Seeds shipping tips

IMO, usps is the way to go. a 4 oz first class package via Pirate Ship or similar is about $3.10…with tracking!!

I just use everyday items and keep it simple…I usually put 10 seeds in each beer bottle cap, crumpled up toilet paper then enclose it with duct tape…never had any seeds crushed…I’m not gonna go outa my way just to buy special containers for shipping free seeds folks. I actually just shipped some pepper seeds to a member here on Overgrow and I used 2 bud light beer caps and used a plain white envelope

16 Likes

I guess I’m going to have to get myself a couple 6 packs!

6 Likes

Originally I thought this was a forum of closet numistatists posing as weed growers. Does anyone know who first started the trend of using coin flips?

3 Likes

We do both :wink:

2 Likes

Not who, but quite an old tech. apparently; re: Molta_Mota’s comment in the following thread, first post:
“This is how almost all traded beans came back in the day”

That’s a worthwhile thread to peruse.

-Dr. Zinko

5 Likes

All great methods - thanks!
I recycled centerfuge containers in a stiff bubble pack for mine - hopefully they make it.
Shipping is ground and within Ca. so shouldn’t be any issues

I asked because I’ve been freely given seeds a few times now (incredible community!) - and I finally have a chance to give back to a friend — kind of a dry run before diving into my first seed run that (hopefully) will be distributed to further the goal - “Grow the World”

1 Like

i had bad luck with some shipping methods so i ended up sticking with 4x8 padded manila envelopes. i put the seeds in small plastic ‘centrifuge’ tubes. it’s definitely not the cheapest method but that’s just the method i prefer.

2 Likes

If you plan on shipping a lot buy a bag of lacons (p.n.120300) from lacontainer. I skip the foam inserts and just pull apart a cotton ball.

2 Likes

I used to do that, and it works great.

3 Likes

Beer bottle caps will always be readily available and it gets recycled

4 Likes

The only challenge I see with beer caps is that they are metal. I dont trust mail sorting magnets or prying artificial eyes. Otherwise I think its a great idea.

1 Like

Been using them for 17yrs. and never had problems and shipped some seeds to South America and United Kingdom and they all received them…hope this helps.

6 Likes

Plastic lined, enough room for a bit of padding, probably enough metals to haze out an X-ray…
---- yeah. That definitely helps! :grinning:

fwiw - UPS says my package was delivered. The pkg said “Seeds” right on it too! :laughing:
I think shipping within California should be fine - unless your driver grows…
Waiting to hear back to find out if they arrived intact.

1 Like

I dont use UPS I only use USPS 17+ years and use regular white envelopes with 2 stamps bromigos…when I ship seeds I’m not gonna over think nor over spend…

8 Likes

Coin flips are the new fashion around here lol I just got seeds sent to me ,it’s handy I use the little hard plastic tubes I need to buy some coin flips

2 Likes

Hi there people, can you people show the best seeds in mail i(nternationally) techniques?
It will help alot, waiting for this awesome community’s help.

1 Like

@Afghoxotics

3 Likes

Exactly as OTUG says… :+1:

Keep the weight under 1oz (28gm) - that’s usually 2, sometimes 3 flips including card and envelope.

Cheers
G

1 Like

Correct…great way the weak spot is …STAPLES , especially if your mailing in envelope internationally.

I use a mailing co in USA for Amazon and mail etc to Panama :panama:

Got a pull of some seeds few weeks ago…the envelope had been opened at Panama City P O.
and resealed and forwarded to my local Post office, ( out in the sticks )
All was intact…when I asked the girl at the local P O why it had been opened …

Her reply was the machine detects metal …and hence alerts.
For 100% internationally I would just tape the cardboard.

But anything that beats the system is :+1:

3 Likes