Randomly Chucking Fems in fields

Hey gang. Just wondering if anyone has tried random chucking of fem seeds in open fields and how did it turn out for you?

6 Likes

@DougDawson , did your round of hand tossing out the windows ever take?

3 Likes

I will be looking around when we open the cottage. Got lots more to toss this year too.

9 Likes

I have. They didn’t do squat.

1 Like

I’m wondering if you have to play the weather watching game and do it when its raining consecutive days? Like really water them in

2 Likes

That’s probably a better method than an early spring broadcast from the car-window! :joy:

4 Likes

I’d say you’re better off with 100 clones.

1 Like

hahaha. I can just picture someone doing that. That would be amazing if that actually worked

1 Like

100 clones would be amazing but definitely not legal for me. I’d be able to keep 4 clones legally that way. Getting a harvest from randomly chucking extra seeds sounds awesome to me.

I’ve done it the last couple seasons in spring. Never seen any sprout into plants. Maybe because mice find them and eat them before they germinate…
I’m gonna try making clay seed bombs next week. Supposedly higher success rate that way

4 Likes

Back in the day when I used to smoke brick weed I always made sure to toss the seeds into people’s gardens.

A friend once told me her mom found some interesting weeds in her garden.

2 Likes

Ideally seeds need a slight damp covering to germinate properly. I scattered about 30 autoflower seeds across freshly tilled soil last year. 4 grew into plants that I could harvest. Was it a waist of seeds? Yes! Was it worth it. 100%

5 Likes

That’s awesome. If you have hundreds to fool around with, it’s totally worth it!

2 Likes

I had a friend who’s boss would get 100 clones on off a mom, and he would compensate them. Then as he landscaped public property with no public access. He would Guerilla it up in plain sight. Dudes probly doing the same thing today. But that was clones. Not beanage. That was 25 years ago btw

5 Likes

Wish I had a bunch of seeds to do this with. I know a ton of good places, I’m always pointing out spots lol.

2 Likes

Someone should try and find out how they make these balls.If bet you guys woukd get a better germ rate putting beans in little clay balls like these ones and tossing them.Birds and other critters probably eating the seeds

5 Likes

I have done direct sow a couple of times you need a bunch of seeds between the bugs and rodents they love seedling so spraying with neem helps. You also imo need to soak your seeds for a few hours before planting and sprinkle seeds on top of tilled soil an lightly cover with peat. One of my biggest harvest came from a direct sowing but no plants went over 4ft.

4 Likes

My area is pretty dry, but about 30 miles from my house there’s a stream that comes out of the ground and supports a national forest and a few farms. I’m going to get out there in a month or so and scatter a bunch of regular auto seeds and see what they do.

3 Likes

Here ya go dude, instructions on how to make clay seed balls. :link: [LINK]

Bonus: I found a PDF for Masanobu Fukuoka’s book One Straw Revolution, which is the origin of the clay seed balls IIRC.

10 Likes

Boy oh boy I know a real good couple spots for these and i have buttloads of seeds to roll up into balls :smiling_imp:

4 Likes