Question about Lollipopping and Defolation

Hey.
I did NOTHING till day 21 of Flowering. Then i Lollipopped and did a BIT of selective Deleaf.
I cut like 30 branches each plant, that did not got to the top of at least the first trellis.

The pictures u see is a 120x120 (4x4) with 6x15L (3.9 Gallon) pots.

It will get hot and the humidity will kill me ill guess (THIS SUMMER), so i just want ur honest opinion.
What could i do better next time? I start soon :smiley:

1. Is that to much Lollipopping?

2. was the second trellis net the better option or not? I did not wanted to cut any leafes at the top (max. 5 leafes per Plant) so i took the second netting.

3. What had u made different? What u would rate mine?

Was the first real scrogg so i would love to hear ur opinion.

Day 18 of Flower was that:

Day 21 of flower:

First Trellis Flowering day 11:

Second trellis at the end flowering day 38

“END” Flowering day 60 (cut day 63):

28 Likes

If I lollipop or heavy defoliate my plants I do it in the veg stage, doing it in the flowering one could stunt them and concentrate in repopulating leaves instead of producing buds … beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

I heard and saw a 20% more weight on the end if u just do it on flowering day 21.
(20% is so much)

Sanlight did the test + there should be less leafes in the buds if u do it just day 21.

If u do it earlier then the plant will try to produce the biomass somewhere else That was my thought process behind this run, so i did it day 21 of flower … no leafes anymore.

What do u say to the lollipopp? Was it to much / to less?

1 Like

You could have done something with your first picture but it’s pretty late now.

5 Likes

I don’t go that aggressive with mines and only do it in veg, but if that’s your style and it rewards you I will not criticize your choices, here’s some good info I have bookmarked and followed, maybe it can give you some ideas:

4 Likes

Your garden looks great!

1 Like

Whatever you’re doing, it’s working!!! Excellent work, may it continue, indeed. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Man, those colas are looking chunky!

2 Likes

I also do not do it in flowering

2 Likes

I’d say that you’re doing something right. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As for me, with a photoperiod plant I will take whatever I want in little bits at a time through veg. Then a nice defoliation right before the flip and again at day 21-ish. After that, I’m pretty selective about what I remove.
Best of luck brotha. Congrats on the legalization! :call_me_hand:t3:

3 Likes

I had so many hermies in the last times.
It broke my head… Did i something wrong? Is the genetic not stable?

So, thats the reason i said, i step back, and said to me I just use:
Topping
Day 21 Lolli + Defo.

Was a bit heavy to be honest (much foliage removed) but just once. And it was good ill guess.
Maybe i will try one defo and pre lollipopp 3 days before flip on 1 plant.

But we can see on these pictures, u dont have to do much… u can do a little bit once in flowering day 21 (or after stretch) and its still fine.

1 Like

I’ve never really understood defoliating heavily the bottom half of a plant. Why veg for an extra month to then strip all that veg away? Surely better to go into flower a month earlier and end up with the same end result and finish a month earlier and have another plant 4 weeks in.

3 Likes

What my thoughts are, u ask?

Eh, i want big buds, i did had over 30 buds per plant.
So i cut all things away, that got no light. So the remaining 30 buds could be more bigger.

I had to take the extra veg time, to fill up the gaps in that netting, thats why :slight_smile:
Every “netting gap” got 1 bud.

The plant showed me till day 21 that it doesnt need the lower parts, it threw them all away on her own. So i was everyday on the bottom and took 30 leafes up.

• It does lower ur Humidity
  • it lowers the risk of powdery mildew and the little animals that we dont want.

I dont know if i did to much… so thats why i started this thread. So ur opinion is MORE then welcome buddy!
On the top i did like 5 leafes each plant. U could say i did nothing at the top.
Just middle and lower parts of the plant.

@Igor + Sanlight tryed something they got +20% more harvest with that stuff
Just day 21 of flower, using Lollipopp, not in veg + not that much leafes in the buds that u should get, when u defo and lollipopp in veg.

