ReikoX's Workshop 2023

Crazy story… When i went to Afterthoughtauto’s I saw a picture of the BettyBoop coffee shop, the same one I went to for a week while I was in Amsterdam in 2004 writing reports for OverGrow and ICMAG at the 17th Hightimes Canna Cup. Turns out was favorite place to stop by for the seed breeder from 2003 to closing, It is the same place where Quentin Tarantino wrote most of pulp fiction. Thank you sooooo very much for the referral, looking forward to seeing what the two of you do together in the future.
Have a absolutely outstanding Friday!

13 Likes

Dominion Diesel girls are finishing up fast now. Gave them one last bloom feed last night. Turned the lights down to 70% and added the UV and IR supplemental lights for the last two weeks. Here we are at day 50F, guessing they will go 65 days tops.

Far red lights stay on for the last 15 minutes of the cycle.

59 Likes

hey @ReikoX - I trust you are keeping well and had pleasant Christmas!
Just a quickie naroud the lights - the reds, UVA/B - how are you finding the end product? Is it noticeable, especially on yeh hash making front.

Thanks
Z

2 Likes

Haven’t really done any side by side comparisons, but I feel like the far reds at sunrise/sunset help the plant finish faster.

I’m still on the fence with the UV doing a whole lot. I usually run them all the way through, this time I’m only doing the the last few weeks of flower. This is actually the suggested use on the Rapid LED website for them.

18 Likes

Hey boss, Im going to keep an eye on this log.

Question for ya, Do you dim the lights over a period of time as well or just the red at sun up/down?

5 Likes

Yes, my lighting controller has a sunrise/sunset function. Currently the far red come on at 35% for 15 minutes. Then the other lights ramp up to 35% over 60 minutes and stay there for an additional 60 minutes. They then all ramp up to 70% over the next 90 minutes. They stay at 70% for five hours before ramping back down to 35% over 90 minutes, stay there for 60 minutes, then everything but the far red will ramp down until night, when the far red stay on at 35% for the last 15 minutes.

This can be visually represented with the following graph.

37 Likes

Awesome stuff! In your words what does the far red do?

I’m aware that far red penetrates a canopy and through leaves really well, so if any leaf is receiving a high % of far red compared to visible frequencies, the leaf “knows” it’s being shaded and creates a stress response… to grow either taller (stem elongation) or bushier (increased branching).

I don’t know which response cannabis has, or if it has one, both, or varies based on strain. I do know we generally want less stretch and more branching. Are you seeing any modification to stretch or branching?

Neither of those words are in this thread, which is why I ask.

9 Likes

The far reds increase stretch and shorten flowering time in my experience. I don’t add the far red until the bloom phase.

24 Likes

Thanks Reiko! Always appreciated :pray:

2 Likes

I’m chompin at the bit to set up my HLG Blackbird with the UVA30 Bar. I dig your set up :100: :fire: :sunglasses: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :peace_symbol:

5 Likes

Likewise I’m going to test out the uva30 on my SD this run it’s been sitting in my closet since I bought it because I was having great results with the light alone and I completely forgot about it… lol

6 Likes

Right on, tag me please. I don’t know when I can set up my indoor. grrrrrrrrr

1 Like

Hi brother. Could you tell me what are the consequences of using far red in veg? Greater internodal spacing? I really admire your cultivation.

2 Likes

Yes that’s my understanding. It makes the plant think it’s in the shade, so it has longer internode spacing to stretch put of the shade.

11 Likes

Oh! Thank you! I’ve been using FR since the start of the most recent run. It’s only been 4 days, but I’m about to change the key. Definitely not a feature I want.

1 Like

I’m going to ask you because I noticed that you have a lot of experience. I smoked a few days ago with a friend a flower with very large calyxes, really swollen. My plants have never exhibited similar calyxes. Do you believe this is due to genetic quality? Thank you very much.

1 Like

Yeah, bracts size and shape are genetic traits.

7 Likes

That’s a cool controller I’ve got a 30 min sun rise sunset feature wished mine would control more.

4 Likes

What controller is that?

1 Like

Last research I saw was that it appears UVA has almost no effect on either resin coverage or cannabinoid production. However, there’s some indication that UVB might have some benefit. Although, depending on which research you read and the interpretation of the findings, it might be negligible benefit.

2 Likes