Please help me succeed at making clones

I made clones back ion the eafrly 2000’s sithout a problem. It was in an attic, so the temperatuires were extreme. Still I had no problem making clones. The humidity dome sat a few feet from a 500W metal halide. I’m doing the same things I did before, just not in an attic, and different light.

My current procedure for cloning: I cut a very healthy top piece of the plant. Trim leaves some. Remove lower branches. Cut stem at an angle. Dip it in clonex. Iinsert into rock wool or Incubator Plugs that’s been soaked in tap water that has sat more than a day. Place in Dixie cup with a little water at the bottom. Place ut in humidoity dome. I Add a little water to the tray, put the dome lid on. I keep temps between 70-80 Fahrenheit. I keep the dome a few about 3 feet from a LED. The LED is this one.

From what I read, I have too much light. But I failed at making clones last season in different environment, and had no problems back in early 2000’s.

Last year the humidity dome wasa in my living room, which is kept around 66 degrees F. Everything else in my method was the same. I used the light and heating pad that came wioth this kit .

I just checked my lat attempt and same thing as before, The stem always gets fungus on it. I saw fungus growing where the stem meets the rockwool. There was a good spider web of mold the stems. The entire stem on 20 clones was molded and rotting.

I keep making adjustments and keep failing. Please help!

7 Likes

The dixie cup with a little water in the bottom makes me think too moist and too humid for too long. Also cloning under LED has been a big challenge for myself. I’ve found t5s to be the way. I’m sure LED will work fine if you can find the right intensity.

13 Likes

maybe your blade is not clean? wipe your blade with 100 % isopropyl alcohol before taking the cuttings! that may help.

also i soak my rockwoolcubes with a low ec and ph4.8 24 hours befor use. (works fine for me)
and for sure t5s works better like ABushofKush says

5 Likes

I’m inclined to agree with too wet

12 Likes

This stuff right here will root wood pecker lips together .,Have a decent humidity dome like this or one you can retrofit icecream cake domes or any type of cake dome that’s big enough they make them 7 to 8 inches high make sure it’s bigger.Vivosun temp controller and heating mat let’s you control exact temp on the mat.(my secret sauce temp is 75 degrees never had issues with this one)Keep temp consistent no ups and downs.Pre soak grodan blocks in 5.5 phed water mixed with appropriate measurement of Clonex root and clone solution for 24 hours prior to stem dip and implantation I believe it’s 5 to 10 ml per liter.5 days leave it closed under a florescent lamp if possible I use a desk magnifying lamp and it works just fine keep lid closed with all vents for 5 days after that gradually open all them up over the next week till all vents are open and blocks begin to dry out it coaxes the roots out.Can be ran on 18/6 or 24 hour light your preference follow these steps and congratulations to having a great rooting number.Spray light fulvic acid foliar for the gusto and you won’t regret’s it.

13 Likes

if it were me and i needed to try a quick fix id run down to the hydro, get a new bottle of clonex, pour some into a shot glass (i always do this), re-cut and try again. if you dont have time (planting outdoor?) cant see another way to try to solve it in time.

edit: definitely agree about getting rid of dixie cup with water for the next attempt.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch! I just got this tray I’ll be using tonight I’m not planning

What’s your thoughts on puttiong a partition between the light and dome. Basicalkly, I’m thinking of blocking direct light…

2 Likes

If your using Grodan blocks mind the wrapper with the paper side on them I’ve been getting batches that have had black shit try to pop up.I mist it with peroxide and it takes it away but something to keep an eye on.It comes and goes with some batches.Hasn’t caused any harm yet

1 Like

I’m still trying to clone under an LED as well and that’s what I have done. They seem perkier with the indirect light. I laid a couple pieces of printer paper on top of the humidity dome.

1 Like

I was just getting my EZcloner up and running a few minutes ago. I’ve been very pleased with it since I found it used at my local grow store. I run a T5 light over it. The pump which sprays solution below is on a timer, 5 minutes on then 20 minutes off.

I usually take 5 snips for every plant I want to grow. Some won’t make it, but I always have extras to give to friends :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That powder will be here Monday. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m not following. Can you elaborate?

Your going to like that stuff it don’t have an expiration date on it very potent and you don’t have to worry about refrigeration like clonex.I’ve used a bottle from the 1990s that still rooted cuts that stuff is end of the world apocalypse Shit.Soak the cuts you take in Plain Tap water for 2 days before you dip them time it a day ahead of your block soak keep them on your regular veg time for light with a ziplock bag over the cuts and the jar fluff the bag out so no leaves are hanging on the bag if you can not a deal breaker but you will see what I’m talking about later .Change out the tap water everyday for 2 days.I get higher numbers with plain tap water it’s got to be something with that chlorine or something I don’t know but it just works.

1 Like

Add a drop of bleach to a gallon of water, use that for water in base, and even feed. Thank me later you won’t see a drop of mold/fungus and I have had 100% for years and years and years.

11 Likes

My memory of what I did back in the early 2000’s is foggy, but I think I was using powder. I think I might have been using alcohol on everything as well. I didn’t have easy access to a fridge in the attic back then.
Thanks for the powder rec.

2 Likes

I’m a recent convert to the Hormex cloning powder showed above. I let snips soak at least a day in tap water then cut and dip in the Hormex. I have really good luck with Root Riot plugs that I place in a Solo cup with a folded up damp paper towel next to the plug in the cup. I put a Ziploc bag on top of the cup to act as a humidity dome and then just tuck them in my veg tent under the canopy of one of the bigger plants so they’re shaded from the LED some.

11 Likes

That’s wesome! I can’t believe the failure I’ve hada with this. It was sop easy 20 years ago!

2 Likes

Utilizing the canopy of taller plants is also a great way to break in smaller newer plants that haven’t been in the tent with all the bigger ones.I use the dappled shade under the larger plants fan leaves to get them used to the brighter light then day by day move them into the full light no stress and you won’t get that yellow thing go on when they get pissed at the stronger lighting.I never thought about using it for my clone snips that’s a very good idea.

9 Likes

This step-by-step method has never failed me!
Hope you find it useful,
-Grouchy

4 Likes

Hey y’all! I’m also trying up my clone game which has been rather a dumpster fire for a while.

I’m going with Grodon cubes with a smart tray in a mondi domed tray.

Things I’m curious about:

1: Do you soak the cubes, then squeeze them out?
2: Is Clonex worth using? I figure a bottle in the fridge would last forever but it’s not cheap lol.
3: Rooting hormone suggestions for :canada: ? I’ve been looking into FOOP and I love what I’m reading about Hormex No. 8 but damn that shits as much as the Clonex this side of the boarder!

Ta and :hugs:

5 Likes