Roots that don't grow?

Anyone else ever had a plants roots stop growing? Not rootbound, just stopped.

I started out with JOTIs Gods Timewarp, along with several other strains, indoor, under T5s. They all grew well, though the GT was a little slower going. I planted them all outside at the end of May in soil made up of Sunshine #4 /worm castings/composted cow manure/bat guano/seabird guano/blood meal/bone meal/epsom salt etc that had been dug into basically metre deep by metre wide holes in March.

All the other plants are thriving, big and bushy (up to my waist I’m 6’1") and at least as wide with plenty of bud sites as I’ve been pinching them all along and hitting them with BBP. Like I said the Gods Timewarp was healthy but lagging a bit behind the others. Wednesday it looked fine. Thursday I go out and it looks like it’s dying of thirst, leaves are all wilted. I’ve been watering them several times a week evenly and everyone else looks happy as hell. So I pour the water to it…go check it this morning and it is clearly dead. I pull it out of the ground and the root ball looks like it just came out of a beer cup. Not like a plant that’s been growing since the beginning of March and in the ground for over a month.

Any ideas on WTF caused this?

6 Likes

I had one do that to me last year, indoors. All of it’s siblings were fine… :man_shrugging:
The roots were ridiculously underdeveloped.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I actually have a broccoli plant that looks like it hasn’t been watered all year when I checked closer a little mole has been tunneling under its roots. I know it’s not a pot plant but it was the first thing that came to mind. Joti’s strains have always been very vigorous for me

8 Likes

I’ve personally never seen anything like it. Just seems weird to me.

4 Likes

Don’t see any mole signs lol. But thanks for the response. Ya, I bought JOTI because of his rep.

4 Likes

I have a few plants like Loompas headband that have the thinnest wispiest roots ever but they still extend when given the space and allowed to dry out. You say you watered twice a week, did you let the soil dry sufficiently between waterings? I like to wait until the plants just about start to droop before I water them because I have seen issues where the roots stay small and don’t grow for me if not allowed to dry out enough. I have had plants that could be watered every day and thrive but at the same time I have had other varieties that if I give them a drop or two of water they thrive but if I give them three or more drops of water :raised_hands: they get limp and just about keel over. Seriously. I ditch those plants that can’t take the moisture out of personal preference but I always think twice and give them a WTF?!?!? :sweat_smile: You might want to cut into the stem and see if there is any rot inside the plant that might have impeded its health?

5 Likes

I have a buddy who works at a commercial grow house who cut down a plant that was stunted and it was rotten on the inside

9 Likes

Sounds like root bound or roots got overheated and roasted, were u doing any mulch layers or anything to keep the roots cool? After 95 Degrees in the root zone things are done

6 Likes

I’m up on a hill with sandy soil, so it drains quickly. We haven’t had hardly any rain for 3 weeks, plus the other plants are all rockin it!
I will go out and cut the stem open though…thanks.

2 Likes

None of them were root bound when I planted…I’m in Canada and we haven’t really had a heat wave yet. And yes, theres mulch.

3 Likes

I got this nice plant indoor, growing very poorly, when I removed the plant the roots were smaller than my hand palm. Not enough light for me…

1 Like

Sounds like a classic case of fusarium mate, we had part of our field drop dead in Morocco with those exact same symptoms

5 Likes

Some plants have more Roots than others I think. Right now I have a granddaddy purple in a mini octopod and I have a Frankenstein in a mini octopod. Frankenstein is twice the size of the granddaddy and yet has one third of the roots in the reservoir. Both are the same age. Both are healthy as can be. Thought it was really interesting that Frankenstein didn’t have nearly as much root mass in the reservoir as the Granddaddy Purple did

3 Likes

I can understand that…but this plant died.

1 Like

Bahahaha, stunted. You clearly haven’t seen one of my autos. He must have used the Husqvarna Rancher 460 to cut that one down.

2 Likes

LOL. This plant was a mother that the team noticed wasn’t kicking out clones like it had been previously so they decided to kill her. When they saw what was inside they had a major oh-oh moment wondering if others were infected too :raised_hands: You can see in the pic that dudes hand has a dent from squeezing the clippers so hard :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I had one blueberry do that. I tried everything I could think of but it never grew more roots. The leaf tips died but the plant never died, I ended up pulling it. Never got bigger then about 2"

1 Like