Seed Trading, Moderated (Part 1)

Cali-O goes back to the early 1970s in Southern California bred by Jerry Beisler. Sam Skunkman later (supposedly) got beans of it from Jerry’s ex-wife and took them with him to Holland. The issue with Cali-O is that they peak in orange terpenes before they peak in cannabinoids. I found some Cali-O beans in Europe. I have not seen any of them on the west coast in a long time. Lots of hybrids and pseudo Cali-O out there. There was also California Red Bud, a child of Cali-O and I forget what else. Panama or Colombian Red? I have not seen or found any Red Bud at all. Extinct?

5 Likes

If you can see this this is some great red bud that you mention it that I’m smoking right now I just picked it up it’s from grow West in Baltimore Maryland from health for life it’s called great pearls I’m going to put a link up hopefully you can see it tell me what you think looks like some good Redbud to me shit smokes great and it’s got a 5-star rating hits like a champ super citrusy https://weedmaps.com/brands/grow-west-md/products/grow-west-md-grape-pearls

1 Like

I appreciate the information because I really want to track this true strain down and I don’t live on that Coast so it’s hard for me to make connections I got an eighth of Agent Orange from the smoke shop and found one seed in an ounce it looks viable I haven’t even tried to pop it yet because I have too much going on right now with two autos and five regulars but dude seriously keep me in mind if you ever find anything they you think might be the real deal I keep hearing ae77 is a cut of Calio I may be wrong I usually am. But overgrow was my source information when it went down. Stop everything I was doing with weed and my life went downhill now that I’ve come back everything is going great but there’s a few strange that I’m hunting I have I believe Neville’s Northern Lights I got it through Nirvana or is it Mau? I’m pretty sure Neville created Northern Lights which I’m growing right now Nirvana Northern Lights sorry I got a little off topic but definitely dude I enjoy your knowledge like I said I build Back stories to the strings I just want to make a library I believe there should be a cannabis Museum where we preserve land race genetics as well as experiment with cross breeds but there has to be somewhere we can have a genetic Bank to preserve marijuana we owe it to ourselves and I would give my life towards that goal I have no children nothing tying me anywhere I’m 34 going on 35 I have knowledge of growing I’m ready. Thanks for hollering though bro sometimes I get a little bit off track I’m sorry I’m smoking this ogkb supposed to be one of the strongest strains it’s definitely got me effed up. Be safe everybody thanks for the comments.
-J

2 Likes

Are their any Chem lineage seeds around?

3 Likes

The california red bud is still around it was always referred to as red hair sensimilia back in the day and that’s the first thing I’ve heard of it being related to calio. California orange and calio grew and tasted much different the few times I grew them. Calio was a club clone first time I saw it and grew more like a kush had been nixed in or something to that effect. Tangie is supposed to be a calio creation but grows nothing like it or the california orange I’ve grown. The original California orange grew more like a haze plant in structure and the calio was more potent with a og tyoe growth. The tangie I have grown was better in my opinion much more terpene production and tighter nugs, but not a very big plant, the california orange was a hairy beast.

2 Likes

For real I’ve been looking around now that you mention it it’s like the legend of California Orange. Is there anybody that might see this they can get out there and really see if there’s any left or if it’s just died out or like you said it was just a Boutique strain for a minute back in the day but from what I smoke when I was a kid the citrus just stays in my head and like you said how hairy they are. I feel like I’m chasing a unicorn. I know it exists somebody has some seeds or something going on. If you’re seeing this wake up and holler at me I need you Citrus holder! Thanks Heritage I appreciate it dog your knowledge of and I mean. Stay safe
-J

1 Like

I dont know about it currents existence , I know it was a long time staple in california and about 13 years ago a shit ton of the cuttings were going around , somebody might have seeds in northern california but It wasent that impressive potency wise and it had a weird citrus taste from what I remember, more dirt and oranges then lemon. If I had to guess I’d say it was a poss skunk / haze cross or maybe a haze afghan but most likely a mix of a few different citrus smelling plants from the 1970’s. Good luck on your hunt though.

