Pirates of the Mediterranean

Usually when I’m considering growing native landraces in my environment, I look at a good detailed climate zone map like this:

Basically, everywhere that has the same color and similar latitude from the equator will have plants that are easier to adapt to your environment.

So for AZ, you’re probably in that red zone classification BWh: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_climate#Hot_desert_climates

Syrians would be OK, but lowland Afghans would be great, Pakistan could be ok, but if they’re Kushes, they’ll come from mountainous environments. RSC has some strains from Egypt (Sinai) that might do really well, and you can find some Iranian strains that might be good choices too.

12 Likes

Informative for sure. I would like to participate in the Mexican grow around Christmas. I usually spend time in Puerto Peñasco, Sonora with family and I could collect some seeds to share for the grow. I have definitely encountered the cantaloupe flavor from Sinaloa weed that I bought over there. I have never had a chance to smoke the Cannalope Haze, but I imagine it’s similar. I also run into that Oaxaca Gold that is really golden with fewer bright red hairs. The Holy Grail is that Popocapetl Blue that I only got once in Phoenix. It’s so pine and juniper with just the right amount of sweetness. My cousin is going to lose his shit when I tell him I want to buy a bag with seeds in it because I always make him drive all over town till we find the sinsemilla. I usually take enough with me, but mistakes happen. I got so tired of smoking Mex all my life, I never think about it as landrace and try to work with it. I’ve grown the cantaloupe stuff here and it grows like a hybrid that can get big leaves, but flowers really slow.

5 Likes

Yes 16 is way too long but 12 is very reasonable often they make up for long flowering times with a bumper crop which is why I don’t mind it. Let me know when you are ready for the Christmas Mexican party to start I’d like to join in on the fun. After looking into snow’s Panama Red I’m not so excited about it and think RSC or cannabiogen is a better source.

2 Likes

I tend to like buying from CBG when they have things I want. Check out the Red Snake strain. I have a few beans of it. I’ve heard it’s really pretty awesome. 79 Oaxacan x Punto Rojo if I remember correctly. I’m not sure RSC has any Mexican/Central American stuff, but they have a lot of other good options.

That’s awesome! For sure, join in for the fun. I’m interested to see what you come up with when you go down there. Pine is one of my favorite terps. It’s not some common it the modern strains anymore.

5 Likes

You it’s crazy how information can find you sometimes but I have had a idea that some of the older lines that people have found memories of are plants that produce trichomes on a very short stalk. I think these have been bred away from for the more white looking plants that have the long stalks on the trichomes. Getting to the point I looked up the red snake strain and one of the first things I read is small trichomes but alot of them which is the stuff that interest me these days. Sounds like a good one in that capacity very cool can’t wait to see what comes from them.

5 Likes

Interesting reading and following your grow. Some of the Lebanese are quite striking.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the tip about Canna Biogen. Exactly what I was looking for. Just ordered the Sandstorm(Pakistani x Moroccan). Moms was in Morocco in 2015 and wants to do some dry sifting. She doesn’t care about the Topanga Canyon OG, Jack the Ripper or Purple Crash I grow, but she heard Moroccan and said, “Ooh, hash!” and even tried to give me money.

10 Likes

and now you know the perfect gift for next Mother’s Day!! :gift: :+1: :sunglasses:

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I think I found me a lowland Afghani. I assume the left hand one doesn’t want to promote himself here because ethics, but a $30 Bubba Kush x Lowland Afghani 10 seeds, I can’t pass up. Plus the the reviews are all positive. I see you Lefty! SamwellBB too. Having personal access to you guys here is such a plus. Might do one for the 16oz. Challenge. Thank you again OG.

10 Likes

:raising_hand_man: Hehe. Thanks for the plug. Yeah I don’t advertise. People here know what I’m up to. I just assume if they want anything I’m working on they’ll hit me up or find me on strainly.

10 Likes

That’s a great deal!
Sure is an impressive Indica. I wonder how many generations? I need to stop thinking about this - too many projects… :laughing: :sunglasses:

(edit) That Congo Pointe Noire BX should be grabbed too.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Lebanese Black & Blue

Spitting image of her mother. Not a big yielder, but bud looks nice and frosty. Full black except stems. Her sister is indica pheno and also looks great. Will have some seeds forthcoming.

18 Likes

Lefty, what size container do you have her in?

2 Likes

Pretty small. I’ve been growing in coco in 1 gallon square pots. I’m having a plague of fungus gnats all year. I’ll be switching to 2 gallon ebb and flow soon to fix that.

5 Likes

Where’s Lefty?

There he is!
Thanks a shit ton for the freebie. You’re doing it right Left!

16 Likes

Syrian

I’m not especially proud of this grow, but good with the bad eh? Something fierce was growing in my feed reservoir that became an herbicide. These plants were pretty badly affected, and almost certainly would have done better under better conditions.

I did make seeds with them, but I have no idea if they’re mature, or how many even took. I had a pretty sterile male. Grew the sacs, but produced no juice. I also had a runt that did produce pollen, so we’ll see what those come out like…

Really, the plants have good resin though and they actually smell pretty nice. Not easy to distinguish what their smells are yet. One plant turned fairly black, so that’s cool. I’m eager to smoke them and see what the potency is like. I think the black one will sadly not be strong at all, but the ones with the biggest colas seem to have pretty nice resin.

20 Likes

They don’t look too bad I’d smoke it. What kinda smells are u getting anything unique.

1 Like

They look beautiful @lefthandseeds!! The colors on them are awesome !! Bag appeal 10/10

3 Likes

Hey Lefty
I cant believe I missed this thread…thats quite the cross section of strains.
Do you have any particular favorites from your list so far?

Cheers
Toast

3 Likes

They turned out ok, just fairly small. I think they were probably stunted by my res problems. I’d run them again. They’re pretty cool little bean poles. Smells are maybe a little sour, but not necessarily fruit. I can’t tell if it’s more like fuel. I’ll have to update when I get it into jars.

I’m enjoying the Black Lebanon x Blue Hemp Lebanese strain quite a bit so far. I think it’s my favorite. It seems like a lot of these strains grow very slowly, and have been farmed and inbred for quite a long time. These strains are pretty understated. They usually grow slowly, yield low, finish very quickly and have low THC. They definitely aren’t as powerful or high yielding as Afghan landraces, but they have very enjoyable effects, if not some of the most relaxing, peaceful and happy strains you can find.

10 Likes