People who work outdoors

So I just got a job working outside(I’ve always worked inside till this job) in the Texas heat and I was wondering what you do to stay cool and stave off heat exhaustion and stroke? I’ve already got a sun hat and a head towel for those 90+ days. What other advice can you give to people working outdoors and need to stay cool?

15 Likes

Drink all the water. And then drink more.

20 Likes

Water water water electrolytes and frequent breaks.

13 Likes

And stay covered up wearing breathable fabrics.

13 Likes

All good advice here. I’ll add to please wear sunscreen. Skin cancer is no joke.

7 Likes

Water and electrolytes. Pedialyte advanced care or any Pedialyte is better than Gatorade. I often use their powders with water. If you start cramping up on a hot day you know your dehydrated.

10 Likes

So far I have got myself cheap shorts and shirts, all light weight and breathable, sun hat, UV arm sleeves, head towel and a bottle of the SPF 70(im Lilly white I burn under florescent lamps). Hopefully I dont die out there first day. :crazy_face:

6 Likes

As said before, water. But in your off hours, too. by the time your thirsty, it’s too late

7 Likes

35 year carpenter first get yourself a good water jug (bottle) i have a metal one that hangs from my belt with a carabiner every time you stop moving take a drink next never wear anything black t shirt pants white t shirts and let the second hand store be your friend and some nice cooling powder as if you have to move a lot in the heat then you will get monkey ass they make mesh shirts and pants but no one can afford them

8 Likes

Counterintuitive, long sleeves and pants, white.

14 Likes

When you get uncomfortable hot, get your ears wet and let the water evaporate.

Try to find the long sleeve shirts with mesh armpits. It’s been a long time so I forget the brand, sorry.

Some sunhats also have a cloth shade for your neck.

I hope these help good luck :peace_symbol:

4 Likes

I would advise against shorts and/or short sleeves. Lightweight UV cloth. :+1:

Now that’s a great idea!

Very important to keep the back of your neck covered.

8 Likes

I love this thread is ten minutes long and we’re jumping in like @Habitt s out there with his head on a rock, pouring their canteens in his mouth lol. That’s alot of love :laughing:

8 Likes

I’ve been advised by my supervisor that the quickest way to kill yourself is to ignore the heat, so Im taking any and all advice.

12 Likes

Comfortable Shoes, Moc Toed Boots are a favorite here…

3 Likes

On the boat a buff and sun shirt(long sleeve spf) are your best friends.

3 Likes

Sounds like you actually found the elusive good boss. :+1:

8 Likes

I used these when I rode in hot weather, fit well under a mesh jacket.
Carried a spare in a ziplock pre-soaked for when the first had dried completely.
The ‘phase shift’ type are over priced IMHO.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ergodyne+chill-its+6665+evaporative+cooling+vest&crid=1YF5TQVOTTKGA&sprefix=Ergodyne+Chill-Its+6665%2Caps%2C162&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_23

3 Likes

You could keep the spare in your cooler soaking in the ice water. Thats a GREAT idea!

1 Like

Curious what type of work?

I did roofing and siding/gutters for years… some good tips in this thread. I’ll add to try avoiding too much alcohol/beer the evening prior to very hot temps.

Light breakfast and lunch, fruits rule.

7 Likes