Seed Banks - Who can we trust?

The larger problem is when someone posts an image that contains personally identifiable information. Or, there is something else in the image that could be easily linked to an individual transaction, person, contents, or location. We’ve seen those mistakes occur here from time to time. And, the poster doesn’t notice it until someone calls it out.

Best bet is to play it safe by purposefully not revealing the outer packaging in an image to avoid the “inadvertent” leaking of information or the missing of clues (e.g. tracking numbers, etc).

10 Likes

Ok so I’ve been trying to go through this thread ISO reliable, reasonably priced US seed banks. I keep losing my place… you can’t search for just “us”… I’m trying to find a good source for auto flowers, preferably regular and not fem (I’d prefer to be able to make a regular seed run as well as maybe do my own crosses eventually). Ive already found FDM and Great Lakes through this thread which have some nice photo strains I’m interested in, not to mention the man BOG himself here. But I haven’t found many autos I’m interested in. Help a stoner out please.

5 Likes

The only commercial breeder I considered getting auto from was memphsito. But mr sparkles and ReikoX hold down the autos around here

6 Likes

Just checked out mephisto. Really nice stuff but pricey and all fem. Definitely something to come back to in the future when I’m established and decide to play around with CS. Right now I’m just trying to do a run or two before we move, once I get my box set up in a few months.

Edit: If it wasn’t clear, I do plan on hopefully making my own stock of seeds off of these. Don’t want to constantly re-buy seeds if I like the genetics, and freebies for OGers if I dont.

1 Like

Not sure you are in Michigan or what they do about out of state…but

Seed Cellar is close to Jackson. They carry as large an inventory as anyone I’ve seen and all the feedback I’ve seen was good. OTOH tho I can use them I have not visited or ordered myself.

1 Like

Thanks Olbrannon, but unfortunately they wont sell to prohibition states, and I’m in one :frowning:

I got my seeds from Sannies Shop today. Paid with bitcoin.

:vulcan:

4 Likes

I would like everyone to take a moment and read this post made by Breeder Steve please so you can have an idea of just how much scamming goes on in the seed industry. Dj Shorts son JD also came on Rollitup a few years back saying pretty much the exact same thing.

ok the instagram is not linking properly so I directly quoted what he said in his post.

“breedersteve’s profile picture
breedersteve
I used to take pride in releasing original seeds. It’s certainly more interesting and satisfying than just making knockoffs, but it is a lot more effort and expense. There was never a knockoff on my catalogue. I gave up on breeding cannabis when there wasn’t a single seed reseller left that wasn’t selling knockoffs or straight up counterfeiting #spiceoflifeseeds packs. You can imagine how I felt when growers ordered SOLS and received fakes. No vale la pena. It was no longer worth the trouble. So while I’m working to develop new original lines, which can’t be knocked off, I’m also extremely tempted to make knockoffs of every catalogue that’s been stepping on the good names of my babies. After all, NONE of the seed resellers give a fuck about selling originals vs. ripoffs of them, why should I? I can saturate the market directly.
:arrow_forward::arrow_forward::arrow_forward:List any beans that you’d like to see me knockoff CHEAP. I will endeavor to get all of the genetics back on the market at under $20 per pack retail, preferably $5-$10 per pack retail. If you send me the packs you’d like to see done, I’ll return an exponential amount of reworked beans to you within a year. Who knows? They may even surpass the quality of the originals.
Gotta think of a suitable moniker for the generics line up.
resinrascal
toughnuts
fakeandbake
bleederofbreeders
seedvault
beanblaster
karmaking
bogusbeans
??? Suggestions welcome. I have to have some fun with this. Payback is a bitch, but should also be a pleasure. I know my secret shoppers in San Diego are looking forward to their task. ¡Muchas gracias, hombres!
This will give a lot of dirtbags #atasteoftheirownmedicine, so to speak.
Ripping me off has never been a great long-term strategy, to say the least!”"

And I know some people with respond with stuff like “I bought from Canuk my canuk seeds grew some dank!” and while that may be true, that’s not the point. It’s about authenticity. Would you feel ok paying $300 for a pair of counterfeit Jordans under the reasoning that they fit your feet nicely and function just as any other pair of shoes do? I would hope not.

Or worse would you feel ok paying AKC registered pure breed prices on your brand puppy only to come home and find out it’s a mutt?

These 2 examples are exactly what’s happening A TON in the seed industry.