1 Like

5 Likes

3 Tres por favor senor. Lol thanks man goin in the compilation. One day I’ll be the curator of the World Cannabis Preservation Meuseum. Haha one can wish. I love the handwritten notes tho dude thanks for your time.
-J

1 Like

so im after some decent seeds or pref cuttings im in uk midlands need around 10 reg or 6 fem just want to grow something strong for my next crop will do a grow diary on them im nearly finished my 1st grow growing sensi skunk and now wanting some strong strain i have money to spend would rather give to a fellow og’r than to some seed bank pls mail me will cover all shipping costs thanks in advance

3 Likes

Those hand written notes are actualy a seed catalog from the 1980s ( cultivators choice )

3 Likes

Northern Lights came out of the Seattle area here in the PNW. One one the the islands west of Seattle (most likely Whidbey Is). Said to be bred by a guy only known as “The Indian”. Northern Lights cuts are still around here. The strain is common in the weed stores in Oregon and Warshington. It is an indica dominant strain that puts me to sleep. So I am not that interested in it, or many other pure indicas for that matter. I prefer the early hybrids like Cali-O, SAGE, and Maui Waui (not Maui Wowie, which is a pure sativa).

6 Likes

I don’t know if you seen me but that’s what I’ve been hunting down is Cali o I had it when I was a kid I haven’t had it since but like you said and from what I’ve heard it was a cut that came out of California in the Bay Area but that’s cool as shit to know the background on Northern Lights I didn’t know that for real but right now I have one growing from Nirvana and it’s the biggest plant I have in my tenant right now. And a handwritten Seed Catalog that’s bananas dude I’m looking for that Orange oh that’s right this is the same thread I’m a fucking idiot. I really didn’t know that Northern Lights came from that area it makes perfectly good sense to me it looks like it’s Bulletproof. Hopefully the strain that I have from there is pretty decent because it’s a definitely stable as fuck you know what I mean like no mutations or anyting I don’t know how common mutations are but I’ve seen a lot of mutations with certain strains and none with others repeatedly grown out. Thank you guys for the notes I had no idea that was a Seed Catalog dude that’s fucking awesome. I’m dead-ass serious with the world cannabis seed preservation Museum. All the stuff needs to be compiled and saved before it’s too late. It is too late for some of it it’s stupid that I can’t get it cut sent to me a real Kite from up in that area of Northern Lights or the orange. Y’all be safe

3 Likes

Cali-O, California Orange, California Orange Bud and COB were all names for the same strain back in the day. Tangie and a lot of other hybrids with it came later. Here in the PNW Cali-O had a mass of orange hairs and orange flavor dominated the terps. I saw several grows of the original Cali-O here back in the medical days about 10 years ago. I passed on several cuts that I should have picked up. Red Bud and Red Hair weed were different strains. Red hair was any number of several early pure landrace Mexican and Colombian strains grown n the US as sinsemilla with tons of red hairs and skinny calyxes. No indica in them at all. California Red Bud had more of the red leaf to it like Colombian Red had. Cali-O was an early hybrid of sativa and indica, said to be 50/50.

Supposedly the later version of Cali-O was a back cross done in Holland for better indoor growing. There are several versions of Cali-O still floating around the west coast and Europe. They are not easy to find though.

7 Likes

that orange goji looks good as hell man I got some of those myself i will have to give them a try andI am looking to trade for autos if anybody is interested i dont have a lot but if anybody is interested get at me

3 Likes

If this is directed at me, I have 7 plants from seed and the queen mother Goji Clone.

6 Likes

Hey @PanchoVilla. Nice to hear from you and I hope you are well and properly lifted! I have 3 California Orange coming in the mail. I don’t know what to expect from them. At my wedding, 34 years ago, my soon to be Brother in law took me for a ride shortly before the ceremony was to begin. We smoked a joint of Cali Orange to commemorate the occasion, got completely lost in the California hills and were 10 minutes late for the wedding and soooooo high. Good times…much love and respect my friend…

:cowboy_hat_face:

10 Likes

got these ones as you’re talking about Cali O - supposed to be great !
Ecto Cooler (Aeric77 Cali O x Gorilla Biscuit) (Seeds of Compassion)

2 Likes

Nice! If/when u make these avil let me know. I’d be very interested.

2 Likes

Nice wedding story. Future wife or maybe your future ex-wife must have not been so happy that you guys were late. I would have to be completely ripped at my wedding. Never had one though. Just a private marriage at a county courthouse. Confidential marriage in California. Under the table. No witnesses needed. No public records of it happening. Only state that has confidential marriages. Legal and all, but not public knowledge. 4 years of marital bliss later, we split up.

4 Likes