PNG-Papua New Guinea Pics from various growers

They will flower with 18 hrs light, allowing budding of a tropical plant outdoors to happen very early in the season. So here at 42 North, instead of beginning flowering in August or September, with no hope of completion, it can start in May indoors for a month, and then get planted in the ground and still finish by October. Imagine smoking outdoor grown PNG that you grew in your garden in the ground. It’s almost to good to be true!

14 Likes

This Landrace keeps getting more interesting! From the "indica"like early growth habit,with stacked nodes, leaves that block the Sun from hitting fresh shoot, the crazy sex parts that confuse, to the auto trait, this landrace is really unique ! the word that keeps popping into my head is primitive., though. Almost like it’s older than the others. It’s crazy how landrace’s mimic the people and climate they come from. New Guinea is an interesting, wild place with interesting, wild people. I guess there should be no surprise that their landrace follows suit. How’s that smoke been treating you Diggy? Any left LOL?

10 Likes

Here’s Ace Seeds Malawi/PCK x PNG.

22 Likes

As to the goroka autoflowering.
It takes both parents carrying the autoflower gene in order for any of the babies to autoflower. So the male must have carried the autoflower trait, and one of the two females, too. That makes the seeds Hush gave me to reproduce, half-autos.
When you inbreed a half-auto with its siblings, ~25% of the babies will be fully auto. So about one quarter of this new generation that people are receiving now, should auto, assuming the grandfather did indeed carry the autoflower trait.

11 Likes

Great info. One female I had was definitely flowering under 18 hours of light. I thought it was a hermie at first but I continued to keep a close eye on it and she stayed female the entire time.
Here’s the grow log: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=341810
CTG grew out seeds produced from the “autoflower” mother and he documented that they were flowering under 18+ hours of lighting.

8 Likes

Hell yeah, I went thru your thread like four times now. Lol. Made a quick annotated version of your journal as the start of the reproduction thread, to try and keep myself on track.

They didn’t get put straight into flower when they reached sexual maturity, so at 30 weeks from germination they still needed a couple weeks. Knowing what I know now, my goal this next time around will be to see if I can’t find a few autoflowers.

9 Likes

I must thank you again for the PNG genetics I plan to grow some of the autos out for a early spring crop along side some fem Thai super autos. As long as I get a male and fem PNG that auto flowers I will cross them and make more of the auto PNG to distribute. I fig if I have them flowering in March I’ll get some wicked sativa by the end of June right when the full season will start demanding more space. Again thank you I am incredibly intrigued with the idea of growing long flowering sativas in a window they can finish in.

6 Likes

Have you seen evidence of them autoflowering?

I’ve seen a couple people mention it, but no evidence to support their claims.

3 Likes

I have not seen this myself but was given this info from the source. I’ll make sure to document my grow and will have some backup autos going in case I need to pollinate the Thai with something else.

1 Like

I’ve heard of some plants that start to bloom out of stress when they get root bound. I saw that when I was looking into why amnesia hash plant isn’t recommended for indoors, saying it’s hard to keep it from going into bloom. If your growing it indoors, could that be the case?

2 Likes

You are correct plants with strong survival instincts can go into flower if they are stressed out from either nutrient starvation, being root bound or to close to the lights. Something tells them they might not live long and they better hurry up and get the job done. If you see a pine tree producing a abnormal amount of cones compared to others around it you can bet that tree will be dead within a couple years if not immediantly after that seed crop. It’s common in alot of species but I don’t see this alot in cannabis plants. I would assume it more common in landraces especially from harsh enviroments. I do have two strains right now that will try and flower if not kept happy. Those being shapeshifter and grape pie, the moment either expieriances Cal mag defiencies or are left root bound for to long they will start to flower. When I grow these PNG out they will be given plenty of root space and love so that im sure the auto flower trait is not stress induced

5 Likes

This is happening to a couple chocolate rain males I’ve got right now. They’ve been on a veg schedule forever but limited root space and a recurring drought, and they’re autoflowering. 100% photoperiod, tho.

3 Likes

I know I’ve mentioned it before but my old Afghani heirloom will Autoflower if left in a beer cup too long. The males do seem to before the females. Being from a dry region, I wondered if this trait was from a large root system, which would be required to take in enough water for life. If the plant discovers that it doesn’t have enough ( root) room to acquire this water, it auto flowers to finish before drought kills it. Obviously other dry area plants would need to be tested to see if this Theory holds any water( pun intended). Moroccan is also from a dry region and autoflowers, as does the Sudan. I have read that Zamal autoflowers, but I believe there is plenty of rain there, so drought can’t be the reason for the autoflowering in every case, but possibly some cases. Southeast Asia seems to have its own Autoflower gene pool.( alleged)

6 Likes

I used to believe wholeheartedly in auto sativas, and Zamal was the line that changed my mind.

It could just be a pedantic argument, but it seems to be a different genetic pathway causing them to flip, i.e. they’re still photoperiod lines; so we can’t pass on the autoflower trait in the usual way. We also can’t rely on them to auto like non-photoperiod plants.

We might just need a new term for stress-induced autoflowers

4 Likes

I’ve heard them referred to as semi-automatic, but when to plant flowers at a certain age, regardless of photo period to me it is an Autoflower. I’ll be finding out if the Moroccan can pass on these stress-induced auto flowering traits or not.

3 Likes

I’ll refer to them as semi-autos from now on. Or automatic photos. @Worcestershire_Farms What did you find with the z a m a l?

1 Like

the drought induced Auto Theory also holds well with Afghani landrace which, when grown in the wild, without additional water from man, can Autoflower. One further note. The Moroccan, even when given plenty of water, still autoflowers, so the trait is fixed regardless of growing conditions

5 Likes

I’ve got it. It’s a photo period plant that really isn’t a photo period plant… … Fauxto period. ( photoperiod) lol. Cracked myself up with that one😁

8 Likes

Lmao.

It was a friend of mine trying to lock down the autoflowering trait, and he never made any headway. They do definitely appear to autoflower but I think it’s stress related as opposed to a gene we can transfer from line to line.

I would be happy to be proven wrong, I don’t mean to be Debby downer. Lol

4 Likes

You’re definitely no Debbie Downer. It is good to mix facts and reality with wishful thinking. Wanting something to be true, and having it be true are entirely different. Did your friend grow in containers? that would certainly cause a bit of stress for that crazy vigorous line. Too bad we didn’t have contacts in New Guinea, the reunion Islands and any other places with reputed auto flowering tropical fauxtos. Angus from the real Seed Company has posted a bit more information on his Sudan landrace. Flowering time is about 12 weeks. The terpene profiles match more closely with Sinai landrace than they do with beldia, but they must all be related. it also flowers automatically after four to five weeks of growth. I am very intrigued by the possibility of passing this straight to the next generation of a hybrid. Next summer I will be making some crosses to see what comes of it. surely somebody has done this before…???

3 Likes