Playing with non-cannabis genetics

Anyone else do this?

Ever since i got bit by the seed making bug i’ve had urges to try my hand at other genetic manipulation.

We grow LOTS of veg and flowers here at Casa de Yeti, and in the last few years ive been playing with Tulips in the spring!

I took these two…

And wanted to find out if that frilled edge was a recessive or dominant gene, so with the help of a q-tip and some time…

It’s dominant!

So for next year we’ll find out if i can toss a frilled edge on some others, like this one!

Anyone else doing stuff like this too?

29 Likes

Holy shit that’s awesome! Nice work! I have not dabbled with it yet, but plan to at some point soon!

2 Likes

You need to dress up to do it properly.

White lab coat, pocket protector and metal clipboard

6 Likes

What about a tyvek suit and safety glasses?

2 Likes

I had 2 kids if that counts :slight_smile:

11 Likes

LOL. It counts in different ways…

2 Likes

It’s fun seeing how the genetics express themselves… I too have dabbled in genetic research :joy:

Also, I hate participating in convos when I don’t have any likes left. What if you guys think I don’t like your posts :grimacing:. I do in case you were wondering :+1:t2:

7 Likes

No but I’m impressed with your work.

4 Likes

just gonna leave this here :grin:

2 Likes

It’s not work my friend, more playing.

This helps me with finding and testing alternate collection and storage ideas for pollen also…

Finding that tulip pollen on a q-tip in just a freezer ziplock has more than a year shelf life was a surprise.

7 Likes

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDEEEEEE!!!

Freaking amazing @Yetigrows !

2 Likes

i have liek two bulbs at work that i planted that have frilled edges
and right now one late bloomer that ive consider doing the same to or at least tagging them and moving them

3 Likes

That is fricken awsome bud!
What a success!
:grinning::+1:

Our sweet willams’ all come out different, no two are exactly alike! I think it all just occurs naturally, different phenotypes I suppose.

The photo does NO justice, I had to squint at this flower to take this pic!!

2 Likes

I’d kind of like to do something like that with these passion flowers. Bonus fruit too. You’ve inspired me

7 Likes