Red Devil Grow Journal

This is everything Red Devil strain.
Red Devil is an evenly balanced hybrid strain (50% indica/50% sativa) created through crossing the potent Afghani X Afghani Skunk strains. The winner of the Toronto Cannabis Cup in 2009, this bud was bred with the purpose of creating a hybrid with an indica lean that hits just like a sativa.

Given the effects, we have to say that the breeders definitely succeeded.
Red Devil packs a strong and immediate high that hits hard in the head before spreading throughout the rest of the body with unmatched potency.

You’ll feel a high-flying and unfocused euphoria that has your mind fading in and out of hazy bliss. At the same time, a super relaxing and tingly body buzz will hit your physical form, leaving you kicked back, couch-locked and pretty aroused.

These heavy effects and its insanely high 29%+ average THC level give Red Devil an edge in treating chronic pain, cramps or muscle spasms, inflammation, chronic fatigue and chronic stress. Red Devil has a spicy and chocolatey grape flavor, almost like a mulled wine. The aroma is very similar, although with hints of woody pine and pungent skunk to it, too.

Red Devil buds have grape-shaped minty green nugs with thick red-orange hairs and a coating of frosty tiny minty white crystal trichomes.
This is one of the best strains of the 2000s, this got your eyes very red and the stone was powerful.

I’ll start the thread with seeds in the progress of growing, in fertilome ultimate bag soil, in a seed soil tray.

I have some new soil I’m testing, with meal worm frass and mostly rabbit manure, for a basic soil blend for these seeds. :dove:

30 Likes

I will replace peat as a growing product, I did some testing with it, the carbon effect of peat is the same as all the cars in America.

So it’s a major problem and it’s our duty in the Cannabis cultivation community to not follow the peat path

Hydrafiber is a peat replacement but needs mixed in with a machine.

2 ft LED 6 inches away, just a cheap home depot inexpensive model.But it does great for the initial week. :dove:

10 Likes

This should be a great grow, will take a back seat and drool quietly… love the concern for the enviroment, peat use is devastating.

1 Like

Very good germination using Gauze Sponges.
All look great so far, this is a typical Red Devil structure emerging :seedling:

7 Likes

Moving them in containers for the next growth stage.
Environment is pretty much dry warm air. My humidifier went out and I haven’t bought a new one yet.

8 Likes

After i took the last picture i moved the plants to the LED light and got the reflective material in place.
All but one is Red Devil, the taller one is Hawaiian Sativa x Turkish Hash Plant F1 tester.

Just before being topped

After topped…

Ones on the table are Garlic bud clones mainly. And the big one in the back hiding on the floor is a Garlic bud clone in 4 inches of soil in a 15 gallon container. It’s ready to be transplanted to its permanent home lol

6 Likes

The Red Devil’s have many SK1 leaning attributes. I was lucky enough to find a strong Afghanica phenotype.

The aroma of the Afghanica leaning phenotype is more rich In aroma and definitely a breeding tool for other crosses.

When breeding craft seeds I try and look for phenotypes that have a 50/50 balance as Red Devil describes it being.

So this gives me the opportunity to breed a true 50/50.

The Afghanica phenotype will more than likely breed into the first 50/50 Red Devil’s I breed together and cross into other strains as well.

9 Likes

Update many are showing the SK1 influence, except one is a strong Afghanica phenotype.

Definitely liking the Afghanica phenotype, it has a rich sweet smell to it and better than the SK1 influence phenotypes.

Very healthy plants and they’ve been very easy to grow. I have one plant in a 5 gallon bucket with no drain holes, old school way I use to grow them.

And I’ve starting mixing regular soil and mostly rabbit manure to use for indoor containers, also Hydrafiber sent me a sample Ez blend Hydrafiber to test. I’m looking for a good peat replacement and it looks like a great product.

Tho I’ve had great success with regular soil and manure I’m using bag soils for testing this year.

The Dank and HPCC promix I’m using now.

I did use back to the roots plant food last year in testing and really liked it’s performance, I used all purpose in veg and the edible formula in flowering.

I added both veg and edible at the beginning of Flowering and it did no harm.

I plan on trying back to the roots plant food again to see what results I get again.

11 Likes

I loved mine, enjoy.

2 Likes

This looks promising.

1 Like

Looking good, I’m looking for a breeder male for other crosses and I’ve got a strong Afghanica phenotype Red Devil in the set I germinated.

I’m going to cross a Red Devil male into Garlic Bud, Shiva Shanti, Hawaiian Sativa x Turkish Hash Plant, WS18 and to itself the best 50/50 Red Devil phenotype expression of both crosses that made them.

To keep it true to the strain’s 50/50 genetic ratio.

I’ve had too tuck individual fan leaves under and over, so light can reach the surface of the Afghanica looking phenotype leaves.

Hopefully the strong Afghanica looking phenotype is a male. :dove:

9 Likes

Love the huge fans, those crosses should be straight :fire: no doubt. Plants are looking sooo healthy, great job so far

1 Like

I’ve grabbed a breeder female to clone here. It has a 50/50 Afghanica and SK1 expression. To stay true to the genetics.

Lots of great phenotypes in the set, Red Devil was a huge open pollen project, they are great seeds to phenotype hunt.

I set them outside on a nice day, great selection of phenotypes

Spider mites are appearing, nothing like winter growing indoors 20 to 30% humidity lol
Red devil does has a good Spider mite resistance. PM resistance.

The 11 leaf strong Afghanica phenotype is unique compared to the rest have 5, 7 and 9 leaves.

I’ve cloned the strong Afghanica phenotype male for breeding with other strains, it’s a beautiful Red Devil and will go great into other genetics.

12 Likes

Put them outside, bring them inside. Now you have spider mites.
Does anybody ever learn?

2 Likes

Great looking grow! Bet they enjoyed the sunshine. Nothing like that ball of fire hitting the ganja

2 Likes

Red Devil update.
Most are SK1 expressions, showing 5 to 9 leaves, one surfaced with 11 leaves. A strong Afghanica phenotype expression.

This one is what I’ve been hunting for.

I’ve decided to use the male Red Devil to cross into other strains and select only one Red Devil female to cross with this Afghanica phenotype.

This one was the female selected

Growers I spoke with said Red Devil prefers Outdoors. My main goal was to find a breeder Red Devil, whether it was male or female.

The Red Devil male above has a long list of strains to pollenate. It has a rich sweet intoxicating smell like nothing else. Time to cross it into other strains from here out. :100::dove:

7 Likes

Just found this grow amazing. I’ve never heard of this strain but your description of its effects sounds like what my dream bud is like :fire::fire::fire:. Will be watching this grow pulling up a seat and lighting a fatty.
Those leaf structures are great fat fingered leaves are so cool looking.

2 Likes

Nice journal…
Beautiful plants…
Will be following for sure…:v:t4::herb::alien:

1 Like

those are some healthy plants! looking fantasic!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

That Red Devil looking mighty fine.

1 Like