Purple Kush breeders

Starting up again and seeing what the current state of affairs is. I’m a little out of touch with all the breeders and seed banks out there.

I’m looking for purple kush seeds similar to the purple kush that was coming out of Canada for a while in the early 2000’s. Real earthy, dank smelling and only slight purple on the bits of sugar leaves still on the bud.

Definitely not an OG and not sweet smelling.

10 Likes

I had it last year SR71 purple kush. It is really good.

7 Likes

I’ll check that out to see who works with that, thanks. The grape part throws me off, but it’s been a while and I don’t have a connoisseur type sniffer, so maybe there was something like that on the back end. Definitely didn’t give off fruity smells though.

1 Like

purple Hindu Kush , purple afghan or sr71 purple kush are all possibilities along with several others but those were all very popular in there time, I still grow the purple Hindu Kush which is the purple afghani x Hindu Kush. The purple afghani from the California Bay Area might be a landrace afghan but I think it is a cross personaly.

7 Likes

I had some Purple Hindu Kush when I was in Oregon a few years back and was not a fan of it all. Kinda floral tasting if I remember right and I didn’t care for the high.

I’d hope the sr71 purple kush would be where it’s at. I have a pack of Guammaineiangardens sr71 purple kush bx5 in the fridge I was hoping to get to at some point but could probably be talked into trading them…

4 Likes

The purple Hindu from the bay area is more of a musky earthy flavor almost dusty tasting if that makes sense.

4 Likes

I also had “purple kush” from Oregon in 2016 and I did not like it but I really enjoy the bay area purple kush.

This is the stuff from 2016 and I think it was just called that cuz of the color.

6 Likes

in the early 2000s grand daddy purp was the king of purple kush on the east coast.

3 Likes

Sr71. Now there is a name I haven’t heard in awhile.

4 Likes

I grew Farmer Joes SR-71, it was larger yielding, light green, with huge nuggs and, maybe a flowery rosemary or thyme… not the grape and earthy SR71 with tiny deeply-purple nuggets that I used to get from the SR71 blackbird cafe.
There was a Garberville Purple Kush that I am still seeking… it had dready spikes … it smelled like bubba and, tasted like grapes and bubba kush. I loved that one.
The purple kush I got from Canada was a short little plant that put out exteemely thick and chonky nuggs but, I cant recall its exact flavor nor scent profiles… it didnt hit any of the “desired” kush notes that I was seeking at the time.
As an aside, yhe grandaddy purple I recall from Oakland in 2002-5 had an exteme taste and smell, it was so tasty it was as though someone sprayed old lady perfume (that tasted like skunk) in your mouth. Kens has nothing on that cut, they are totaly different. It’s story was that a gang banger from LA stole a cut and brought it to the Bay area to get away from the gang violence but, that strain was so desired that people were shooting up the hoods where it was being grown because everyone wanted it at the time.

6 Likes

Thanks for the replies guys, guess I’ll see if I can try out the sr71.

The buds were pretty uniform in size. Nothing huge, but definitely not small, and they were on the fluffy side. Anything’s possible but the batches we were getting were 100% coming from BC. It’d be weird that it was going from CA to BC and then back down across the border. Unless it was grown from bag seed from exported cali bud.

4 Likes

I remember being happy with royal queens GDP (Purple Urkle x Big Bud) back in the day.

2 Likes

The sr71 I grew and smoked was the one with the deep purple nugs and tons of stretch , musky earthy smell and taste similar to purple diesel. Was the cut that got released at the cup the same as joes or was it actually the real deal ?

3 Likes

Would consider getting a cut of kens gdp or purple punch, been considering getting them myself.

3 Likes

I am not sure what was released at the cup, I would love to try it, all I know is that FJ’s cut, when I grew it a couple years back, did not in any way resemble the Ultraviolet purple kush that the SR71 / blackbird cafe (later, after NASA threatened to sue them for using that name, renamed to Cafe Blue Sky) sold cuts of back in the early 2K’s.

3 Likes

First thing i thought after reading that was this song, brings back memories. Those early 2000s really changed the game.

3 Likes

I’d really like this one in seed form

Bodhi
sr71 purple kush x appalachia
sr71 pk crossed with h&l’s appalachia (green crack x tres dawg), given out as harvest moon presents and as freebies.

8 Likes

You could check out CSI Humbolt, He has alot of Purple Afghan and Mendo Purps S1’s and crosses of those S1’s.

5 Likes

@Spreadhe4d I hold the BC purple kush cut from Canada. I have her in with an open pollination of OGer kush that you’re welcome to some seeds of

9 Likes

Alright! I like this lead, don’t know anything about OGer but glad to hear someone recognize BC purple kush. The sr71 looks killer but the buds are way more purple than I remember.

3 Likes