thanks for your support. Yes, OG was great for make new friends from all around the globe. Basically everyone who was part of the scene at the time was registered member :slight_smile:

I too remember group of my friends visiting Reaper somewhere in Switzerland for “trimming holidays” :smiley: . (Was it really holidays ? :fearful:, eat, smoke & trim - that required some tolerance to work in massively stinking area).

I’d too like to get in touch with ~s~. He is very creative guy, talented designer and programmer. I’d be interested to know what he has been up to since OG fall. Unfortunately, I have lost all the email addys from this period, maybe he will contact us someday :). He was famous at disappearing for long time periods.

Yes, Karma System although controversial (creating I’m better than you effect) I think served very well to canna community. It allows beginners to navigate more easily through often contradictory advises. It was the first thing I started working on for this version of OG. But I don’t remember Karma Bandit …

I wonder if we could start “Oldschool Stories” topic for storytellers here to remind some of us who don’t have memory so long :slight_smile:

Hi boo!,
TOG stands for The OverGrow? :smiley: Demise of OG was really true growers exodus :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Glad to see og back. You can trim us but we’ll never die. My two cents: Don’t bring the karma back, it just creates cliqs and popularity contest, I hated it and my karma was good. It’s pointless, lets let our content be our karma.

4 Likes

FWIW. I was on the original OG, and I too saw problems in that system. I had plenty of “Karma” but I disabled it. and I ran the black square.

I’m not here for status or to impress anybody. I’m here to learn or share experiences.

7 Likes