Seed Run Co-Op Bodhi F2 Snow Lotus B

have you thought bout how your gonna pick parents to f2? aint as simple as jamming them all together coz its a bx…

just sayin keep in mind your working the line so pick a sensible direction w/ phenos used for f2…

be cool to pick blockhead leaners, not st or qm leaners

5 Likes

Agreed, some killer blockhead leaners would be great.

4 Likes

I was not planning on doing an open polination. I was going to pick 2 males and 2 females, one that is a good representation of each parent. Then take both males to each individual female. End up with a little consitency and 2 different directions to continue working with.

7 Likes

:joy: I thought this was a joke about incestous, dirty hippies & their mutant offspring! :laughing: :poop: :peace: :baby:

:wave:

:evergreen_tree: high! everybody

7 Likes

I enjoyed the interview with Breeder Steve very much. I have coresponded with him for years. First on Twitter a few years ago and on OG occasionally. It was Kool to hear his voice and learn more of his brilliance and personality. Lots of stories about “back in the day”. Good shit amigo! Thank you for that. Much love and respect
:cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

What did you call me? @cannabissequoia

6 Likes

Hey I’m not a snitch buuuuuuuuut…i did hear something about dirty hippies… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

ok sounds good…but how do you know whats a good representation of each parent ? and sincee its a bx, do u go for nepali og leaners or dirty hippy ?

im curious…whats your rubric…aka…whats your yardstick to measure ? … ever picked males before ? fun stuff

6 Likes

And their mutant offsprings! Hahahahaha! Excellent.

4 Likes

This where I begin to get lost… I’m way late to the game and learn every time somebody explains breeding in the real world.

Hi @Guest, can you recommend a good source of reference for understanding breeding cannabis better? As in easy to understand to the point I know when I need more detailed info to go further? lol

I’m a loooong time smoker and occasional grower, but only a few years ago moved to a legal growing state.

I communicate with lots of other growers and a few breeders and I’d love to be certain of what I do in the future with all of the seeds I’ve been gifted and bought.

I have a couple of discontinued strains that I really want to f2 and want to study this as best I can.

I understand your point above, but in hindsight, what can you do to insure you can accomplish what you’re asking?

When it comes to a complicated matter such as this, it seems short of growing the plant numerous times and understanding each pheno personally, it’s gonna be hard to get it right. Is there another approach to get you as close as possible without that past knowledge from first hand experience?

I know I can’t substitute a lifetime of growing and knowing, and all of the trial and error, failures and successes that goes into breeding, but is there a way I can still get there with any confidence?

Lots of questions that I think I may already know the answer to, but I’m just looking for practical advice to do the best I can with what I have and know when to not call something one thing when in reality it can’t really be without further knowledge…

If I don’t make much sense, smoke a lot and then try again… that’s what I’m doing… heh. Maybe it makes sense. I just want to do the best I can short of years of experience with a certain strain.

I know I can’t be a breeder without the experience, but I want to be a good steward with what I’ve been given and not claim it’s something I have no business doing so…

Damn, i must be high… I better stop…

Thanks for the learning moment, really! I’m a curious one and pot makes that stronger. heh.

peace

10 Likes

nah, dude. that’s why we’re all here too. :smile: :sparkles:

@oleskool830 the Steve show was great! I had no idea Switzerland was so wide open 20 yrs ago, and his Colombian adventure/project sounds awesome. I can’t wait to see who all get’s their 100 beans to him.

Also got me wondering how to sneak some of @shroomgod’s feminized Sweettooth going asaFp. heh :wave:

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

@cannabissequoia. I’ve got some Blockhead and Shishkaberry beans from when he was in Switzerland. I also had some sweet tooth but they are gone due to several failed attempts at poppin’ them. I can’t seem to pop these old beans. If you would like a shot at them, I’ll send them to you.

6 Likes

@ReikoX may have some answers to popping old gems

5 Likes

I have selected males for some personal projects in the past. Never had to do the grow it several times and stress it every different way you can to find the strongest, most Alpha Male out there. Since it was for personal projects I really didnt give 2 shits if it was the best or not, because I could pop a ton and find what Im looking for, ratio didnt matter.
I only have 12 Snow Lotus BX to play with, and hopefully get 6 and 6.

I have been playing around with I95 x Stardawg, and have taken it to F4. Just been doing simple selections each round from about 50. The results have been great so far.

They are all smell like lime and gas, and all look like they are going to be a pain in the ass to trim.

I typically look for beefy nodes and symetrical growth in both male and females. I have tended to toss the outliers from both sexes, for fear of an overly dominant trait. After that, does it smell good? Is it pretty? All the things I look for in a female basically.

With these I found way more information about it under the name Goohead than both Snow Lotus BX or dirty hippy. I grew out a pack of Goji a couple of summers ago, sadly lost my clones. And I have grown a few Afgooey crosses in the past and am framiliar with it. Blockhead on the other hand, no first hand experience. Just reading what they have posted on Hempdepot from beanhoarder.

The previous photos were all taken after just transplanting into quart containers from their starter 3x3. They all seem to be enjoying the deeper pots now.

26 Likes

@GMan brother im here to ask and learn 2,but i can try to help…

1st u throw out most of mendelian botany… its not wrong but its applied inaccurately to weed…when u hear ppl talking about punnett squares n cubing… assume theyre trying to act smart or makin stuff up n have nfc… most of the old strats 4 weed breeding r wrong…

start w/ kevin jodrey recent panels + interviews, bodhis pot casts, and @Sebrings thread re: cannabis breeding not being consistent with botanical or agricultural definitions… Cannabis crosses are not F1s, so says science! —then just start doing it urself bc weed breeding isnt science,its art and preference and observation…

w/ f2 its simple - u only choose open pollination or selecting the parents…no hindsight…its easy my friend… most of us dont know the parents of packs we buy,u can read abt them but thats it… so use all males + females to open up the gene pool…or select only 1 of each if trying to go a specific direction…youll be surprised when u grow em out-----in a good way !!!

12 Likes

Hey buddy, I’m in agreement with guest on open pollination F2 (in the world of poly poly poly hybrids, maybe Gen2Poly would be better and a lil more accurate) for preservation purposes… It depends on what your personal end goal is I suppose and how far you really want to work a line to get what you want (usually boredom, or being tired of the weed you’re growing stops most of us home guys in the F4 ranges)

7 Likes

I hear you! I had an idea the guest might be a certain person. I’ll be asking everybody when I get closer to making some f2s out of some limited beans I have. When you only have 5 seeds to start with you have no choice at that point but to do an open pollination, right… The correct pheno should show back up in the future beans, right? It would just be a matter of finding it again and then making another rounds of seeds…?

Breeding is still pretty confusing to me, but I’ll keep trying to understand best as I can. I’m just in all of this for fun anyway. Everything I make will be for myself and friends for now and probably forever.

But, I do want to understand it all better so at some point I could do a serious selection and breeding project and get results. I admire anyone who is deep in it. Still confuses the feck out of me…

I was also smoking my most potent bud last night… blush…

peace

7 Likes

OOOps, just read all the other posts… Thank you all. Seems like a consensus and I agree with all of the above. I’m definitely in it for the art, craft, and fun. I’ll just keep on reading and learning… and growing!! I’m rarely not happy when I’m growing a plant!

@Grow Hard, very nice bud, bro. It’s beautiful. thanks!

peace

7 Likes

Well put @guest! I appreciate your Grow philosophy
Much love and respect…
:pray:

4 Likes

Excellent Thread. I’m putting it where it belongs…

oleskool’s Big Red Book of Aquired Knowledge.

6 Likes