Punks Not Dead

I noticed there’s a general music thread, a Reggae thread and a Hip Hop one too but no Punk Rock thread so let’s GO!

There’s many sub-genres that fall under the punk banner: thrashcore, skate punk, emo-core, hardcore, straight edge, ska punk, pop punk, garage punk, pogo punk, surf punk, pub punk, anarcho punk, crust punk etc etc… I try not to get too wrapped up in all that, if it sounds good and is true to the cause I will listen to it and if it’s worthy I’ll buy it(normally on vinyl). The cause is what it means to bring all these sub-genres together under one banner: anti government, anti major labels, everything DIY, music with a message, pro equality, anti authority, anti war, anti establishment etc etc. That’s why when bands like the Offspring, Green Day, Blink and even Bad Religion(for a couple of albums) crossed over to major labels it’s not punk anymore it’s just rock and it lacks substance especially if they are still trying to “fuck the system”. Hard to blame them for cashing in but also hard not to respect bands like Fugazi and Propagandhi who stay true to the essence and Punk to the core for decades. Or even more so someone like Jello Biafra who has been true to the roots for 40 years now. Bad Religion is at least back on Epitaph, it’s just a shame they haven’t released a good album in over 20 years haha.

I grew up a skate/surf punk with fake ID so I got to see lots of amazing shows aged 15 on up in the early 90’s. Surf films from Taylor Steele were very prevalent in my youth and his sound tracks were always 90’s skate punk Bad Religion, NoFX, Pennywise, Unwritten Law, Good Riddance, Descendants, No Fun At All, Strung Out, No Use For a Name, Down By Law, Lagwagon, Rancid… at age 13 that was a good introduction. I had also started to discover mostly through friend’s older brothers and by reading the liner notes inside album covers to see which bands they thanked… Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Gorilla Biscuits, Operation Ivy, Screeching Weasel, Bad Brains, DRI, Circle Jerks, Suicidal Tendencies, Butthole Surfers, Dag Nasty, Fugazi, Reagan Youth, Face 2 Face, MDC, Ten Foot Poll, Jawbreaker, 7 Seconds, Propagandhi, DOA, Snuff, Subhumans, Citizen Fish, Guns N Wankers, Social Distortion, The Bouncing Souls, The Clash, Iggy and the Stoogers, Radio Birdman plus a shit ton more…

The local scene where I grew up was something else, killer bands at the local bar every week. I’ll start by sharing some good Australian Punk. Most of these bands would play to about 100 of us slam dancing in a mosh pit, there was a lot of fake ID’s in that pit haha.

I’m tagging a few heads who I know like a bit of 3 chord guitar with a galloping drum beat: @minitiger @Slick1 @Yetigrows @Limeflavouredheadbut @Sasquatch @Bud_Weiser @anon20530495 @LegsMahoney @Qtip @MWgrower @Osogreen @PlantShepherd

Post your favourite songs below

I’ll go first with some of my hometown favourites

Fucking killer outfit out of Melbourne

Amazing band from my home town, heavily influenced by the Stoogers and the Ramones. For some strange reason they sold a lot of albums in Germany, this one’s from 1988

My good mate Pete on vocals

Old legends in the Ausy Pup Punk scene

The Meanies 1991

More heavily influenced Stooges stuff from 83

These guys toured with MC5 and the Stooges, 1977

One Inch Punch went on to form Mid Youth Crisis, probably my favourite down under punk band

50 Likes

Not my cup of tea frech|nullxnull, glad to see you back … beer3|nullxnull

6 Likes
18 Likes

this can’t be missed…

24 Likes

I was into all of it. Got a Punk-O-Rama 2.0 from my boss at concession stand where I worked at my local pool at age 13. It was history from there, I was hooked. Not only did it get me psyched to skate but it fit very well with my angry, rebellious attitude. My favorites were probably Black Flag, The Misfits, Pennywise, Rancid, Op Ivy, AFI(pre-poppy/emo period), Minor Threat, Sex Pistols and some old school stuff like The Ramones and Iggy& The Stooges. Thanks for including me @FattyRoots Ill be back with some vids in a bit :call_me_hand:

7 Likes
17 Likes

See @VAhomegrown knows what’s up

5 Likes
14 Likes

You guys please don’t be missing that

11 Likes

Seen most of the uk punk bands in my teens that played in Belfast mates dad was the security for the club they played at

8 Likes

Can’t find the original, I think by hate?

2 Likes
14 Likes

Skate punk all day, plus Gutter mouth. Tony Hawk’s pro skater is the soundtrack of my youth

6 Likes

Fuck yes! Love this thread concept. Here’s a few that are on rotation at any given time

12 Likes
6 Likes
15 Likes

Was listening to this today

I know you can’t find the words
to describe what you feel
please don’t chase it down
you’ll miss it while it’s here
the reason you can’t find words
is 'cause they don’t exist
please just sit here with me
and experience
the joy of life
a simple smile
resist the urge
to pin it down
breathe deeply, look
inside yourself
the sun still shines
in you as well
it always will
you already
have everything
you’ll ever need
now stand and walk
see things as new
you’ve just begun
to change the world

Just let go.

7 Likes

the exploited
discharge

7 Likes

Propagandhi shreds:

These guys are newer out of LA and thier shit is awesome, they have a mariachi band under a separate name that’s awesome as well

9 Likes

Oh yeah I fuckin loved Propaghandi

4 Likes