3 Likes

Ok, thank you for the explanation.

Don’t get me wrong, I pull big fan leaves off myself, to lower the humidity. But then when The next sized leaf grows back to the size of that removed fan leaf within 3 days I start to wonder if maybe the plant “needs” these big solar panels.

I see a lot of people removing leaves to “expose buds to the light.” I’m also not sure if this is counter productive. In the past I’ve had grows with plants at the back, almost in shade, but they’ve put out big fan leaves and also big colas despite getting less than adequate light.

I’ve been pondering this for a while. I’m not trying to start anything, just thinking out loud and appreciate other’s thoughts.

4 Likes

It turned out nice, congrats.

But, if you want to cast a critical eye on it, I’d say your canopy is still too deep to fully benefit from a scrog. Sounds as if maybe you trained during veg then let them go once you flipped?

I flip when screen is about 60% full then continue to train to the screen throughout stretch. That’ll keep the canopy flatter. Challenge is doing that with 6 plants. With so many plants, there’s not enough space to train them horizontally so we end up having to allow them to grow vertically, which isn’t really what we want. I’m usually guilty of this too, but 3-4 plants in a 4x4 is probably the max if you want to utilize the screen as intended.

This is super nitpicking since you asked. Otherwise I wouldn’t have mentioned, it looks like your grow turned out great. But it’s something to consider if you want to keep scrogging.

Oh, you defoliation wasn’t over the top at all. I typically do more than that at day 21.

Edit to add - you also mention “5 leaves per plant”. Do you mean 5 nodes per branch? I’ll typically strip all but the top 3 nodes on each branch, as I find the quality of the 4th and 5th nodes lacking (assuming you are growing “upright”). That’s personal preference and lighting dependent of course.

4 Likes

@Igor , think of it like this

Root mass and leaf mass are balanced in plant

Take away leaf mass then plant will have to regrow leafs to match the roots and vice versa , for plant to function properly

5 Likes

FWIW I believe that under certain conditions, constant defoliation helps keep things in check within your growing environment. For example, I grow in a large SIP in a very tight grow space and have had excellent yields, even with the amount of defoliating I do.

Here in the first two pics you are the day of the flip. Past few runs I’ve usually done the strip and flip to help keep everything manageable in the cabinet. The times I haven’t done this I’ve usually had to defoliate by the end of first week anyways due to so many fans leaves that they are laying on top of each other wet lol.

1 week after the initial strip

Stripped again at 2 weeks

Another strip at Day 21

One final defoliation at day 42 to open up the lights to all the lowers

Last picture was day before the chop and with all the defoliating and lollipopping done on this lady she yielded me right about 6.5 Oz with only a couple grams of larf.

All in all, heavy defoliation works well in my situation and for the space that I have to grow in!

Cheers!

6 Likes

Like i said, it was my really first Scrog. So ur post is more then welcome, thank you :slight_smile:
But i would bet my ass off, if i would remove this much foliage, i will get a hermie problem… I know it xD

But i believe that much stripping is not for me (and i think the plant doesnt love that at all) maybe iam wrong, but i do have the feeling its just to much.
But the finish looks awesome, well done :slight_smile:

My thought process is, 8 inches or what ever the light distance u have from the light should be used. If we cut those… then we lose something

If we cut these, the next are much further away from the light - so much less photosynthesis power. Thats why i let the top alone.

Maybe 3 days before flip and then day 21? That i would say is fine.

This time i will do 2 plants 3 days before flip and see the difference.

May i ask what genetic these are? Looks so beatiful… Well done buddy! @Smscreations

2 Likes

This fine specimen was a cut of Grease Monkey that I acquired from a local grower. Beans originally came from Exotic Genetix I believe. Guy popped a pack and found an outstanding purple pheno that he chose to hold on to.

2 Likes

Nice. I have not the chance to get these original one’s.

So i thought about buying a pack of nirvana’s Grease Monkey.
Beatiful plant, may i ask the terp profile from your’s?

If i do these Nirvana one’s i will post pictures.

1 Like