Regional Strains

Im not sure if this has been discussed in here, possibly ad nauseam, but everyone has a strain of weed that was local to your area. For me growing up in Indiana, it was Bubble Gum.

What were the popular strains of yester year that were local to your state or region, and are the genetics still available?

18 Likes

Ohio deathstar. I would love to get my hands on a clone or seeds. But since weā€™re an illegal state I have no idea where to even look

11 Likes

NASA. I have no idea WHAT it actually is. Like lots of strains Iā€™m sure.

4 Likes

@Habitt Canā€™t remember who it was but someone else on here was talking about NASA weed and they said it was Mexican bud sold by the NASA headquarters building

4 Likes

I can believe it.

3 Likes

I think AK bean brains has a deathstar :v:

out here in cali I canā€™t think of a bigger name than blue dream. My friend used to complain thatā€™s all we could ever find :joy:

8 Likes

Sorry about that :rofl: my friends are to blame for the blue dream flood lol

13 Likes

@Heritagefarms The blue dream days was the last time a haze hybrid was the dominant strain in a market. I havenā€™t been to Amsterdam so Iā€™m not sure if Dutch Haze is still popular there. My local market wasnā€™t inundated with it, but it was a nice change from the previous years of all OG Kush all the time.

Locally I remember a lot of Sweet Tooth and Grapefruit in my area of Canada growing up. Also a cut of something that went by ā€˜Mr Cleanā€™ and was popular in the early 2000s in my area. Very lemony sativa with very swollen bracts.

6 Likes

Out here blue dream was the only real strain we got for a long time. I mean people called shit by different names but blue dream was the only consistent real world strain we could find or identify

5 Likes

Back in the 80ā€™s everything was green bud, kgb killer green bud, or skunk. What strains they were I couldnā€™t tell you. Three names for whatever they got. Fast forward 40 years and everything is correct and we now have 7 billion names and strains. I need a labeler machine.

12 Likes

Yeah, in my day we had mexi weed, green bud, killer green bud, kind bud, and skunk but I literally think all of those names were just for anything that wasnā€™t Mexican brick weed.

9 Likes

Yup :100: :100:

2 Likes

My local town in the sierras never really had enough growers for any specific strain to become dominate , Mexican , columbian red hair, and skunk buds were most of what got brought into town, when I lived in Sonoma county the purples were starting to get huge in the medical scene but I had friends growing train wreck ,romulan, Sonoma coma and a lot of salmon creek big bud , then the blue dream clone was acquired and passed to a few people then a few more then the flood.
Iā€™ve always been a kush fiend and focused on the sours, kush and similar plants , there was a couple years in the early 2000 era all I grew was la confidential , bubba kush , ecsd and purple diesal.
Oh I actualy do remember when I was young several people in my town grew a Turkish landrace and a pure purple plant they called purple kush.

9 Likes

I could live perfectly happy the rest of my life with nothing but kush.

3 Likes

Through the eighties and early 90ā€™s pretty much just smoked Mexican brick, but every once in a while when I had some extra cash I could ask for krippy that was the name for all the better smoke it wasnā€™t always the same bud but it was always called krippy

I actually remember being passed if I found a seed in the krippy bud cause it was suppos to be seedlessā€¦how dumb iwas

5 Likes

I havenā€™t gotten to try any of the Hawaiian heirloom strains other than our Catpiss and Kona Gold but both are clean smokes! No way to confirm if they were what I was told they were though and Iā€™m too young to have been sampling the classic stuff pre operation Green Harvest

4 Likes

@highminwin sent me some packs though and one was a Kona Maui (Kona Gold x Maui Wowie) that Iā€™m holding onto dearly until I can run it

4 Likes

Iā€™m going to be running some pure Kona gold here soon , just waiting for the temps to go up but I got them from somebody very respected in the community before he passed and they were acquired in the late seventies then kept pure by him. RIP Lawrence Ringo his work with cbd lines has helped countless people and will continue to into the future. I could only dream of having that much of a positive influence on the cannabis community.

9 Likes

Iā€™m definitely familiar with that name, Ringoā€™s Gift is a legend! Not to mention his entire body of work with CBD plants. I hope those Kona Gold work out beautifully for you, I came about mine from Mt. Zion Seed co-op they sent me the Kona gold and a nice Mulanje Gold back in 2021

2 Likes

In DC, unless you were hanging out around one of the colleges, the only weed available was what we called ā€œreggieā€ (meaning regular, same as ā€œmidsā€), OG, and ā€œdroā€ which was any hydroponically grown weed.

Up at American university and Georgetown is where I first experienced weed that had names. Had Romulan, Red Dragon, Blueberry Kush, northern Lights, trainwreck, green crack and Emerald Triangle. Good times!

6 Likes