Sending seeds. Cheap Mailing Strategy

What’s the cheapest way the send seeds. I was thinking of using normal white envelopes that mail comes in. But I need a flat enough plastic container to hold the seeds. After this summer I’m going to be sending more seeds and would like some advice and links on what you guys have used.

7 Likes

Bubble envelope with seeds in an eppendorph tube. Envelopes go through rollers and can crush seeds.

12 Likes

Most standard mail post has a max dimensional thickness of 5mm aka 3/16" , after that you typically incur extra postage myself being Canadian the next step up is a max 20mm thick before going into other rates.

As for containers to store them in depends on the above, but microcentrifuge tubes work well and are cheap. but they won’t pass that 5mm limit. Thats where 3/16" corrugated cardboard or sign plastic comes in. But you have to consider that machinable letter post runs through feed system rollers at high speed so its best to make sure said seeds are how would you say buffered or have extra crush support around then to prevent said dusting of seeds “speaking from experience”.

You will figure out a way as to what works best for you.

9 Likes

Coroplast doesn’t always work. I’ve definitely been the recipient of some crushed seeds that came in envelopes with coroplast. For smaller seeds, coroplast is more likely to work.

I’m not aware of a better method for stamped envelopes. The next cheapest mailing option for the US is first class mail.

11 Likes

Never had a damaged seed in a DVD case. Can usually mail them cheap too

9 Likes

I’ve thought that doubled up pop sickle sticks taped into a folder up piece of paper then a bag of seeds taped in between the sticks might work pretty well.

5 Likes

I use cheap plastic pens you can fill them or with small baggies you can get 3 bags with around 16 to 20 seeds per bag in one pen.

18 Likes

Inside a pen. Get some cheap promo pens, remove the guts and fill. I’ve seen them put in 0.2 ml centrifuge tubes where they fit perfectly inside a pen.

13 Likes

Could I possibly use corrugated aluminum? It’s light and should be durable. Or would that add too much weight to the final container.

Make sure its not those cheap black plastic shipping bags seedsupreme uses, I’ve had friends get packages where there was a puncture in the plastic and clearly the pen had fallen out at some point.

3 Likes

$.25 cardboard coin flip

Garden hose washer

Seeds inside washer which is inside coin flip. Staple or tape coin flip secure. Several will fit side by side inside a first class envelope.

29 Likes

these were the containers i used, and it was thin enough to be sent as regular untracked letter mail inside a small bubble envelope. it’s definitely cheaper to order the plastic vials tho… they should fit in a regular envelope as well
https://www.ebay.com/itm/200-1-20-oz-CLEAR-Lacon-Sample-Containers-for-scents-Younique-Makeup-Soap-/382349296264
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/100Pcs-0-2ml-2ml-Centrifuge-Test-Tube-Vial-Container-Clear-Plastic-Lab-Tools-Acc/223068399571

7 Likes

Slick idea. May have to steal that one…

2 Likes

That’s a really elegant solution there

3 Likes

Thick birthday card. And hand write “every year you grow”… “more and more” haha

8 Likes

Haha just sent some in a birthday card yesterday.

2 Likes

you can stick them in little jewelry bags with small wooden beads or rice.
Or pack them into bags then into a hollowed out pen.These were methods used when i ordered seeds.

If shipping domestic I ordered a a few very cheap bags of vials with caps that many seeds come in now a days. Probably the best way to do it, then you can put foam or cotton to fill the dead space.
Us postal service doesnt pay as much attention to domestic mail as it does foreign packages.

3 Likes

I think they pay attention to all of it these days.

3 Likes

What this guy said. The Eppendorf tube is ideal because it’s better for seed storage, too. Scientific-grade plastic won’t off-gas seeds and the seal is airtight. Coin envelopes can go through rollers, though, you can send seeds for a single stamp instead of two. With tracking in a bubble mailer with tubes it usually costs me $3.50.

6 Likes

Its currently impossible though. Same reason drugs still come in through ports, there is just too many packages and mail pieces to scan and investigate.

3 Likes