Replacing 1000watt hps light with LED

I’m looking to replace my 1000watt hps light with something comparable in LED but don’t want to spend a fortune. What light spectrum do i use for sativas to help keep the height in check and what wattage am I looking for?

8 Likes

Wish I could be more help. I swapped my 1000w HPS for an HLG 600 Rpsec and it did great. Now I am testing a Mars FC6500 and it is also doing a great job. The HLG is the older square style and the Mars is the new bar light style. Both those lights would be a great replacement but are a bit pricey. I would say 600 to 650 watts with some Samsung 301b or 301h diodes no matter the manufacturer would get the job done for you.

6 Likes

Is that light on par with a 1000w hid? I’ve tried a few different styles of leds over the years and none even compared to my 600watters let alone my 1000’s.
I still wouldn’t mind making the switch but it gets expensive dropping 500 on this light or that light to find out they don’t do the job for me.
I’d like to try some of the newer ones but my track record has been holding me back

Edit: that’s weird. I thought I quoted that whole sentence lol

2 Likes

1k HPS usually had a canopy of 5x5, most 1k quantum board light styles( spider farmer sf1000, bloom plus bp1000, bloomspect ss1000, viparspectra vb1000, etc) is gonna cover about 2.5 x 2.5 to 3x3 and run about 100 watt at the wall. Reds of the spectrum are gonna create stretch and is much better for flowering end of season spectrums and why HPS wasn’t ideal an all around light and why many growers used metal halide for veg to promote the blue/white spectrums. These quantum boards I mentioned are mostly white and blue/white with a few red and a few IR, no fans(quiet(er) grow) and the most energy efficient. Bloomspect and bloomplus I’ve seen em for around 40 or less, viparspectra and spider farmer typically get a higher dollar out of theirs and can easy be up to a hundred a light. Guess my question is how big of a grow space you trying to fill, what’s your goal for plant size to amount of veg days and how many plants are you trying to run in that space?

2 Likes

I feel they do with less heat. Both the lights I quoted did just as well if not better than my 1000w MH/HPS setup which is now in the closet for emergencies.

1 Like

I was using 600w chps and switch to grow light science 300s and gavita uvrs. Happy I switched.

3 Likes

Yeah but those that you quote are not 1k, they are deceptive marketing. My HLG 600 and Mars 650 pull 600w and 650w respectively from the wall.

3 Likes

I have not used this light, but I almost bought it today.
Dr M J Coco:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLRAQ2RwNPo&ab_channel=DrMJCoco

3 Likes

There is no replacement for an HID!!

6 Likes

Not with gavita 1700e lol… all the way to edge… but that’s a $1300 light :upside_down_face:

I disagree bro

4 Likes

Here’s a great example of my 5x7 grow space with 22-24 plants in veg before I moved em to flower. Had 5 lights in there of a mix of quantum and blurple, blurple units were 600w bloomspect, a single 600 watt philzon(don’t recommend) and the 2 quantum’s are viparspectra vb1000

I started a thread on LED Black Friday deals. Hopefully you see something you like :fire::sunglasses::+1:

3 Likes

How big are your plants and how deep do the lights penetrate?

1 Like

This is why ppl get so confused with these, manufactures rate theirs all different ways, some figure (100) 10watt leds make 1000 watts, some exaggerate and say it’s equivalent to a 1k watt hps calling it a 1k, some do actual wattage from the wall. But reality is at the wall wattage doesn’t always mean performance either. I’ve got a 1500watt viparled that pulls 330 at the wall and the 2 viparspectra vb1000 that pull 100 each and the pair of those will out perform my viparled all day long with 130 less watts at the wall. End of the day it comes down to what the end goal is and the size of the canopy someone is trying to cover and paying attention to what the suggested rating of cover space the light is , if I was purchasing lights all over again I’d be doing em all quantum boards and wouldn’t be above the 40-50 dollar units in bloomspect or bloom plus or just keep sniping some more of the viparspectra ones on eBay for 50-60 each had no problem getting some great results with my setup in veg as u can see getting 4-5 ft plants in about 2 months vegging indoors. Here’s a couple pics of them now with some 3 weeks and some 5 weeks into flower in my greenhouse now( I let natural sunlight hrs do my flowering)

1 Like

The plants in that room in the first pic are the same plants your seeing in the 2 green house pics. My greenhouse sidewalls come up 4 ft and the loft is at 6 ft so that should give some good ref for size

2 Likes

I start and finish indoors, no greenhouse for this guy. … yet lol. But I grow 4 plants per light,that finish between 3-5 feet tall.
I know there’s good leds but the price I would have to pay to get what I wanted done makes me nervous lol that’s why I’m always asking about different leds hopefully I see the results before I have to dump that kind of money

3 Likes

I sort of agree with you, watts from the wall does not mean much if they use crap components. When speaking of quality led’s and and a quality build than watts from the wall is a good reference. In the end what matters is the light they put out. Vegging plants can be done under most led lights with no issues. Once you get into flowering it tends to separate the good from the crap. I would recommend my HLG 600 Rspec or a 650 Rspec to anyone looking to replace a 1000w MH/HPS system as I did it with great results. I am so far impressed with the Mars FC6500 but would not recommend it yet as I have not flowed with it. I will reserve judgement on that one until my run is done. That said the readings it gives me off my quantum meter say it will do great. As mentioned before though, both the lights I am talking about are pretty pricey.

4 Likes

Well I was def stretching it further than that then, I had 24 under the 5 lights with excellent growth. I ran 24hr though, my setup doesn’t have a good way to black out for darkness hours which is what dictated that decision and also why I don’t flower indoors. Take any of this advice I give you is prob best for veg suggestions only, I’m sure your gonna want to add some red spectrums and some extra lighting for flowering cycle though

1 Like

That makes total sense. You can spend a ton on top brand led’s. Thankfully I got my Mars for free :slight_smile: I still feel the sting from buying my HLG but don’t really regret it.

1 Like