Do your research and vote with your dollar my friends! :vulcan:

10 Likes

Solid heads up pf… These vultures are lower than dirt. Worse than used car sales people they are. At least used car sales people aren’t trying to tell you they built the product they’re trying to jamb up your wazoo… This cartel crap going on in Canada isn’t doing a thing to help the situation either.

3 Likes

This is sure a lengthy thread. I scanned through it looking for Gyo Seedbank.

Anyone have any experience with them before I send off hundreds of FRN’s?

I;m looking specifically for 3 varieties:
Ace seeds - Zamaldelica
Greenhouse seeds - Arjan’s Haze 3
Cannabiogen Seeds - Destroyer

The prob with Michigan seedbanks is none of them carry any of the above and usually carry varieties I’ve never heard of before.

3 Likes

Mate, I just received my fifth unmolested order from Seed City and it was about 10 different varieties. I cannot reccomend these guys enough. The stealth shipping is first rate IMHO, and I say that because our customs guys are way over the top here. I have NEVER got a shipment (even their so called “stealthy” option from Herbies) to arrive for instance. All seeds are labelled with a bright green label and sealed in .25ml plastic vials, they then put them in a opaque black clip seal bag and roll it up and tape it. Then they get a small box of lego, somehow they open both box AND the plastic bag inside without any sign that has been opened, they put the wrapped seeds into the plastic bag containing all the lego bits and then they seal both the plastic bag and the lego box so it looks exactly like you had just bought it at a store. They fill in the customs declaration as a “toy” and ship it unsigned. So the only downside to this is if they DO get picked up, you have lost them. That said, I have never even had a single package even opened for inspection.

I just got some purple peyote from Canabiogen, I’ll be real interested to know how you go with the Destroyer, it’s been on my list fro a while.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply and tip, slain.
Recently got an order from pure altitude seeds here in Detroit, soaked 5 White Widow and 5 Afghani Gold from their Michigan breeder section and only 1 AG popped, all gnarly looking too.
So I’m not holding much hope for the other 3 5packs( Shiva Shanti, Northern Lights and Super Silver Haze I bought, BUT they did send 12 reg Blue Diamond Philips to ease the pain.

3 Likes

Yeah that is total crap. I hate that. I have had some similar experiences with other seed vendors, In a fit of insanity I stupidly spent good money on some Cali Connection seeds from Attitude only to find one germinate from the entire pack and that ended up being a really shitty pheno. The one thing I will also say about Seed City is I have had nearly 100% germination rates, other than a few issues with some Crocket Familly Farms seeds of different varieties . When I let them know that germ rates were very average, they aplogized profusley and shipped me a selection of free seeds with my next order so I really can’t complain about that.

4 Likes

Haha this thread really got me going.

I want to show you all another example of fuckery that goes on in the industry. Fake names and renaming/copying names of strains to cash in on hype << This seems to be very common practice in the EU and Dutch scene. People are going to be like “paintedfire you’re crazy! This is a well respected Seed Co!”. No, it’s not. They are thieves and liars in my eyes simply preying on the people who don’t know any better. It’s no different than selling someone a mutt labelled as a pure breed or straight up lying about the parent breeds. Or even apples. Imagine you order granny smith apples because you love that sour but you get golden delicious because they kind of look alike a tiny bit because they aren’t red and that’s close enough in the sellers mind. Imagine you have a fetish for Chinese girls and you meet this girl on some dating app, she tells you she’s Chinese but you get there and she’s anything but Chinese. Mexican or possibly Inuit at best. You would be pissed! You catch my drift? This is the exact same thing that’s happening here. I’ll show you how and why.

So first thing’s first. We need to distinguish the difference between a strain and a clone. Most of you already know but some people don’t. Clones and strains are very different. A strain can have many different expressions from seed but a clone is just that, a clone. It’s a genetic copy. We can use human siblings for an example. You are the same strain as your siblings, you share the same parents and genepool and you may even share some similar qualities both physically and personality wise but in the end you are your own unique individuals and you are definitely not the same person. Cannabis is the same both in physical expression and cannabinoid profiles. Unless coming from a heavily inbred line where they were bred for homogeny every plant is different but may share similar qualities to varying degrees. And let’s face it, the market is dominated by polyhybrids and noone gives a flying fuck about homogeny anymore. It’s all about HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! All that matters is instagram pictures, frost and cool names that sound tasty.

