Purple blotches on outdoor plants

The temps have dropped significantly during the night …just dosent seem like normal purple spread .They have been stretching pretty good the past week has been hot as hell during the day …

10 Likes

Here’s mine

Only spot out the whole garden…

8 Likes

Same like four branches out of eight plants :face_with_monocle:
Any thoughts ? cold weather swings …it looks normal but it’s only certain spots

3 Likes

You’ll probably think I’m messing with you, but I’m thinking boron lockout…

4 Likes

I suspect bug origin :bug: as it is not extended, caterpillars maybe?

https://www.ripperseeds.com/en/blog/caterpillars-on-your-cannabis-plant/

If humidity is high it could be some sort of mould, like pythium, really ugly in any case, I would trim anything bad looking … :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

I’ve got just a few too.

2 spots on this plant. Alien Orange Congolese.
And found one on a Maui up near the top.
Our temps also dropped by 15 deg f as well.
:v:

2 Likes

@Mithridate @Oldguy
So how you fellas gona go about this !?

@George

Still battling these on the tomatoes plants I don’t wanna hear about catapillars lmao !

10 Likes

My reasoning is with great temp swings come great phosphorus lockout lol
Phosphorus acts as a buffer/helper of boron…

I have seen these purple blotches before. It appeared on freshy transplanted 2 weeks old seedlings and disappeared just as fast with the first feeding.

Since I think it’s a lockout caused by cool temps/temp swing, I won’t be doing much about it until this weekend… I had ready scheduled a post stretch feed then.

If it hasn’t cleared in 7 days, I will either wrap the pots to protect them against wild temperature swings and/or give them a few ppms of boron.

I could be completely wrong too hahah but I think these steps should solve whatever it is.

5 Likes

I guess my few ear wigs aren’t that big of a deal then. :joy:

3 Likes

If you watch all the pics posted, “it” comes from the main stem and expands from there, I suspect it’s a fungus like pythium or botrytis cinerea, any possible deficiency would affect the entire leaf, which is not the case, I would cut in half the main stem and take a look inside … :thinking:

9 Likes

I’m about halfway through this thread… no consensus yet hah

George could be onto something… I just have trouble understanding wth that is…
There’s talk of a potato disease…

4 Likes

Im seeing a few spots very similar looking on a plant or two, outdoors, eastcoast, I figured it was just random coloring but will have to take a closer look tomorrow, thanks.

4 Likes

Cold nights will help purple em up for sure… IF they are supposed to be purple buds… a 10 degree difference in night time temps can make the difference on my black cream, they are REALLY purple (lower night time temps), or just so so purple (higher night time temps).

What kind of seeds / expectations are there for them? Should it get / be purple? Or should it be green?

Knowing the strain might help a little :wink:

I see a little cupping on the leaves, and they look a little dry (considering the weather we’ve had lately, no wonder) but otherwise they are a nice dark healthy green…

hmmm…

2 Likes

Found this pic regarding root problems, root rot maybe, directly through the main stem to the top … icon_e_confused|nullxnull

6 Likes

There seem to be 2 camps in the thcfarmer thread… virus vs mineral

The op says he’s been battling this thing for at least 6 years and keeps loosing plants to it. He thinks it’s virus brought about by leaf hoppers and the like, and is systemic/can spread from plant to plant rapidly

Scary… but I don’t know if I share that opinion.

That’s where the 2 camps meet. Virus clique seem to say different nutrient levels can help or even rid plants of the disease. Sometime the dark purple can come back, sometimes not.

Idk… I’ll try to apply the previously mentioned remedies see if they change anything.

I tend to think it’s nutritional.

4 Likes

This just showed up on some of my plants. A buddy thinks it’s this
https://www2.ipm.ucanr.edu/agriculture/onion-and-garlic/Purple-Blotch-and-Stemphylium-Leaf-Blight/

2 Likes

Well hey there bud deff the weather has been crazy dry and when it rains it’s dosent amount to anything !

The strain get ready …
Purple mendo wreck😏

As for being a mold,blite mold fungus …
I just don’t think it is but I could be wrong it hasn’t been to humid or wet out more dry then anything .

I added Diatomaceous earth to them about a week ago and have only gotten one watering . Pond n well are pretty low .they will have to fend for themselves

4 Likes

These r the ladies been in since middle of may

13 Likes

My only plant showing this is the fastest growing, biggest stretcher out of the plot… something nutrient related would make sense…

In my case, she also has the potential to purple up under cold temps, just not sure if this one does it…

Good looking ladies rabeats :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hopefully the diatomaceous earth plays its roll and evens it all out

That’s what’s making me lean towards the nutrient side was well they deff r in stretch stage …I’ve notice I’d on the lowest branches of some .

Thanks brother these ladies r deff pretty cute if you as me a little thick though :crazy_face:

Believe it or not there is fencing around each plant for limb support …

What make me wonder though is the most bottom branches have been just miraculously falling off …I’m blaming the chickens …

2 Likes