Re-working my growroom to see if I can get a better crop AKA Kelly's heroes

This is what I got out of the room last grow. I think with a few minor changes, we can do better. I thought we could look at my options and choices for this space. I will take pictures of the room as changes are made. So let’s get started.

18 Likes

Hi @Kelly! Glad to see you started your first topic / diary! :sunglasses:
Keep the photos & description coming so we can discuss it…

5 Likes

Give us the gory details.

You know we like to ask questions and make suggestions and stuff.

99%

5 Likes

What needs improvement? What’s that critical factor? Temp, humidity, lighting? Find your current limiting factor and start with that. For me it was/is humidity, getting that up has made dramatic improvements in my grow. :+1::seedling:

5 Likes

What did you do to increase your himidity?

1 Like

Got an ultrasonic fogger on a humidity controller.

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Dehumidification-Humidifaction-Dehumidifier-Charcuterie/dp/B07CGXY15L/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525281149&sr=8-3&keywords=inkbird+humidity+controller

4 Likes

What type of lighting? Sq feet, HVAC, etc?
I’m guessing HPS on the lighting by that picture (but i know it could be anything @2700).

I’m in the process of designing a new space as well… will be watching!

1 Like

Hmmm, that’s pretty cool. And relatively inexpensive too. Might have to restrain my wallet from accidentally purchasing one :laughing:

3 Likes

Ok I am sorry for starting this topic and not kept up with it. I came down with the worse flu I have had in many years. I am finally starting to feel well enough to continue. Tomorrow I will add some pics and go over my changes. Thank you all for your patience. For now I will say I thought I needed more reflective light as the small space was painted a tan color. In my opinion the tan made the space dark even with a 400 watt halide lamp. For this I thought about my options, I could line the space with aluminum foil like we did way back when. I thought about Mylar but I live on a very fixed income so the cost was to high. What I decided to do was paint the space a flat white. Now before some of you start wondering and asking why not gloss white. In my opinion the gloss white makes hot spots and reflects its light in an uneven pattern back to the plants. Also if you have ever seen high intensity lights reflected back off high gloss it creates blinding spots in your eyes. So I used flat that gives a more even light in the space. Next I removed th ballast out of the growing space. I moved it up on the shelf above with a fan blowing on it when it is running. I keep another fan on the shelf to keep air moving around the space. It also removes the heat from the space. With the fans running and the door cracked 4 inches the room stays at 76 degrees when the light is on. The space cools to 68-70 degrees at night. Ok I will start adding the pics and other changes I am considering. Talk at you all later.

5 Likes

sounds like you’re doing the right stuff. i’m on the super-low-income too.

:evergreen_tree:
c.s

2 Likes

Dann this flu is still kicking my butt. Can’t seem to shake it. So thank you everyone for your pataince. Ok, back to my room.

This is what the room was like. A tan color that I think really absorbed the light that hit it. If the plants are on the edge they don’t seem to do as well as the ones directly under the lights. I know from other growspaces that painting the space white will help those plants not directly under the lights.
Here are the tools and paint I choose for the job ahead. Everything from the shelf down will be painted white.
There are some questions needing answered. I am using a 400 watt HID system. I use halide for the veg stage oh growth then change to hos for flower. The space is 9 sq feet or just a couple of inches short of a meter square. Right now I use just a regular box fan to remove heat. With the door cracked 4-5 inches the temp stays in the low 70. I am worried about more heat with the new white walls. Last time I painted a growspace white the temp in the room went up 10+ degrees. I may need to add more fans. Ok that’s enough for now. I need to go lay down. Tomorrow I will post the pics of the space painted white and where the equipment is located and also I will talk about where to get some of it dirt cheap. In till then have a great day and a better tomorrow.

4 Likes

What a bad time to start a thread about a growroom. The last two weeks have been the worst. First the flu than I sat down to write more and enjoy some peanuts. While I was enjoying those peanuts I broke a tooth and exposed a nerve. Then I have had doctor’s appointments almost everyday. The doctor did not want to cut me first. He wants to try something else first. So I have been fitted with a collar and done all kinds of tests. It has been crazy.
Ok back to the growroom. After painting the room we get a nice clean what space that should reflect the light better.

This is what the room looks like now.
For the ligot I took a 2×4 and cut it to go across the room so the light will hang in the center of the room. I cut two legs to raise the 2×4 higher then just the shelves that are in here. I put a hook in the middle to hang a pulley from. I put a hook on the wall to tie off the light. Here are a couple of pics to show what it looks like.

Then the rope runs to this hook to tie it off.

That is it. Now to get the light hung and plants under it. All electrical items are now off the floor and on the shelf above everything.that wait no water can get close to the power supply. Everything is run through a surge protector and the timer is just above eye level while sitting in my wheelchair.

Here is what the room looks like after the changes. I think it will make a big difference in the plants. Lets look at the finished room.

And the final test is to put plants under the light and see the difference. These plants are 14 days old. They have been pinched with the fim procedure. There are 3 bubblegum and a girl Scott cookies. I had a papaya and gorilla glue. They did not grow. I let my wife, who is a great gardener, talk me into planting without using my peat pots. The soil was to hot and burnt them up. I will never skip the peat pots again. I feel they buffer the seedling from the fertilizer until they are big enough to handle it. Now for the plants.

Now we will see what I get for a harvest out of my growroom now. I took soom cuttings off the girl Scott cookies and I am trying to root them now. I will veg for 35 to 40 days depending on how big the plants get. The space allows for a four foot plant. Yha clones I am hoping to get 21 days on them before flowering. So that’s it folks. I will keep updating the thread as the plants grow. I started with a picture of my last plants two weeks before harvest. That was 6 plants. I think these four will fill the space better then they did. Thanks for following and I hope you will all keep checking back to see how the plants do this time.

Have a great day and better tomorrow.

5 Likes

if you could put white plastic or something white on the floor it will increase the light more still. looking good. I like GSC

2 Likes

I thought about cutting the carpet out and painting the floor but my wife would not let me. I now know why. My birthday was in April and she ordered my a special present. She bought me a grow tent and it just arrived. So the next thread will be about putting it together. This will give me a lot of options. Now I just need to decide which will become my mother and clone room while the other becomes a flowering space. I am looking forward to all my options Now.

5 Likes

wow those plants look big for 14 days, are they from clone?

1 Like

No they are from seeds. I started the seeds in a paper towel and then start to the pots. I counted the days back to when they went under the lights. They have been under lights for 17 days and they went under the lights when they got there firsts true leafs. I guess they are a little older then that but how long does a plant take to get its frst set of leafs after sprouting out of soil. Just a couple of days. So if you count from the time they broke through the soil to today they are 19 or 20 days from breaking out of the soil. I paid not look at my calendar but knew it had only been a couple of weeks. So you are right they are 6 days older then that. Sorry, next time I will get my calendar out before I open my mouth and say something wrong. Thank you for pointing my mistake. Still i can see a big difference in my plants since painting… As for the floor i use large cookie sheets to reflect the light back up. The other pan is no down yet. I had to use it to move some plants outside.

One thing you do have to worry about is the under side of the leaves as they are not ment to collect light. Reflections in nature are not usually comming up under the leaves so you have to watch about too much reflection comming up underneath . forsure can still have it just makesure not too much

Never ever had a problem before.

2 Likes

Just saying it can be for atleast some strains if it is too intense

I recommend a huge dose of ReikoX’s LITFA, as soon as possible. Hook’em up Reiko!

:sunglasses:
(i just got let in on the joke, join the party)

Very cool of the Mrs.! A keeper :wink:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like