Seed Run Co-Op Herijuana - Done and Dusted [CLOSED]

I didn’t know-- “my bad”. :disappointed_relieved:

:v: :upside_down:

Not too bad for a first attempt at this, IMO.

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

It depends on what you mean by “pain” :wink: :joy: :laughing:

One person’s pleasure is another’s nightmare

From the get-go I assumed this was a Jackson Pollock throw-shit-against-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks project…allowing randomness to have a vote/influence. :sparkles: :sparkler: :fireworks:

Are we already dividing into tribes & camps?! Oh no! :astonished: :scream:

:wink:

2 Likes

I will be making F2’s and will be releasing them with Bodhi’s blessing starting next week for those of you that love this strain. [I do as well and hold the original butter cut from B] I’ll also be running the breeding in a thread for those that want to follow along.

18 Likes

I apologize in advance for this long-shot of a request…

…can the Mahatma Bodhi be contacted about the Chem91/TalkOfKabul availability…?

:kiss: :confounded:

heh

3 Likes

If something actually happened in this regard, it would be the mother of all twists in this crazy little project lol.

Bodhi seems to be on Instagram, but he says he doesn’t respond to DMs on there.

4 Likes

I’m at work so I don’t have much time to go back and reread the whole post to see if there is a specifically defined goal for this project.

Is this just a one run pollen chucking seed grab to disperse seeds to the forum?

Or is there an intention to evolve into an OG Collective Breeding Project?

Im down either way, I just want to know how things are going to proceed.

4 Likes

The intention is a one off crowdsourced seedrun that will provide seeds to whoever wants them (as long as we have enough). If those seeds get into the hands of someone that wants to cross or stabilize them further (I hope they will), they will have our full blessing (and encouragement) to do so.

5 Likes

Hell yeah give them a shout! Ha!and good luck! I was just thinking, damn ! you are doing a shit ton of work brother! Thank you! If I can help don’t hesitate to let me know! Hope your garden is showing you some love in return!

6 Likes

B is almost impossible to get a hold of now a days through social media. I tried that avenue a while back myself and just gave up and called him.

@cannabissequoia what specifically are you asking? If they are still around for sale or if they still exist? I had them myself, may even have more I am not sure. I have about 50 to 70 of his crosses.

5 Likes

:blush:
My dumb ass didn’t know that strain was near-unobtainium(or so the voices are telling me now), and it has successfully landed in our planned “top-5 run-off” poll. It’s easy to kick that strain off the list and move the next highest-vote up a notch… in this case it’s TGA/Vortex.

Bodhi sounds like a guy who makes :heart_eyes: friends whereever he happens to be (AdamDunn, ‘Everyone Loves Bodhi’), so I wasn’t sure if you two grew up together :wink: or if there was any connection at all.

In the interest of not disappointing our Jolly OG Krew :family_men_girl: here who cast their votes I thought I’d risk martyring :crossed_swords: my reputation :tophat: here a bit by asking if a pack could be arranged for us in OG’s good name…trade/sell/beg/wash dishes, whatever. :joy: From the sound of it I bet’d he’d at least give us an approving paternal nod. :hugging: :seedling:

:thinking:

7 Likes

Should we swap out Chem91XTOK for Vortex due to CS’s fumblings?

• Yes, get on with it, please
  • No, I demand satisfaction

0 voters

5 Likes

I thought hybrid vigor was something that happened only when pure lines get crossed? Dammit…now I’ve got to hit the books again.

2 Likes

@MisticHaze I’m really glad you started this thread. I was up in MT for the last couple weeks and didn’t see it till now, but wanted to say thanks. What a great idea to crowdsource a seed run!!! Can’t wait to see how it turns out! Thanks a bunch also to @cannabissequoia for all the forum polling logistics and keeping a fire lit under this thread.

Regarding the chem91skva x TOK, I voted for it and SSDD because I was originally very interested in these when the @mia thread happened. I learned of mia’s sale on another forum and, through discussion with @Torontoke, we zeroed in on these as one of the many gems for sale at face value. He relayed our comments and interest to the person who eventually bought all of them from mia, and he did so with the clearly-stated understanding that those beans would either be donated to him or grown out by the buyer, specifically for a community F2 project exactly like this.

Well, I don’t want to start shit, so that person can choose to respond or not. It’s really not a big deal cuz they bought them, they own the seeds, and it’s totally their right to keep the beans or do whatever the F they want with them. I only mention this because I think this person should donate the seeds to this project, make sure they’re sent with appropriately-secured-and-tracked shipping methods to the chosen, legit grower here who will run them right away, and make F2 with them to give away completely free for the community. Wouldn’t that effing rock? :smiley: :hugging:

I know, I know…that’s a really tall order, but I think this community could really separate itselves from IG and the other canna forums by pulling this off and doing it completely from the kindness and generosity of members. Maybe it goes without saying, but I’m thinking that the people who collaborated on making this happen could earn a lot of social capital and community credibility through this one small project. If they didn’t have a profit motive, that is. Just sayin’ :wink:

Let’s hope this happens.

