Replacing ballasts - advice on brands

Looking to replace an old magnetic 1000w ballast.

On amazon I’m only seeing the usual suspects, ipower, vivosun.

I want something reliable.

Any suggestions on brands?

3 Likes

Depends on what you want to spend should be a ton of used around . I’ve got some spare cmh 315 there a good alternative to hps.

1 Like

I should add if used isn’t a issue put a wanted post in the used equipment thread .

Nanolux OG digital balasts are all I run. They are tiny, quiet, run cool, and can all be controlled by cloud if you want to set them up that way.

1 Like

Go hydrofarm sg ballasts. They’re more money but solid good units. I think the 1000s are about $100. I needed 600w ones they were more expensive 150 each on amazon type in hydrofarm convertible ballast. These also allow for either 110 or 240 input and have the outputs for both types of hoods.

1 Like

Oh and I should add I’ve never got one hot. They run cool.

these. You won’t regret em

2 Likes

Phantom II are a bit pricy, but the best according to what I’ve read. To the extent ballasts have bells and whistles, they have it all. I have two, and was satisfied with them for the time I used them. LEDs are far better for my situation though, too much heat from the HID.

Thank you everyone.
After pricing it out, went hydrofarm.

This fits my price range and gets what I was looking for, a reliable unit that I can trust.

3 Likes

You won’t regret it. I love the sg ballast. Have had a couple for years no issues. One was actually years old n used before I got it n still kicking. It is why I chose to buy another matching one. Plus I needed the other plug for the big cooled hoods

1 Like

Where are you located my friend? Never mind, see that you ordered. I have one here I used for one run, I was going to offer up. Hope the HF is awesome!

I’d hit eBay, I payed $50/ea for the 3 1000w phantoms I don’t use anymore less than 2 years ago. They’re solid, fanless, heavy and non dimmable. The ipower ballasts aren’t bad, I’ve got a 600 that I’ve had for close to 3 years now. It’s probably retired though too.

Man i gotta read the whole thread before responding, or at least look at the date :sweat_smile: