Revegging problem childs

This is my very first grow. I bought 12 clones and stuck them outside immediately not understanding that they needed to be weened off of lights. After 3 weeks, they started budding prematurely.
Now, it’s been about 5 weeks since they started budding and 5 of them started revegging on their own. I have mentioned this in a few other posts, but figured I would start a new thread specifically about this crazy grow.
I have several questions and have no idea what to do next…

1. Do I separate the 5 revegging plants and start back on Nitrogen rich nutrients?
  2. Why in the hell are all the new leaves these single finger weirdos? Why aren’t they regular 7 finger leaves now?
  3. Should I top these revegging suckers? They are bud on the bottom, weird veg growth on the top.
  4. The stalk on these 5 has doubled in size (around) compared to the others. Should I transplant them into a bigger pot?
  5. The normal 7 that are just buds haven’t seemed to change in over a week. Isn’t that strange? What should I do with them? Continue feeding for bloom?

5 Likes

A plant knocked back into veg will still try to grow in flowering (alternate branching) mode but will become a big bush with a great many small shoots. When they get big you will need to select some shoots to leave alone and these will develop into heads. The rest you will need to prune but not all in one go, do it over a week or so to lessen stress. Also go easy on the feed, they are still quite small and wont take many heavy feeds before it builds up and you’ll get nutrient lockout, ph issues etc. Good luck :thumbsup:

5 Likes

^^^ as said , you will want to trim back to only a couple shoots but that can wait a bit.

As for revegging, plants will initially start throwing out the mutated single corkscrew type leaves until they revert back to normal growth then you will start seeing 3,5,7 bladed leaves. Once normal growth returns as mentioned above its best to trim it all back to a couple of good shoots and it will continue on as normal.

As for nutrients, treat it like you would any vegging/growing plant :wink:

5 Likes

The good bit is you get to choose how many heads you want it to have and what shape you want the plant to take. You can tie the limbs down as they grow so you get maximum light to the plant and keep it low to the ground. I’ve seen a couple of ganja giant octopuses that were mighty impressive in width and final yield :grin:

2 Likes

Okay, @Albannach @Mr.Sparkle so only one has started a 2nd shoot so far and it’s really small still. To make sure I understand correctly… I wait until these shoots start sprouting normal leaves then chop off a couple depending on what I want. Feed them very lightly veg nutes for now.

Now, what happens to the bud that was growing on the bottom?

And, with the “normal premature budding plants” that are not revegging…continue bloom feed?

2 Likes

Unless they start to produce actual buds i’d feed them all with mild strength grow nutes every second watering.

3 Likes

as you can see from pic above, they all looked like the first pic before the 5 started revegging. So they all had real buds before this

If you don’t overwater or overfeed them they will sort themselves out. The re-veg process will cause some stress so they will take time to recover and one or two might hermie on you later when they do start flowering again so keep a look out for balls when the time comes :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Now with the 7 plants that are still like pic #1… they have seemed to stop doing anything. The buds seem to be just in limbo. Nothing has changed on them for over a week. So, I just hope that they ripen and I can pull them?

I guess I should wait to transplant the revegging ones maybe after they establish some shoots and real leaves again too? The stalks have doubled in size in a week compared to the others

previous posts, ditto…and…

what do… >you< …want to do? :sunglasses:
what’s your climate/environment like? (So. Calif. vs. Mass. means adjusting your goals)

if i were making the decisions for you i’d let 5 re-veg’ers go on their own & harvest the other 5 for early smoke. the 5 budders might even start to catch up but not very likely. also remove all the bud from the 5 that are revegging because it’ll just get funky by the end of the season. just eat the bud like f’n animal if it’s not worthy of much…it’ll be a bit funky but you’ll like the effect. :wink:

you can remove a lot of material on the re-veg plants safely like 2/3…i know it’ll feel terrible but it should trigger growth response. try experimenting since you’re learning & not feeding your kids with it hehe and do 1 different change to each maybe? leave a “control” plant?

sorr if the answers aren’t all numbered but here we go…
the “singlet” leaves & 3-finger leaves etc… all show up when the plant transitions back to veg. if you’ve seen a seed sprout, the first sets of leaves are also singles. i dunno if there’s a connection or not. you’re experiencing what i was doing a few years ago… very frustrating lesson. do you know why it happened? because they went from (probably) 24hr light to something like 14/10(dark) and that’s pretty abrupt. if they had been “conditioned” by easing them a half or an hour a day to get kinda close to your natural light/dark period. read up on cannabis & light period(aka photoperiod).

i wouldn’t transplant, especially since fabric pot transplants are not gentle to the roots. you can get decent 1/2 lb. in a 15 gal. still i think. ?? OGers?

don’t bother with the nutrients for reveg now-- it looks like you’ve got a soil mix ?? i wouldn’t bother feeding the bloomers either, just water & harvest.

OGers-- notice how closely they resemble auto-flowering plants??..crazy.

Welcome to Overgrow

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

These are regs not autos right? the re-veg process usually takes a few weeks, those bud sites have to reverse and start producing veg shoots again. I’ve even given up on one after 4wks, there was not really enough of the plant left but i chanced it anyway :grin:

1 Like

There’s the thing, if it’s very hot and the plants are regularly being watered heavily they will start to run too low on nutes after a few weeks even in those big sacks. He could do a water - water - feed routine with a weak solution but yeh i’d wait till they were bigger (much) too.

2 Likes

@cannabissequoia @Albannach These are regular Blue Dreams, not Autos. I have some autos actually germinating right now. These should work out okay. lol

Yes. I am completely stupid and didn’t realize the clones needed more light than the sun provides and needed to be weened. Now I know. Learning curve. BTW… I’m never effing buying clones AGAIN. :joy:

I am in So Cal. 14 hours of daylight right now. I understand the photoperiod, and now I understand it with f**king clones too.

Basically I’m gonna leave them all the hell alone for awhile… until I can pull off some of the bottom bud and eat it like a wild animal.

4 Likes

no way, but thanks for the humility :wink:

the 70s & 80s growers took decades to figure out things the hard way, so don’t sweat it. you’re in an excellent climate, about 500mi. south of me. good chances for a good first harvest & we all wish you well here.

:evergreen_tree: <-- made the same “mistake” in 2015

3 Likes

Aww thanks! On a silly side note, my cat completely loses his mind whenever I’m in the back yard near the plants. He doesn’t touch them, but he meows and bites at me and starts dodging in and out between my legs. The smell must make him crazy! It’s hysterical!

4 Likes

Cats often seem to love weed too :laughing:
You’ll get there soon enough and you will learn more from sorting mistakes than anything else. Anyway it’s all good, your plants are regs so yeh let them do their thing. You are in a great part of the world for growing autos and there are some stunning versions of them around nowadays :thumbsup:

2 Likes

It’s late in the season, so I figured I could squeeze in the autos. Next spring I may till the whole darn back yard and grow some “large” plants instead of pots.

3 Likes

Hope you realise how lucky you are :grin:

2 Likes

Sure do! However the insane Los Angeles traffic makes me wonder if all this sunshine is worth it at times.

1 Like