๐Ÿ˜POLL๐Ÿ˜ - 24/0 or 18/6 for Veg - what do you run?

Curious now, what is everyone running for Veg 18/6 or 24/0?

• 24/0
  • 18/6

0 voters

9 Likes

Great topic, this will be interesting

3 Likes

Plants can only absorb so much light/ day and will go into a โ€˜restโ€™ period anyhow. Personally I donโ€™t like breaking off to the electric company anymore than I need to

7 Likes

I actually do 20 and 4 but went with 24

4 Likes

Tried after to edit as an option by cant do without a mod

3 Likes

Meh no worries, Iโ€™ve done 24 more than 18 anyways lol

2 Likes

My broke ass canโ€™t afford 24/0, gotta give that electric bill a break now and then. :joy::joy::joy::cry:

(As a matter of principle, I do believe a dark period is necessary in a living soil. The plants dump sugars into the soil at night for the fungi and bacterium. If you have a living res for your hydro setup a dark period will do the same and might even be more beneficial.)

6 Likes

Iโ€™m only doing 24/0 cause my timer is a POS!

5 Likes

24 for seed starting up until true leaves then 18/6 for actual veg for me

4 Likes

Get a sonoff on it unless itโ€™s HPS, MH or CMH :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Agree with this if you pay enough attention itโ€™s perfectly visible daily

2 Likes

Do you have a link to put one of these together? Can I also attach humidity and temp gauge to this to run fans also?

2 Likes

Hereโ€™s one I made earlier :wink:
More than happy to help you if you get stuck too. Thereโ€™s a few US sides that know your circuits better than me but I got the jist

5 Likes

18/6โ€ฆ Plants need to rejuvenate, just like us human beingsโ€ฆ :wink:

1 Like

Iโ€™ve run 24 on but only when rooting clones or cracking seeds then 18 /6 for veg

Now Iโ€™ve run autos at 24 on

Papas

2 Likes

went with 18/6 but have always used 14/10 to veg

and 10/14 to flower

peace

Dequilo

5 Likes

In one tent, cuts to clones/seed starting, upper section, once up potter down to lower section, is on 24/7.
In another tent, uppt to flower container size, is set up to start their ride into the flower tent, is on 18/6.
Flower tent is usually on 11/13.

1 Like

Nowadays I mostly run at 20/4. I use 24/0 for clones and seedlings.

2 Likes

18/6 for flower cycle as well

1 Like

went with 18/6 but am going to try doing longer days with slightly less intense light. Like 20/4 or 22/2.

I recently watched an interesting lecture on the Apogee Instruments Inc. Youtube channel. The video was called photosynthetic efficiency and supplemental greenhouse lighting. The speaker was Marc van Iersel. The conclusions that they were getting to from that video was that as the plant receives more intense light the quantum efficiency goes down and that longer photoperiods resulted in greater light interception and higher quantum yield of photosystem 2. I will admit a lot of this went over my head but It was interesting to see an increase in efficiency with lower ppfd over a longer period vs higher intensity for a shorter period with the same DLI.

8 Likes