Rogutopia . 2023 . The Compost Towers

The audience was questioning Mulla Nasrudin who had just spoken on big game hunting in Africa.
“Is it true,” asked one, “that wild beasts in the jungle won’t harm you if you carry a torch?”
“THAT ALL DEPENDS,” said Nasrudin “ON HOW FAST YOU CARRY IT.”

10 Likes

^ Two Auto Purple by Sensible Seeds surrounded by field vetch (nitrogen fixing), calendula, and bell pepper sprouts. Woodsorrel coming up too.

Every bell pepper comes with free seeds, very easy to take them out, cut the pepper horizontally in half and rub them out with your finger & save them up.
I have a bowl in the kitchen full of them, I put a piece of kitchenpaper in there, the fresh ones go on top and the dry ones are underneath.

After about half a year I now got a full bowl of seeds, thousands!

Might start throwing them along a roadside that doesn’t get mowed, give people some free food. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

^ Auto Purple by Sensible Seeds

^ Day 5 of flower.

I conjured a fourth pot on the window sil but couldn’t get a decent pic of the Violet Kush Auto (Garden of Green) sprout, no compost tower there, will just be topdressing and sowing beans for nitrogen in that one. Already laid down some fresh dandelion leaves and grass.

It is very well with my soul.
I love being alive.
:green_heart: :+1:

PS: the fungus gnat population has been decimated without me doing anything besides hanging a sticky trap, so long as the socks stay on top it seems to be alright. It seems to be best to fill the compost towers up with a diversity of organic matter, all in one go, water, then keep the socks on them for… … a month?
Then repeat? Could be ideal…

I watered the topsoil here and there, just a little drizzle, hmm, maybe once a week would be good, generally keeping the topsoil quite dry.

5 Likes

“Nutmeg is found to have health benefits, including its ability to relieve pain, soothe indigestion, strengthen cognitive function, detoxify the body, boost skin health, alleviate oral conditions, reduce insomnia, increase immune system function, and prevent leukemia, and improve blood circulation.”

3 Likes

Turmeric is a great antiseptic…:slightly_smiling_face::v:t3:

3 Likes

With all the males gone I’ve got two females left.
Sowed a bunch of rogue mystery seeds in the pot on the right.
And a Zamnesia Black Orchid fem in the left pot.

Four auto fems doing well in the other pots.
I appreciate them all growing well and being in good health!

It is well with my soul.

6 Likes

Ok, I’m getting rid of the compost towers due to excessive amounts of fungus gnats.

I was again underestimating how long my soil can go without watering.

Gonna stick to topdressing with grass, tree leaves, dandelion, nettles, vegetable scraps etc but not fruit.

One lives and learns.

Simplicity.

It is well with my soul.

7 Likes

Perhaps a touch of bokashi might assist in creating balance?

2 Likes

Took me a nearly a year to finally get rid of all the ones I had in my tents. Water management was key, I did nothing else…probably why it took so long :laughing:

3 Likes

Exactly, it’s all about water management!
When the topsoil is bone dry we tend to freak out, but hey, as long as the plants look happy, who cares!
These plants grow in deserts.

3 Likes

I have now one compost tower left, that is not occupied by gnats, because I stuffed it full of dry tree leaves. So I guess I’ll continue doing that!
Leaving it open, no sock.
We’ll see what happens.

3 Likes

Why not toss a sprinkle of Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis in the towers?

Yeah, I just wanted to sound all smart and shiz. :joy:
BTI

4 Likes

I’ve used something similar and it didn’t help at all, if the soil remains too wet then it doesn’t work, and compost holds water much better than soil.

So now I got rid of the last tower as well, it’s pointless when they stay dry, compost towers can be a good idea outside, but indoors it’s not so interesting.
Actually they’re not a good idea at all!

So… now it’s a matter of patience, waiting for the topsoil to really dry out and remaining disciplined when it comes to holding myself back from watering. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

LITFA

Gonna make another thread for the next update since this went south real fast and the towers are gone. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Mosquito Bits granules need moisture to work.
And you could always bottom water. :wink:

3 Likes

If it costs money then it’s not the best solution! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

And bottom watering is highly impractical with my current setup.

Onwards through the fog!

6 Likes

/thread

The adventure continues here: Rogutopia . 2023 . What A Wonderful World

3 Likes