šŸŒ± Germination Laboratory @ MadScientist šŸŒ±

Claro, era una pregunta retorica. Pero en ausencia de gravedad tambiƩn huyen de la luz.
La raĆ­z tiene gravitatrismo positivo y fototropismo negativo

2 Likes

Que buena esa, muy cientifica la explicacion, claro, corto y concisoā€¦

Thatā€™s a good one, very scientific the explanation, clear, short and conciseā€¦

Voy a poner otra bolsa con luz abajo y obsuridad arriba a ver que pasa.

2 Likes

Suena a un buen experimento, esta buenisimoā€¦

Sounds like a good experiment, really goodā€¦

1 Like

Good question MiG. What I donā€™t like about the PTM is that the seedlings are generally exposed to light. And seedlings raised in zero gravity environments are shown to respond to light, including root development.

So, @Viva_Mexico Iā€™ll stipulate that gravitropism is the dominant factor influencing root development in soil-planted seeds. But phototropism is the dominant factor in shoot development, and can be the dominant factor in root development in the absence of gravity, as this NASA experiment on the Space Station showed.

These are seedlings grown in zero gravity in clear agar, exposed to light from one end. With no gravity at all, shoots grow toward the light, roots away from it. Exactly the same as in gravity environments.

The full video is here. The relevant part begins around 7:00 in.

Roots use gravity, but donā€™t need gravity, to grow correctly. Exposing root tips to light, such as in the NASA experiment, or with ā€œPTMā€, can initiate phototropic responses that can compete with or replace gravitropic responses. That, combined with the 2-D sprouting substrate of a paper towel against a plate, plastic container or bag, is likely why PTM seedlings develop curled root tips.

@Viva_Mexico, since you seem to have a strong preference for ex situ germination, maybe you can explain, what is the benefit to the plant of ex situ germination? Other than giving anxious seed-poppers something to look at for three days, what is the benefit?

-b420

8 Likes

Puedes buscar los experimentos de la NASA o ESA con sus germinaciones en ausencia de gravedadā€¦ La raĆ­z solo ondulaā€¦

1 Like

Precisely @MiG -b420

1 Like

Yo hago lo mismo. Pero en una macetita, claro.

2 Likes

Oh yes it went into a 3 gallon fabric tan potā€¦

2 Likes

It explains that gravity itā€™s helpful but not imperative. Talks about other determinant factors to the subject, but it doesnā€™t say what those areā€¦!?

1 Like

Very good thread and great video @Baudelaire
I think it is important to state that my point is not to grow the root more than a few days or inches, and only for transplanting a seedling into a new medium.

Muy buena la conversaciĆ³n y excelente video de baudelaire. ComentĆ³ que mi punto por todo eso es solo por los primeros dĆ­as del crecimiento de la semilla y raiz.

4 Likes

Dice que la gravedad no es la Ćŗnica ā€œfuerzaā€ que actua sobre la raiz, pero si la mas poderosa en La Tierra: quizĆ” la genĆ©tica, aparte de seguir la gravedad e huir de la luz, tenga su papel tambiĆ©nā€¦como por genĆ©tica los blancos seguimos naciendo blancos en Monte Adentro aunque tengamos un Sol de Sabana Africanaā€¦ O los negros sigan naciendo negros en Alaskaā€¦

3 Likes

Very interesting discussion of newly sprouted roots.

I only use paper towels in order to check the viability/germination rate of a new seed crop. Afterwards, I discard the sprouted seeds.
I never soak the seeds. I simply place them directly into my soil-less blend.
This saves a step, as well as avoiding any possible stress/trauma to the delicate root tip.
If, in the rare event a seedling does not emerge from the medium, I remove the dead seed with a teaspoon, replace the divot, and put a new seed into the medium in the cup.
Que sera, sera.

2 Likes

The only reason I do the paper towel method, ok ā€œex situā€, is when I expect less than 90% germination from the seeds. I know some of my older seeds only germ at about 50%, if I direct-seed into soil it wastes time and space.

Some of my older C99 seeds were from when I was struggling to get the flowering plants to finish healthy, the seeds are weak but well-bred so I keep using them. They donā€™t get any worse, they germinated at 50% 15 years ago and still do today. Cannabis seeds are SO easy to germinate, almost every other plant Iā€™ve grown is much harder. For example the ā€œBigā€ begonia seeds I like need a month sitting on top of wet soil to germinate. Other perennials need cold stratification for months, some seeds to be scraped, scarified, donā€™t complicate things for cannabis, itā€™s like sunflowers.

4 Likes

Here we go again, i have two sick seedlings going and donā€™t really wanna deal with any of that. Iā€™m germinating now:

• One (1) CDB Jam Fem by Delicious Seeds
  • Three (3) Sour Diesel Auto by G13 Labs (Not Freebie)

Will end up culling those two sick ones, more than likely, so iā€™m gonna use their space with this.

2 Likes

After a little over 12 hours soaking, they have been put in paper towels, to be potted in 16 oz cups of 707. IĀ“m only doing 707 now. No amending or nothing. To eliminate variables.

They will all show tails by tomorrow morning, at which time they will be potted.

3 Likes

Good idea that way you know youll have a nitrogen deficiancy! HahahahaXD

2 Likes

oh i see i see, iā€™ll have to buy some coco and perlite today!

1 Like

Make sure you rinse it real good, not to clog the roots with junkā€¦

1 Like