Incidentally, I emailed bodhi with a link to this thread and asked if he had any more SSDD and chem91skva x TOK rattling around in his fridge. I don’t expect a reply, so don’t get your hopes up, but if I get one, I’ll let you all know. Hell, maybe he’ll reply here :heart_exclamation:

10 Likes

@McMuffin I believe it’s all because the razzleberry is 100% indica so crossing it with 100% sativa would insure hybrid vigor, but with the strong 80/20 sativa it should still have the vigor because of the pure indica line

1 Like

@Hoodini I’ve heard that sativa/indica percentages are almost meaningless, that the stereotypical traits associated with either sativa or indica something something…damn I need to find where I read that

2 Likes

Please I would love to read it my bro! You might very well be right either way I believe it would be a great cross! True f1 or not :wink:

3 Likes

@Hoodini Found it!

5 Likes

Interesting post I read on another forum.

Story is from Wired Mag a few years ago, love that Mag, or did, its more of a Tech Trend Mag now esp in print form, grrrr!!

SO, MY BROTHER was like “Bro check out this Blueberry Kush,” and I was like, kind of sketched out because last week my cousin was like “Bro check out this Blueberry Kush,” and even then I was like “This Blueberry Kush looks a lot like the Purple Sour Diesel that I got from that girl I was contact dancing with at Golden Gate Park last weekend” and even that stuff wasn’t even all that purple. It was like, red colored. Plus I think it smelled different?

Yo, I’m only saying this because it’s not my imagination. Check it out, Rasta: A pair of Canadian plant scientists compared the genes of hundreds of Cannabis plants and found that the way the community names its plants is all messed up. This goes all the way down to the basic split between strains of weed that supposedly give you an uppy high versus something more mellow.

First of all, chill out. Nobody is trying to narc anyone out. In Canada—where the government is way more ‘lax about Mary Jane—the authors compared the DNA of about 130 different Cannabis plants. This means both marijuana and hemp. They didn’t make any assumptions, because good scientists don’t judge, bro.

Instead, they just had their computer group the different Cannabis strains according to their genomes. “We chop all those genomes up into about 14,000 small pieces, and use a method to compare those pieces across different samples,” says Sean Myles, an agricultural geneticist at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia, and author of the paper. “After you’ve looked at the same portions of DNA across all samples you can get an idea of how related they are.”

The first split cleanly separated hemp from marijuana. “Previously many people had thought that the two were only different at the specific gene that regulates expression of THC,” says Myles.

From there, things got dicey. In the marijuana community, weed is grouped into two basic groups: Sativa has tall, thin leaves, and is supposed to give uppy, euphoric highs, while Indica, which has short, fat leaves is supposed to give you that nice body chill. But the Indica/Sativa divide wasn’t well supported in the data. Like, Jamaican Lamb’s Bread, which is supposed to be a Sativa strain, was pretty much identical to some Afghani Indica. “They’re not totally wrong, but the split is nowhere near as accurate as you’d need to be in another horticultural crop with a formal classification system,” says Myles.

And that trickles down into the whole strain naming convention. Think about if you had a case of the munchies, and bought what were advertised as some sweet, juicy Fuji apples. Then you get home, and instead you’ve got a bunch of mealy Braeburns. Yech!

But this goes beyond simple branding issues. Marijuana is a medicinal drug in many places in the US and Canada, and distributors use those names to help patients manage things like anxiety, glaucoma, or chronic pain. “The thing that is important is the medical community claims that Indica is good for certain things, and Sativa is good for others, but that must all be hog wash because the Indica/Sativa labels don’t correlate well with the genetics,” says Myles.

This isn’t some big weed industry conspiracy though. More likely, it stems from the fact that marijuana cultivation was underground for so long. And The Man still makes it really hard for scientists to study that Sweet Jane.

Finally, not everybody growing pot knows how breeding works. If you clone your friend’s Sour Diesel from a cutting, then it’s totally cool to call the new plant Sour Diesel. But, if you get a seed labeled as “Sour Diesel,” there’s no way that’s the same plant. Even if the seed came from a female Sour Diesel mated with a male Sour Diesel. Think about it this way: Even if a pair of male and female human clones had sex and made a baby (sorry for the visual), that kid would not be an exact genetic copy. The genes get mixed up, and therefore the baby deserves a new name.

But as the social and legal windows shift towards acceptance, some sort of formal classification will be necessary. “From an industry standpoint, there have been moves towards developing more consistency,” says Taylor West, deputy director of the National Cannabis Industry Association. “There’s no real centralized information, so it’s difficult for people to tell one strain of Strawberry Kush from the next.”

West says genetic testing will be hugely important, not just because it will standardize the medicinal aspect of weed and make clinical trials possible, but also for intellectual property reasons. “Right now because there’s no federal oversight on the US market, you don’t have things like trademarks or intellectual property,” she says.

That interest in genetics doesn’t surprise Myles, considering the marijuana industry is one of the fastest growing industries in the US. “I’m volunteering to take that on, in case anybody asks,” Myles says, for any weed growers out there who want to get their strains in order.

10 Likes

Everyone! I don’t need to vote on anything. I’m happy with whatever you pick, however I think we should def have an Indica and a Sativa to appeal to everyone. I think most about medical users. Like I said before… I love the idea of this and am willing to pitch in towards costs if need be.

4 Likes

Even if we end up selecting a mostly indica strain (or a two indica cross if we get a donation, like sunshine daydream, as the top choice and I buy the runner up) someone will be able to cross our results with a sativa if they wish (and I hope they do).

Plus I doubt this will be the last time we’ll do this. Maybe next time we can do a Sativa only crowdsourced seed run.

4 Likes