Right now I’m putting Barney’s Farm on blast. They are scumbags. Some people may think I’m being a little harsh but I just call it the way I see it. As I said before they prey on unknowing customers. Not cool. Is this going to damage their company at all? Nope… there will be millions and millions of unsuspecting new customers that will be preyed upon in the coming decades with legalization looming all over the world but hopefully I can save one or two of you from supporting this type of con artist company. I don’t know about y’all but I am not fond of supporting ripoff artists. There are many many more too, it’s not just Barney’s Farm.

So let’s get to the genetics and the name behind the genetics. I want to set aside all of the cookie fam funny business because that’s all besides the point… but what is Gelato? Gelato is claimed to be Sunset Sherbert x GSC Thin Mint. Legend has it they popped a number of beans and labelled them by number. #25, #33, #41 were chosen as the best 3 and coveted. These are now considered clone only “strains”. They are unique individual specimens that have acquired their own name for being considered elites and standing out above the rest. Just like GSC, OG kush, Sour Diesel, Chem 4, Chem 91, Bubba Kush, Harlequin, etc.

Now lets have a look at Barney’s Farm Blue Gelato 41. I stumbled upon this gem a while back when doing window shopping and it’s really the perfect example. What is Blue Gelato 41? Blue Gelato 41 is Blueberry x Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies according to Barney’s Farm. Why did they put the number 41 on there? If you notice, the clone only named Gelato 41 is not even one of the parents of this strain. Nevermind the word Gelato in the name that 41 is extremely deceptive, leading to the impression that this strain has anything to do with Gelato 41. At best they share a parent Thin Mint GSC but who knows if they even have a legit cut of that. Judging by the photos and they deceptive name, I would guess not. The pictures bear no resemblance to cookies or gelato. I’d even place a bet on it. So simply they are just scamming anyone who has ever smoked Gelato 41 or heard it in a rap song and wanted to grow some for themselves. It’s really a damn shame.

BARNEY’S FARM EXPOSED!

You’ve been warned. Can you get good some good frosty weed from their seeds? Sure probably but if that’s all that matters to you then you are part of the problem. Just know you are supporting a company that survives off conning people.

TL; DR Barney’s Farm, among many many other companies are scammers and liars and you should not buy their seeds unless you enjoy supporting the finances of con artists.

:vulcan:

8 Likes

Now I sit here and pray that this forum is not sponsored by Barney’s and I’m 4.20 seconds from being banned. :joy:

6 Likes

Lol…I ran LSD fem from them once. Beautiful plant, grew nicely. Fluffy featherweight buds and lame ass smoke, all 4 phenos.

That said, to be fair I’ve had some dank from them that friends have grown and have read good reviews of alot of their stuff. Seems like maybe they’re chucking and it’s hit or miss.

I’m looking forward to trying your ‘amateur’ genetics that will probably be better than 90% of the commercial seeds out there!

5 Likes

Your rant paints the entire industry with the broad brush.
Surely you know of some good co.s?

3 Likes

@beacher Yeah I don’t doubt that you can get some good stuff from them, there are tons of good genetics out there regardless of the name. And I haven’t really looked into any of their other strains so I can’t say about their entire menu but once a scammer always a potential scammer in my eyes. The false names really strikes a nerve with me. I can’t trust a company like that and they will never see a penny of mine.

@spaceman pretty much haha. There are lots of good ones out there but if I had to take a guess I’d say more bad than good. We all have to be diligent in our research.

I can’t stress how much WE NEED TO DO OUR RESEARCH! I’m just a guy in the Canadian prairies growing solo in his basement far removed from any kind of local weed scene so I had to put a ton of time into researching this stuff. One of my first seed purchases I was scammed on some fake TGA fems only to come home and learn that subcool never made fems at that point(I think still to this day even). Maybe it was a blessing in disguise. It turned me into a seed junky weednerd strainhunter of sorts lol. I had to do this because I’ve never known any other growers or breeders or anything like that outside of the internet. With prohibition and a mostly unregulated market all we can really do is our diligence in research and vote with our dollar.

10 Likes

Mate without exception EVERY BF strain I have grown has been all over the shop from one seed to the next. I don’t know how the F it is even possible with presumably inbred fems to end up with so much variation, all I guess is that there is virtually no stabilising going on before they go to market.

6 Likes

Don’t think they would be the only one. I have a cuz that’s growing seeds for an online seller and to my knowledge there is no stabilizing going in at all.

6 Likes