Pets & Cannabis

We have a dog that we’re considering using CBD with to help with arthritis and pain.

When considering CBD dosage is it advisable to take weight into account?

The dog I am asking about weighs 150lb+ and while the general advice starting off with at a low level does make sense, the question “how big is the pet” must be relevant. No? I would think that starting off with what would be a low amount for a Chihuahua and “sneaking up” on an amount suitable for her needs could be a long process.

From the AKC (American Kennel Club) website
Risks of Using CBD
The safety and risks of using CBD for dogs have not yet been researched. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has not approved CBD and has not issued a dosing chart. Therefore, we do not know what size dosage would be toxic. Any medication or supplement carries the risk of a reaction. It is always advisable, when giving your dog something new, to start out with small amounts and then closely monitor the effects. And always check with your veterinarian first.

There may not be a dosing chart, but surely there must be some sort of rhyme or reason to dosing.

This came up in a google search earlier -

A Little CBD to Take the Edge Off—For Your Pet? - WSJ
In the pet world, CBD-infused products are an already estimated $199 million business and expected to grow to $1.16 billion by 2022

6 Likes

I have been giving it to my 90lb, (almost) 14yo Shepherd mix for about 6 months. I mix 1g of isolate with 30ml of MCT Oil and give him one dropper (well it’s actually more like a half, but that is what they call “a dropper”) which would be approximately 1ml. That works out to about a 33mg dose.

As far as effectiveness, it is probably not doing as much to help as it is to keep it from getting worse, as he still has a bit of a tough time getting around (just built him a ramp to get down two steps so he can get to the lawn). I probably should be giving him more AND a full spectrum (or whatever they call it) but I just can’t afford too much more. Hoping I get enough from my hemp that I can bump up the dose and see if there is actual improvement. About a month and a half away from that though.

I have read some things that say giving a low dose of THC would also be beneficial, but I don’t know about that. For me it seems that a even level works best for me, but canine receptors are supposed to be a bit different. I don’t know how he would take it. Anyone who has, can you chime in?

7 Likes

Opinions are like assholes… :laughing: (sorry-- can’t help myself)

Here’s a reasonable looking suggested approach I found just now:

Best wishes.

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

Numbers. Now you’re talking the language I’m hoping to learn. You’re using roughly 2-3/4 mg per lb of body weight. That’s a start.

I’ve read that dry mouth is common if dogs ingest too much THC which makes sense. Who of us hasn’t had weed induced dry mouth from time to time? I’m tempted to try it on our St. Bernard if only to help control the slobber (kidding). As he gets older the drooling seems to get worse and it’s almost a full-time job just following him around cleaning it off the floors, walls and ceilings.

I’m also keeping anxiety treatment in mind. Being a typical St, he is wound pretty tight. Most Saints die (7 - 10 yrs) from heart failure which I tend to think is caused more by stress than body size.

It sounds as though your Shep has been blessed with a good long life and a very caring owner. He/she is lucky to have you.

I wish you both well.

1 Like

Noses too. :wink:

Thanks for the link. I’ll give it a read.

2 Likes

I can only speak from my experience with my American bulldog Daisey and a full spectrum CBD option work well. You don’t have to decarb the extraction. I’ve found making it like we do for people makes my doggo puke. even at low dose. After awhile I landed on 50mg on bad days for her. She’s 11 now and I include some THC-A as I’ve found she likes it. She doesn’t enjoy getting high unless she’s in the mood to. If she’s trying to jump the wall into my side it’s usually because she smelled weed. Now I have a sacrificial plant next to her chair. She’s well and baked all day off the smell and nosing around the plant.

She’s going senile and losing control of body function sometimes. I’m sure you’ve seen my previous posts on when she appeared to be on her last day as normally when those symptoms show up they don’t recover.

If I use CBD isolate I get it with terpenes and mix with about 15ml MCT oil. I’ve found that I can drop some on a treat and it’ll absorb into the biscuit very readily. On some of the worst days I’ll get peanut butter and coconut oil and a fresh leaf off my grow. She’ll eat if if I make her and she sleeps for the first couple hours

That’s funny as hell. If only our pets could talk.

Back in the old OG days my pal of the day loved to hang around when I was tending the garden. He’d snack on the odd leaf here and there and had no issues with it.

Actually I haven’t. I’d done a few searches for “dog cbd” and what information I did find was scattered all over the place. But I’ll take another look.

Hopefully this thread can bring more information into one place and we (our pets) can all benefit through sharing our experiences. This thread was started at the suggestion of @cannabissequoia with that intent in mind.

1 Like

Here’s one of my posts off my old account.

1 Like

Daisey also has cysts and one big one on her face. she still has full function on both eyes, but I just have to clean off the mucous buildup that crusts her eye over frequently.

Sorry fir the mess. She regularly destroys that room. It’s now the sacrificial room to keep an old dog happy. Spring cleaning is in order now that I have the time and money to do it right on Friday.

5 Likes

So there was another thread. Perhaps I should have been less specific with the information I was seeking.

Don’t I feel stupid.

1 Like

It’s fine honestly. If mods want to they’ll merge the threads. As long as people are posting it’s what matters really

1 Like

True enough.

I just finished reading the article @cannabissequoia provided the link to above. It sounds to me as though the vet is recommending anywhere from .2 to .5mg / kg (of their product) , depending on what is being treated.

And then there is the catch - “Unfortunately, the larger the pup, the more expensive the product.” Which is where my arsehole starts to pucker every single time we need the services of our vet.

1 Like

So I did notice benefits from doses as low as 5mg for her. It’s just the best effects are seen in my experience with a weed nap. She wakes up with so much energy and life that she’s like a puppy again. Hopping around like a bunny.

1 Like

Just remember that dogs take much longer to process THC out of their systems. I’d assume tbh that CBD is similar in that it lasts 3 days as I’ve definitely noticed a Halo effect for a couple days after her nap.

1 Like

That’s great to hear. I’m happy for Daisy.

There is so much information to be taken into consideration. Least of all, what is the concentration of the oil? How does one test for content and at what cost? And on, and on.

I’m getting this feeling that I’m probably over thinking things. It’s easy to see why the standard “consult your vet first” disclaimer applies.

1 Like

As for dosage I buy isolate mainly, but outside if that I just make sure she’s in a good spot without decarbed THC no matter how many leaves it takes that day

1 Like

For our dogs( I pitbull/lab mix and a chihuahua that’s mixed as well) pit has separation anxiety and little dog is like 8 years old and has alot of hip and joint pain along with some teeth issues. For them I usually do infused coconut oil mixed in peanut butter. They both love it (maybe even a little to much lol) big dog loves to eat leaves and stalks. And on occasion cats will try to get in grow room

3 Likes

Omg yesssss. This is the easiest way to get Daisey to eat anything. She’s a freak for coconut oil and will eat it even with no appetite at her worst when I thought she might need to see the vet finally :disappointed_relieved: I give her fan leaves and other general trim from the veg stage I store in my freezer to make her an edible with later. Once I get a food processor I’ll be mixing it up so fine she will devour every bite and her hips get less bad if I can nail her dose too.

4 Likes

Gordy after eating one of my buds off my tray.

7 Likes

Gordy with the ever present stalk hanging out of his mouth!

:chile:

7 Likes