Pest Prevention / PM Prevention?

First Grow!

Should I be adding any preventative pest management to my grow? Didn’t really want to spend any money on more stuff haha.

I got a bag of diatomaceous earth for some silica and in case I see gnats.

Should I get Neem Oil or something like PureCrop1?

Should I apply before I see anything just in case or have it on hand for first signs of pests?

I also have 4 plants in a 2x2, should I do it for PM preventative?

3 Likes

Ive heard this stuff does wonders

3 Likes

How is it applied?

1 Like

Mixed in water and applied as a foliar spray. 2 applications should take care of any issues or so I hear lol

2 Likes

No.

Don’t worry about problems that aren’t there.

There’s no such thing as a pest, only imbalance.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Lol just wondering, not doing anything yet!!

1 Like

It’s best to just try and keep your plant as healthy as possible. But things to boost your plants immune system such as OHN and saponins are a good idea too. Like people, if your plant is in tip top shape you don’t have to worry about that as much. Beneficial insects as a preventative measure is a good fail safe though too :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Absolutely untrue.

10 Likes

I like PureCrop1 a lot and have had no issues yet with pests or PM using it regularly at preventative dilution. If you can get a free sample of it (I believe they’ll send you one if you DM on FB or IG) that’s plenty enough for an entire grow or two in a tent. I find the plants perk up the day after, as well. It’s nice that it’s zero toxicity, so I don’t worry about over spray or wearing a mask etc.

2 Likes

I’m just saying, leave it alone until the plant tells you it has problems. I wouldn’t take tons preventative measures, besides normal contamination stuff. Like washing your hands or changing clothes after working in the yard.

2 Likes

Talking about living soil.

With hydro/nutes everything outside your tent is a pest, that’s true.

Instead of trying to prevent pest problems, it is better to learn to identify pest problems. Spraying/treating plants preemptively is a waste of time and money. Insects and diseases leave signs of their presence. Tiny dots on leaves, shiny black dots, silvery trails, white fuzz, unusual patterns on leaves are all evidence of a problem.

Your best defense is to inspect your plants regularly. Spotting the signs of insect/disease activity early is key to controlling a bug or a germ. That is the basis of IPM.
https://www.epa.gov/safepestcontrol/integrated-pest-management-ipm-principles

What is IPM?

Integrated Pest Management (IPM) is an effective and environmentally sensitive approach to pest management that relies on a combination of common-sense practices. IPM programs use current, comprehensive information on the life cycles of pests and their interaction with the environment. This information, in combination with available pest control methods, is used to manage pest damage by the most economical means, and with the least possible hazard to people, property, and the environment.

The IPM approach can be applied to both agricultural and non-agricultural settings, such as the home, garden, and workplace. IPM takes advantage of all appropriate pest management options including, but not limited to, the judicious use of pesticides. In contrast, organic food production applies many of the same concepts as IPM but limits the use of pesticides to those that are produced from natural sources, as opposed to synthetic chemicals.
How do IPM programs work?

IPM is not a single pest control method but, rather, a series of pest management evaluations, decisions and controls. In practicing IPM, growers who are aware of the potential for pest infestation follow a four-tiered approach. The four steps include:

Set Action Thresholds
Before taking any pest control action, IPM first sets an action threshold, a point at which pest populations or environmental conditions indicate that pest control action must be taken. Sighting a single pest does not always mean control is needed. The level at which pests will become an economic threat is critical to guide future pest control decisions.

Monitor and Identify Pests
Not all insects, weeds, and other living organisms require control. Many organisms are innocuous, and some are even beneficial. IPM programs work to monitor for pests and identify them accurately, so that appropriate control decisions can be made in conjunction with action thresholds. This monitoring and identification removes the possibility that pesticides will be used when they are not really needed or that the wrong kind of pesticide will be used.

Prevention
As a first line of pest control, IPM programs work to manage the crop, lawn, or indoor space to prevent pests from becoming a threat. In an agricultural crop, this may mean using cultural methods, such as rotating between different crops, selecting pest-resistant varieties, and planting pest-free rootstock. These control methods can be very effective and cost-efficient and present little to no risk to people or the environment.

Control
Once monitoring, identification, and action thresholds indicate that pest control is required, and preventive methods are no longer effective or available, IPM programs then evaluate the proper control method both for effectiveness and risk. Effective, less risky pest controls are chosen first, including highly targeted chemicals, such as pheromones to disrupt pest mating, or mechanical control, such as trapping or weeding. If further monitoring, identifications and action thresholds indicate that less risky controls are not working, then additional pest control methods would be employed, such as targeted spraying of pesticides. Broadcast spraying of non-specific pesticides is a last resort.
4 Likes

As said above, beneficial insects, nematodes and all that good stuff works really well to keep the mite, gnats and so on from taking hold

1 Like

Yeah that guy sucks!

2 Likes

Not everyone/everywhere has/is, a perfect environment to grow. Beneficial insects do not always win the battle, indoors or out.

These are two things learned over many years of pain.

Healthy plants beat pests. Great, but what makes the healthiest plants? That’s where the rubber meets the road so to speak. Research is key, but nothing replaces time with hands(clean) and eyes(wide open) on the prizes.

All that said, and truely anecdotal, for me - a litlle PB and neem oil go a long way to easing my gardening anxiety.

Lastly, there are not enough parasitic wasps on this great green Earth to cull all the CATTIES! So, without BTT, all my crops would be toast every single time.

So, spray, don’t spray, it’s all about what works for your situation.

oh, and @vernal sux ;), lol…jk vern, don’t really know ya, but i certainly send positive vibes your way :v: :v:

1 Like

What’s the deal with chokeholds ammiright?

1 Like

My vote for IPM is do nothing until you must. Keep things clean, sweep often, keep your humidity in check, don’t go straight to the growroom from the woods and all should be good. With some luck.

3 Likes

a little luck doesnt hurt, but i like insurance :slight_smile:

Does he think I’m Joe Rogan lol?

1 Like