Seed Banks - Who can we trust?

It’s a wild world out there. Bang some random shit together. Grow 11 billion plants to find a mom. Mom fucks some random dude on the street, then fucks her son, then fucks her grandson.

What happened to the old days where it was just brothers and sisters having a go at it, generation after generation? Damn MILLENNIALS. :joy:

10 Likes

That’s what what we’re doing here. @slain gave me the benefit of his experience and unless someone here can vouch for Gyo Seedbank in the next day or so, SC is gonna see some of my money.
The varieties I seek, I’ve read about for years, lotsa positive reviews too.

Destroyer for its habit and smoke reports.
Arjan’s Haze #3 for its beneficial effect on MS patients, low odor and adaptability to indoor growing.
And Zamaldelica for the trip.

But damn! There are a shiit ton of seedbanks out there!
Some of them for sure have integrity and a good business model and not only want to stay in business but grow as well.

5 Likes

Yeah but the thing I really don’t get is, even when I fem and backcross one generation I get more consistency than anything I have seen from BF! It’s almost like you would have to be pollen chucking and not even selecting like phenos to backcross over, just germ and grow out a thousand randoms of any old shit and make a bazillion seeds from it.

4 Likes

When seeds are worth than the dankest bud on a pound per pound basis for what you can grow per plant then temptation will win peeps in it just for the money.
I am still on the side of pride and there are still good ones out there for sure. Doing your homework is just all part of due diligence.

6 Likes

It’s what happens when you don’t use stable parents. If you’re not crossing two landraces or have inbred enough to stabilize your parents, then smashing together some polys is always going to give you crazy results. Take it out a few generations, when nobody has stabilized anything at ANY point… and you get the picture. That’s just the way clone-based breeding goes man. BXing might stabilize the phenos to the mother, but it won’t do shit to it’s stability for outcrosses.

Line breeding just has way more value to the overall genetics pool… it’s more work, and you won’t be cranking out 30 “strains” per year.

But in the end…

11 Likes

Yeah so what this would typically involve at least 8 generations of selection? Yeah, not in today’s commercial seed breeding scene. I figure places like BF are getting a clone, sefling it, growign out a bunch those in a space and selfing one or two among them the produce the seeds they are then giving some name a selling. Is that about the size of it?

For anyone is interested in the seed breeding terminology and/or methods, this website is a good point of reference.
http://theagricos.com/plant-breeding/

3 Likes

That was very funny…I believe your safe…

4 Likes

It sucks that people putting in that kind of work don’t get any recognition or extra reward for their efforts. The community doesn’t value it and it shows in the pricing and demand. Even further their efforts are hardly recognized by the community at large.

and I have nothing against people with massive menus. Bodhi is one of my favorite breeders and he has an insane menu but he also has an army of testers and he does do some cool breeding projects mixed in there as well. I don’t see that as a huge problem personally, there are far worse things happening in the seed industry. Like Bomb Seeds selling bagseeds essentially. :joy: I’ll save that one for another day.

4 Likes

Great selections! I would love to see how those all turn out!

3 Likes

I don’t really believe in attaching good or bad to anything. The kind of breeders that exist today have a place and an audience. People should spend their money the way they want.

I like bodhi’s work because he usually uses fairly stable parents, and pulls in interesting heirlooms and landraces. I’m line breeding one of his strains, because I love making outcrosses with it. Once I have a stabilized version of it, I’ll have lots of fun. :blush:

12 Likes

Buying off some of these “seed banks” can be worst case Ontario. But you need to remember. What goes around is all around

2 Likes

I’ve used GYO in the past. The prices are ridiculously high and even though they are based in Scotland my order took around 5 days to process then a further 10 days to arrive. I’m North East UK so not that far away from them so I give them a 0 for efficiency. All seeds I’ve had were viable so I can’t deny the seeds were fresh and well stored. The freebie offers are “meh” The shipping ridiculously high considering the short distance they travelled. The stealth packaging was not needed or required as UK you can buy seeds legally as keep sakes
My advice is to look elsewhere if your in any kind of hurry to receive your seeds. :+1:

5 Likes

@Esrgood4u
Thank you for your Input!
I can’t offer much in the way of seedbank experience, just my dealings with pure altitude.
A few years ago they had a table at a 420 event in Detroit, great selection, all the seeds I bought popped = happy me.
The only problem is, I didn’t know what I wanted back then.
While they have a extensive online seedlist they are definitely moving away from some breeders, Ace in particular.

And our local “breeders” all seem focused on couchlock, “medicinal” types.:sleeping_accommodation:
I wanna FLY! :rocket:

3 Likes

The never ending saga of How The World Burns.

2 Likes

legendary strains, got the Royal Kush 9 myself!!!

3 Likes

Check out holidayexotics.com, alot of hard to find breeders here in spain… will often deliver in person for bcn based customers… and freebies you often get is to die for :smile: customer service is impeccable aswell, resent with tracking when mates pack was lost in post. Even he only ordered 2 packs, he ended up with 4 packs from said breeder and 2 x 5pack freebie packs from obsoul33t… which in my eyes is worth more then the order itself :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

33 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s Your Beef?

update on True North!!! After informing them I was calling Visa, a few days later I got an email saying this!

We will be issuing you a full refund as soon as possible.

Hopefully I will get it - unfortunately my card had to be cancelled for the bogus charges that appeared on there and now I’ve got to call several merchants to give them the new account number

6 Likes

Can’t find that site

There’s just always been something about SLH that I have loved… I’m a lemon lover and a sativa psycho lol

3 Likes