Running out of room ...

Despite this crazy pandemic, I’ve still been traveling quite a bit for work. After being out of town most of July, I came home to find that I’m running out of room in my greenhouse. I have pre-flowers on most of the plants but none are actively flowering yet. My question, other than hurting my yield which I’m not concerned about, will I do any harm by trimming my hedges so close to flowering?

14 Likes

Nice looking plant(s). What kind of tomatoes are you growing there?

I’m not an outdoor grower, but I trim my plants while they are clearly flowering. Mostly just removing the lowest and innermost growth that will get the least amount of light. I’m guessing you want to trim up a lot more than that, but I don’t think you’ll be creating any problems at this stage.

By the way, has that plant been getting enough food and water while you were traveling?

5 Likes

You’ll be fine. You will definitely want to open them up…I would

4 Likes

My wife has been wonderful in giving it water … but they need watering now and I’ll be tending to that in the morning. As for nutrients, they are in an organic mix in the ground and as of the last time I checked, the plants didn’t seem to be in need of nutrients. I do have dry salts to mix up into a nutrient solution if needed. I’ll be looking over things much more carefully in the morning.

This is my very first ever outdoor/greenhouse grow. I recently completed my first indoor grow in just about 30 yrs. I harvested ten 1/2 gallon mason jars of dry bud from 11 plants grown indoors. I’m not complaining at all, but at this point, I’ve got more bud than I know what to do with (legally) with the potential for much much more from my greenhouse this fall.

So yes, you’re right … I would like to do quite a bit more cutting than just the lower branches.

5 Likes

The tomatoes are my wife’s work. She started beef-steak tomatoes and cherry tomatoes from seeds back in April. Even the tomatoes are growing well beyond expectations.

3 Likes

As long as you dont cut more than 1/3 of the plant matter at one time, they shouldn’t skip a beat. :+1::seedling:

10 Likes

What @ReikoX said 100%

7 Likes

You can never have too much thats what vacuum seal bags and a deep freeze is for surplus for a rainy season or bud rot drought.

5 Likes

For how long and how well does deep freeaing preserve them? Do you freeze them at regular rh 62% in the jars?

3 Likes

I prefer 62/65 % with a 4 day cure in tubs then into ziplock bags and vacuum seal freeze .Good for quite a while in storage ,when wanting to smoke I’ll jar or vacuum jar storage with 62%humidity packs it can be smoked right from the freezer I prefer a week or longer cure in the jar .

5 Likes

I do have a deep freeze, but I also have a 17 yr old stepson in the house. He is a good kid with a bright future … but I’m not sure my wife would want it within reach because the deep freeze is in his “cave” in the basement. He’s already demonstrated a liking for cannabis and although I don’t have strong feelings about it beyond the fact he’s not of legal age, my wife insists he be 21. I agree with her and support her decision. It’s off limits until he’s legally able to enjoy it.

6 Likes

hahaha…yes, because a 17 year old would only take what’s sitting in the freezer and it would never occur to him to cut it from the plant and dry it out.

And that same 17 year old would never be able to find where you’ve hidden 10 huge mason jars filled with dry bud - or even the small amount that you might keep handy for daily consumption.

@MichiganGrampa, I don’t know how old you are, but don’t you remember being 17? I mean, NOTHING was hidden well enough in my home that I couldn’t find it. And if you grew 11 indoor plants and are growing some large outdoor plants, he already knows that there’s weed in the house…and if he can find it - IT’S FREE!!

9 Likes

6 Likes

I hear you loud and clear! It’s all under lock and key. It’s been that way since he found his mom’s edibles and some of my flowers last year.

Indoor grow area - behind a locked door
Greenhouse - Locked

I realize this doesn’t guarantee that he doesn’t find a way because at 17 I would be looking at all angles for a point of entry … but being that everything is locked up, it becomes obvious when he gets caught. I own the car he drives …

9 Likes

Know what your going through my youngest back 25 years or more and his buddies were dipping into my stash and depleted my supply at 15 years old they ended up smoking several ounces before I noticed .

3 Likes

He was 16 when he found our stuff. For a moment I thought I was going crazy, then he got caught at school. He’s always been an honor roll student and 3 sport athlete so being suspended for 2 weeks and kicked off the track team made a major impression.

Today, at 17, he’s a high school graduate working a summer job and will be starting college in the fall. He’s a good kid … just not a perfect kid. You know what I mean.

6 Likes

Well, I completely get that you must respect your wife’s wishes.

My thinking, with my son, is that if he really gets curious at 17, I would rather share some of my homegrown, organic buds, than have him go to the alternative.

If he is anything like me and rather resourceful, he will find it if he wants it. If not there are often more accessible options (alcohol). I would rather have him smoking any day.

At 13 he has a friend whose dad grows. He asked if he could smoke with him. We told him we would rather have him wait until his brain is more developed. Thanks God he can talk to us. I know this is not a typical result.

Kids are tough man, good luck. My deep freeze is rather secure however, I will pm you with my address, and I will store it for you. I can just mail you a bag when you’re in need. :wink:

On a serious note, any friends or family you can trust for storage?

5 Likes

I already told my wife that once he turns 21 and is legal, it’s his choice. We don’t have much control in that and we must respect his choices. She sighed … and then agreed.

The part that surprised me is she also told her son what I said.

4 Likes

My son always asks, how old do I have to be to…

… You can do that once you’re 40 son!! :joy:

5 Likes

I started smoking at 15. Mom n dad were educators lol terrible kid. I’m more laissez faire and I knew my kids were smoking. And stealing from my stash. They were adapt at locating my many attempts at hiding…with a gun safe they were screwed. I love smoking with my boys…both are over 21 and I feel grateful that I can share with them now.
Oh yea beautiful plants my friend!!!

6 Likes