Dankmaster’s Old School Pine Genetics workshop/log

:couch_and_lamp: :coffee: :notebook_with_decorative_cover: :pencil2: im in for the long hall
growth in growing :seedling: :herb: :evergreen_tree:

:man_farmer:lime

What do you all think about this Sunshine State guy on Strainly selling “the crip” for 500 bucks a cut. Is this legit crippy? Cuban black haze gainsville green this guy claims to have all the impossible cuts.

1 Like

If it sounds too good to be true…

5 Likes

Ahhh Bruce, well my impression is he’s a stand up guy. The germination is 100% fem and reg from 1 fem and 2 reg (pics coming shortly) and gave me some insight to the story. Now I wanna call this multi phenotypes that are closely interrelated is WHY there’s versions claimed as Crippy. Let’s find out WHO is WHO once and for all. Both 808 and Purple Caper I’m personally going to contact them about 0 germination rates I’m getting, so not happy and I’m hoping they want to make it right for the sake their rep. I want MGS seeds to acquire fresh seeds of Purple Caper’s Krippy Kush. IF 808 chooses to thumb me, I’ll finish 808 and nobody will try his gear once I agree 808 isn’t legit too. The seeds were soaked in GA3 over night and not even a split after nearly 72 hrs, but bag test seed those split far quicker, so THAT is telling and troubling. I’ll give it about 120 hrs before I write it off and get on my soap box. IF he wants to prove himself by making it right, then I’ll say it’s real if the the plants prove themselves, otherwise I’m right there in saying 808 is not to be trusted. Bruce, I believe he’s got one of those phenos, and yes being old school, I don’t think he’s BSing of having Gainesville Green. I don’t know for certain, but I intend to get the seed later in the future. Let’s be clear, I don’t think his genetics have names attached that aren’t real. Those old school strains I would never expect to be cheap. Clones are on the high side but again their value and heritage justify it. Some of the strains are before aggressive hybridization began, so their lineage and purity is rare to begin w. For 75 seed to try GG it’s fair value. Hope this answers what you’re asking

11 Likes

That is good to hear, makes me look forward to trying my IX seeds. I am also on the fence on getting his Gainesville seeds (already got more seeds then I can grow right now).

3 Likes

14 Likes

Very interested in this project, (Gainesville Green pine trees) We looked forward to the Gainesville Green every year and bought as much as we could afford. OZs were selling for a buck twenty five in the early 80s, that was like half a paycheck back then. I think I was making $6.25 an hour humping steel (rebar) building all the condos on the beach at that time. We used to save up for a while just to get a few OZs before it was all smoked up, it was never around very long, just a couple months…“Xmas bud” The back story that I heard was that GG was grown in some dudes(forget his name) parents orange groves in Gainesville. We were never able to get to the source, not that we didn’t try though. Good ol days!! Crip Crip Krippy!

So, who has the '79 Xmas Bud seeds? I would like to check those out, Maybe pitch in on this project…
Grace and Peace

9 Likes

Humboldt CSI has a pack left.
I bought one the other day

2 Likes

I keep telling y’all 79 Christmas Bud isn’t the overwhelming piney thing you’re looking for lol but it falls on deaf ears. It’s a cool line but it isn’t THAT piney.

11 Likes

Thanks for that @vernal, this is more of a nostalgia thing for me, growing up on the east coast, these were one of a few green flowers going around at that time.

So, who has the Pine… Help these guys out, will ya!

2 Likes

OK Vernal, tell me do you think Xmas bud can have varying phenotypes ? Some not so pronounced and others having more a distinct pinene profile? Maybe not by it’s self it won’t be that intense, but pared w possibly NL that pine haze I just found or another OG Kush pheno could bring it out further, What do YOU think the road map should be to get to the goal ? Share thoughts

5 Likes

At this point…no. Christmas bud is incredibly inbred…all plants and even crosses of them look almost identical. Grown Deathstar x Christmas Bud, Christmas Bud x Bandaid Haze, and pure Christmas Bud. Crosses had very little, pure line had some but not pine-forward by any means.

Christmas Bud isn’t called that because it smells like a Christmas tree…more likely just that it was around for the holidays and very green compared to the import brick.

IDK how crossing something only somewhat piney is going to be the path. In order to make a piney line…you’ll need a piney plant. OGK has that turpentine note and is far pinier than Christmas Bud. Golden Goat has a serious sweet pine note but most people notice the lemon-lime. I’ve never found a “pure pine” plant in all the seeds and clones I’ve ran. Everything has pinene, nothing has just pinene. If I ever find one I’ll shout it from the rooftops.

Someone showed me his Pine Tar Kush and it looked better than Christmas Bud and he said it was very piney. I’d start there…were I in your shoes. If you’re gonna grow an old broadleaf, might as well grow one with some hope of what you’re looking for.

Never heard of pine haze. Couldn’t speak to it.

7 Likes

[quote=“vernal, post:33, topic:63106, full:true”]
At this point…no. Christmas bud is incredibly inbred…

Christmas Bud isn’t called that because it smells like a Christmas tree…more likely just that it was around for the holidays and very green compared to the import brick.

Someone showed me his Pine Tar Kush and it looked better than Christmas Bud and he said it was very piney. I’d start there…were I in your shoes [/quote]

Well you seem to know more about this one than I do, though I’ve heard stories about Xmas bud being that, like pine trees. So it’s more of a theme strain than name sake. I suppose it will still have some interesting traits to take note of. So Pine Tar, ya know I’ve thought about it, but then I thought too heavy, then I noticed it’s very medicinal for gastrointestinal which is the misery I live w, so…

8 Likes

So I thought it’s time to take pictures w the addition of Tampa Crippy XI

Nursery

Tampa Crippy fem

Tampa Crippy reg

The one Xmas planted on 9/30 is doing quite strong

22 Likes

Thanks for that info @vernal

The Christmas Tree bud I grow up smoking in the South in the eighties, indeed smelt like a Christmas Tree in a ziploc. It was called that here. It was great. I will keep searching…

9 Likes

Well there we go, so there MUST be a pheno that has high pinene content to its profile to have distinct pine needle smell. I realize Vernal, it can’t be 100% but I do think it can be primary near 75% of flavor profile, and after doing some reading I’m thinking it’s the woody-spice combo that’s going to bring it out further

7 Likes

I should clarify. The NDNguy Christmas Bud line that everyone who has Christmas Bud is derived from, isn’t that particularly piney.

Maybe it’s a different line, maybe it was pinier 10 generations ago, maybe some bud was called Christmas Bud because it came around during winter, maybe some bud was called Christmas because of its light green color and red hair compared to import, maybe it just smelled pinier because you were used to import at the time…who knows.

9 Likes

Do what you want, amigo. You seem to really want to believe it’s gonna be what you’re looking for, that’s fine. Just saying I’ve grown Christmas Bud and crosses thereof…and what you’re looking for is simply not there. Just trying to save you some valuable time and space. I have no skin in this game.

4 Likes

It was called Christmas Tree Bud here because it smelled like one and tasted like it smelled. I didn’t grow up smoking import. Unless you mean driven across the Mexican border. Hours from where I grew up. That’s all I have to say, just my experience.

3 Likes

Yes, Mexican import.

All we got are stories…when you grow some 79 Christmas Bud you’ll see what I’m talking about.

I’m not making shit up to rain on anyone’s parade lol just calling it how I saw it.

6 Likes