Question about Cal/Mag water

I was just reading on the coco for cannabis website and I was reading about mixing nutes. The article stated that when growing in coco coir (which I am) if you mix your nutrient solution and, your Ec is higher than you like then, you should dilute with cal mag water so that you don’t run into any cal or mag deficiencies later on. My question is, I thought if you add cal/mag after your base nutes that it would cause fall out, or precipitation. Can anyone tell me if this is the case or, is it safe to dilute with cal/mag water? Thanks everyone.

1 Like

Ive never heard of fallout. I mix calmag in my nutes in coco no particular order. I could be wrong but I dont see why it be an issue but adding cal mag isnt gonna lower ec. The extra water is.

2 Likes

General hydro says to add calmag armor si before the micro. Don’t know why

3 Likes

If you mix cal/mag after the micro within a few hrs of it circulating in your mix tank the cal mag will fall out ! You’ll end up with a layer stuck to the bottom of the tank.
Not sure if all nutes are the same but general hydro is very fussy when it comes to doing the right order even doing it proper but poorly mixed will cause issues!

3 Likes

This is the same reason why most nutrients are sold as an A+B formula. When concentrated, the minerals will form a bond and precipitate out of solution. When this happens, they are left in a form the plant cannot use.

The propor order is silica, cal/mag, micro, grow, bloom. Making sure each is mixed well before adding the next.

However, when these are diluted first, this does not happen. This is why they are suggesting diluting with cal/mag water. In other words, pre dilute the cal/mag and it will mix without issues. They are suggesting this so the cal/mag levels stay the same but the NPK values lower.

12 Likes

Ahhh! I just learned something o wise master lol! I have been doing the 5ml of cal\mag added to a gallon of water to use to lower Ec. I was nervous doing so because I thought it would fall out being I was adding it after my base nutes. Thanks for teaching me something today. :slight_smile:

Certain nutrients will lock out if added after other nutrients causing them to “fall out” or become unavailable to the plants. There is definitely a order to follow for some nutrient lines. Believe me, I learned this the hard way! :tired_face:

3 Likes

Damn never knew that. I dont really pay attention to the order i use it in. See now i got something to go learn about.

1 Like

So like most things I’ve been doing this backwards and half assed. I always dump in my maxibloom, then calmag, then shake. But I’ve never noticed anything dropping out or a layer on the bottom, of course it gets mixed up pretty good in a gallon jugs so maybe that’s why.

1 Like

I use maxi bloom also. I do silica, cal/mag, then Maxi. Any sort of boosters or bud hardeners go in after. I hope I’m doing THAT right?!?! :fearful:

2 Likes

Where it’s noticeable more for me mixing larger amounts 50/60 gal and only using say 40 and having it sit and it doesn’t take long a vigorous stir (if not used the following day I’d feed it to my shrubs )
also if you reverse silica and cal mag instant reaction balls of silica.
Running general hydro 10 additives in the mix and it sucks if ya mess up
@ReikoX has a great trick I’ll going to try see how it works .

4 Likes

If I pour in Silica last it’s an instant grey cloud of precipitate.

I get nutrient crust though, no matter what order I add. Source water is like 400 ppm.

5 Likes