Seeded buds viability?

Howdy y’all, I’m finishing up first grow, I control pollenated a few select buds, it’s been a little over 4 weeks of seed development, on week 7 of flower. I clipped one small bud off with the seeds and popped a few out of the freshly picked bud to test. Most of them are brown and veiney so that’s good. I put 5 on a paper towel to see if they are good. It’s been 3 days and none of my select seeds have sprouted. So, does this mean that the seeds Have to finish drying within the bud first? Or just because they are brown they still aren’t developed all the way? I figured it wouldn’t matter if I pulled a brown seed out of the live bud.

7 Likes

The seeds, much like the flower itself, need time to cure as well before they’ll germinate properly… sound good looking so far and should darken up a bit in the next couple weeks.

Nothing you did wrong, should germ just fine after the dry out a bit

8 Likes

Oh, and by control pollenated I meant I forgot to mist and put plants back with the fans and got random seeds all over the effing place😂

2 Likes

Oh ok, do they need to cure IN the seed pod as well? As in leave them the eff alone? I do have like 30 I popped out sitting on a plate from that fresh bud. I hope they still have a chance!

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve heard about 3 weeks to dry/cure. Some people will give them a good freeze if they’re real young like that. It simulates the process of the seed going through winter (a good freeze) and stimulates it to sprout when the temps are good again. I never do that though.

I’ve had them fall from the buds and eventually sprout in the same pot. That means they were dry and cured enough sitting in the bud.

Ensuring they have dried and get a few weeks of time is about all you need for success. Good luck!

3 Likes

I can’t speak to all the suggestions in this thread but I can tell you when I make seed I let the plant finish, harvest, dry, collect seed, then leave the seeds in an open container for a couple of weeks to dry.

Works good.

7 Likes

It’s best imo to let them sit in the buds to dry and mature. It’s just the easiest way to ensure success. They could still be growing but once they’re brown they’re mostly there. Giving a little extra time just guarantees the vitality.

5 Likes

Yes all of that makes complete sense, one thing I did notice is the little dimple in the seed, some of them when I pulled out the seed had a really small clear “hair” like attachment sticking out of it, I think that’s where the seed grows from, like a root so to speak. For sure will let the seeds finish out and retrieve when buds are cured all the way. All of you totally helped clear things out for me, thank you all so much, and I hope this helps others reading down the road as well!

They be fine just set them somewhere dark to dry out

1 Like

This is exactly what I do and have had nothing but great germination rates :+1:

1 Like

Love all the advise here. Now I know what to do in a few months when I make my first :slight_smile:

2 Likes