SCROG growing method

Hi guys, I hope I’m not redoing someones thread, but I’m intrigued to know more about the SCreen Of Green growing method.
I’ve read how to and why but would like to know if its worth the extra work, and if anyone does it.

6 Likes

I have only done it one time, I did it because I grew in a closet long ago with a VERY cheap blurple eBay 300w led lol. It works good when you have lights with next to no penetration and a small space. I got 4 ounces off 1 plant but it was a HUGE pain in the ass to harvest. That was the one and only time I used a closet, a Scrog, and that light.

2 Likes

I would say yes, it helps spread and even things out to get optimal light to branches giving more big colas instead of one big one and more small ones on the sides. You can achieve the same with tying but I think it is a good technique especially if you are limited to small numbers it gives an even canopy giving you more efficient light use. I do agree with Kushking that it can make harvest a pain and you are locked in. I am thinking about building individual screen carriers for each plant to make it easier to manage.

3 Likes

I have actually seen those individual plant screens that hook on the pot. It would definitely make a world of difference when it came to care and maintenance

2 Likes

If you only have a small tent you kinda want to fill it up with as much smoke as you can, right? Getting that flat even canopy let’s you utilize the space to it’s full potential.

I like just low stress training and maybe a topping here and there early on and letting them do their thing. I’m lazy though, and I have a little more room than some.

When I started growing in tents and closets I would rock the screen. Now I’m more a fan of the sea of green.

I just wanted to add with the newer qb lights that you can get closer to the plant without burning em, guys are getting some really nice nuggets. I say try both and see what you like best. Maybe with the screen first. Unless you can do it side by side. I’ve seen people do big ass screens outside! Dude crawled under his canopy on his back! It was like 20x30 feet!

5 Likes

Thanks guys you’ve all just about confirmed my thoughts, I do top and LST but trying to get that flat even canopy is difficult as you know, but I’m sure those claims of high yields by the seed banks is when Scrog is applied.
I use a 4’x4’ tent and a good QB LED light and grow four plants at a time, maybe a fifth plant would be better?

3 Likes

I have been reading @ReikoX grow diary over 1K post. He shows how, why and it looks like it is .

4 Likes

Sorry GrowingInThePines theres no pics or link😕

1 Like

Have you heard of quad-lining? It’s a nice way to train plants if your not wanting to make a screen.

1 Like

I think this is a link to the thread-

Here’s another link to his newer grow diary…

3 Likes

Sorry I am new
I see @vaportrail did the work to find the information for you

Thanks for the info mate, I’m new here too, I dont know how to put a pic to my name yet lol.

Bad pic but this is scrog

5 Likes

I read up on it, HST like mainlining, very interesting, its plucking up the courage to top and prune so aggressively but I’ll get there.
It seems a lot of work using a SCROG net especially watering.

Thanks parkerspurps, are those your purple flowers? they look so even :+1:

1 Like

Never done it, probably won’t anytime soon either, gonna try the manifold/mailing method next time though to increase yield and decrease height my girls got stoopid tall.

1 Like

@EugeneDebs420 I think you’re right, have you softened and bent over taller branches after the stretch?

Nope, no training this time. Just let em grow.

Scrog seems like it makes inspecting the plants, res changes/top-ups, defoliation really difficult. Manageable if you got one or two plants in a small space but to much trouble with a room full of plants.

That was what I was thinking about, access to the plants in the middle of the scrog net.